Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Navigating with Bob in Rome & Tuscany--A trip report--part two

Apr 13th, 2001, 11:40 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

SOUTH TUSCANY: We got our Auto Europe rental car at the Termini station, the small A-class Mercedes, and managed to get out of Rome unscathed. We exited A-1 at Orvieto and drove into the heart of town, parking less than 200 meters from the magnifico Duomo. We both like Orvieto and decided to stay for lunch at a very nice trattoria, the Antica Bucchero. We then decided to stay on the old road, the S-2 Via Cassia, all the way to our base in south Tuscany, the tiny spa town of Bagno Vignoni. We stayed at the Posta Marcucci for two nites and would recommend it for this region. It is well located to explore this part of Tuscany---the Val d'Orcia---it is halfway between the wine towns of Montalcino and Montepulciano. Most of the guests were there for the famous thermal baths. We used it to explore the beautiful rolling hills and charming villages of south Tuscany. The topography and look is different here---fewer trees, deeper shades of green, and a more peaceful ambiance. My trusty Canon was working overtime as we drove the loop to Castiglione, St Antimo, and eventually to Montalcino. We had lunch at the wonderful but expensive Poggio Antico, about 5 km. south of town. Susan got the menu with no prices and ordered the artichokes and goose liver appetizer. It only cost 36.000 [$17], about what we would usually pay for an entire lunch for both. Thanks to KAM for her tip on this place---we finally made it and it proved to be a real experience.

The highlight of the PM was our quest to find that beautiful tiny capella with the cypress trees in the middle of the open fields---you know the one that you see in every photo album of Tuscany. I had spotted it once on a previous trip but did not have the time to find the farm road to get to it. This time we did. It was not easy, but a local farmer directed us to a dirt road that led us to within about 100 meters. Wow--you should see the photos. You too can find it---located about halfway San Quiricio and Pienza on the south side of the road. You can see it well from the road, but I was not going to be happy until I could touch it. There are few tour busses in this area---it is my favorite part of Tuscany.

END OF PART TWO---TO BE CONTINUED IN SIENA AND ASSISI !

Apr 13th, 2001, 11:47 AM
Betsy

Ahhh....

Thank you! Thank you!

Apr 13th, 2001, 02:41 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Betsy, We did not pin down the chant times at St. Antimo. We were there at about 11:00 and missed it. However, still worth the trip. Do not miss the murals at Abbey Mt. Oliveto Maggiore.

Apr 13th, 2001, 04:23 PM
A-Rod

Thanks Bob ! I agree that the Crete Sensei has the most dramatic scenes in Tuscany for photo ops.

Apr 13th, 2001, 04:31 PM
Betsy

Bob

I've been to St. Antimo and Mt. Oliveto Maggiore (nice little restaurant right on the grounds). Can't wait to show both places to my husband. I think someone posted the chanting schedule on this board at one time.

We are staying at an agriturismo in Pienza, Santo Pietro.

Apr 13th, 2001, 04:37 PM
Betsy

Not to rush you, Bob, but when's the next installment coming

Feb 4th, 2002, 07:37 PM
TheTraveler

Is Betsy still out there? We are thinking of staying at Agriturismo Santo Pietro in Pienza. Does she or anyone else have comments??? Thank you very much! The Traveler.

Feb 5th, 2002, 06:27 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Topping for Joe

Feb 5th, 2002, 07:18 AM
sandi

In 1999 I drove thru that area and right by the stand of trees. I knew immediately it was the trees I'd seen in all the Tuscany books. Even though the field around it was bare at the time I felt like I' had just seen the great Tuscan memorial..

Feb 5th, 2002, 08:52 AM
Fred

I am also interested in any feedback regarding Agriturismo Santo Pietro in Pienza. Can anyone help?

Feb 5th, 2002, 03:33 PM
TheTraveler

Hey There! Come on guys! Help us out with this..I can't seem to get any opinions on Tuscan Agriturimos! Anyone stayed at Santo Pietro near Pienza? Let's hear from you...PLEASE????

Feb 5th, 2002, 07:32 PM
Diane

I can't say anything about Santo Pietro, but the area around Pienza, and Pienza itself,is pretty extraordinary. You probably will love it.

Feb 5th, 2002, 07:55 PM
Betsy

Oops, sorry I didn't know I was being paged...

My husband and I stayed at Santo Pietro for four nights last October. It's a restored farmhouse situated right on the main road between Pienza and Montepulciano. The location was great for seeing the sights that Bob describes above.

The house itself is OK. We had no traffic noise because our room was in a wing away from the road that looked out over the valley toward Pienza. We had bountiful dinners there two nights. Giulia cooks delicious Italian home-style meals. There were several courses. Felice presides over the homey dining room, insuring that everyone has a good time.

The room decor is plain, but for the price, it's a good place to stay.

Try to have dinner at Latte de Lune in Pienza. Outstanding. You'll need a reservation. We stopped by in the afternoon and made a reservation for the same night.

Buon viaggio

Feb 6th, 2002, 11:19 AM
Cameron

Betsy--or anyone else,
Is there a website/e-mail where we could get information on rates, etc., for Santo Pietro? It sounds wonderful! Thanks. Cameron

Feb 6th, 2002, 08:13 PM
Betsy

Cameron, don't think Santo Pietro has a website. I found it through www.karenbrown.com. There's a little info on her site. Tel/fax is 0578 74 84 10.

Feb 7th, 2002, 02:26 AM
Steve James

Cameron - Here's the website:
www.ilsanpietro.it

Steve

Feb 7th, 2002, 10:10 AM
Betsy

Heads up! The website posted by Steve James is for a property in Salerno, NOT the agriturismo near Pienza in Tuscany.

Feb 7th, 2002, 01:56 PM
TheTraveler

Cameron and Others, Hi! I, initially, contacted Santo Pietro by email (address given on Karen Brown site) but got no response. I, then, tried fax in English, and Felice was prompt in responding tho in Italian. I have since faxed him in Italian using the freetranslation.com site. Rooms are 62 Euros per night half board.

Has anyone stayed at Madonna delle Grazia a little further south? It seems to be a comparable cost. I am wondering how it compares. It seems like the location would not be as good.

Thanks for your help.The Traveler

Feb 7th, 2002, 06:53 PM
Top It Off

Topped

Feb 7th, 2002, 09:47 PM
Cameron

Thanks to all for the information. Cameron

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO