Reload this Page >

Navigating with Bob in Rome & Tuscany--A trip report--part one

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 10:31 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

It was our eighth trip to Italia and our 20th to Europe, but would you believe that I had never set foot in Roma. Susan has been there with her college friends in 1958, and was quick to comment that a few things had changed. I had purposely avoided the big city experience until I could do it right, and we gave ourselves six days to do just that. <BR> <BR>We found Rome to be more user-friendly than anticipated. They had spiffed up the city for the Year 2000 festivities and it showed. We had done our homework, and with a good map and help from the Scala Reale people we embarked on our Roman odyssey. I would be remiss not to say that a good deal of our plan came directly from Ed & Julies wonderful web site www.twenj.com ]. It is a great resource for anyone planning to spend time in Rome. The other resource was Scala Reale. We had booked two walking tours with them [www.scalareale.org]. We were a bit disappointed in the first tour, but their fabulous four hour Vatican tour is not to be missed. Our Rome highlights included: <BR> <BR>* The Scala Reale walking tour of theVatican museum and St. Peters <BR>* The self-guided walking tour of the Roman Forum <BR>* A half-day trip by bus tour to Tivoli to see Hadrians Villa and Villa d' Este <BR>* Enjoying la dolce vita on a sunny afternoon in Piazza Navona <BR>* The Galleria Borghese on a beautiful Sunday afternoon---not to be missed <BR> <BR>Our best meal was at Il Giglio near the opera house, but we also liked the Ristorante Abruzzi for a more homey experience.Our best lunch was at Il 34, near the Piazza di Spagna. We used the taxis alot and found them very reasonable. We would typically taxi to the far point of the day and then meander back home on foot. That plan seems to work well. <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 10:44 AM
Betsy

Welcome back, Bob! <BR> <BR>Have filed your Rome restaurant suggestions for our October trip and can't wait to read the rest of your posts, especially the southern Tuscany part. Hurry! Hurry! <BR> <BR>Ciao

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 11:55 AM
Jim

BOB, <BR>What were the dates of your trip?

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 01:12 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Just got back on Wed.--gone 2 weeks. <BR>We had great spring weather except for one stormy day in Umbria near the end.

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 02:44 PM
Jim

BOB, <BR>My wife and I along with my son and daughter-in-law spent three nights(March 26th thru 29th) in your stomping ground on Amelia Island. We stayed at the Ritz.(their club floor is beyond belief) We probably walked past your place on our daily walks along the path from the hotel. Nice digs!!! Also enjoyed walking thru your newest supermarket--reminded me of our European discovery visits. Glad to hear you had a good time. Looking forward to your next post. <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 01:13 PM
Irma

Bob, I really enjoy your reports. You seem to enjoy yourself so much. <BR>Grazie !