Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   national rail ticket - cheaper to get it on the day of travel? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/national-rail-ticket-cheaper-to-get-it-on-the-day-of-travel-902568/)

waterton888 Aug 13th, 2011 12:45 PM

national rail ticket - cheaper to get it on the day of travel?

Hello

I will be in London in a week time and need to go from Heathrow airport to Great Portland Street station (where the hostel is) by tube and was told that it was a bit complicated as I need to change a few trains and also because of my suitcase and it was suggested that I take the Heathrow Connect to Paddington station and then go on the national rail train from Paddington to Great Portland Street station. I am not sure what time I am arriving in London. Is it cheaper to get it on the day of travel.

alanRow Aug 13th, 2011 12:53 PM

It's never cheaper to buy on the day - but on that route the price is the same whether you buy on the day or 12 weeks in advance

GPS is slightly awkward to do but can be done by taking the Tube to Hammersmith, leaving the station and follow the signs to the Hammersmith & City Tube station where you take the Tube to GPS

joannay Aug 13th, 2011 06:22 PM

I think you're confusing the National Rail train system around the whole country with the London city transport system, tube & busses.

I do think the better plan is to get the Heathrow Connect train (not Heathrow Express which also goes to Paddington, more expensive). From Paddington get right on the tube, the Hammersmith & City Line, 3 stops to Great Portland St.

Depending on how long you'll be in London you may want to get yourself an Oyster Card when you get there, the cheapest way to get around.

flanneruk Aug 13th, 2011 09:46 PM

Do NOT transfer from a train at Paddington to the H&C tube with luggage.

Ever.

This is simply the most unpleasant (because of steps) and dangerous transfer (because of horrendous overcrowding on those steps)in any major metro system anywhere.

Around 0800-1000 on weekdays, queues for taxis at Paddington can take up to 45 minutes. The most effective route by public transport from Heathrow is:

- the Piccadilly Line tube from Heathrow to Kings Cross, then the H&C, Metropolitan or Circle Lines (all share the same westbound platform) to GPS

All other Tube routes involve the use of steps or walks. None as lethal as Paddington: but still a pain with luggage during rush hours.

The train from Heathrow to Paddington is, for 90-odd percent of arriving tourists, a truly useless way of getting into London. Only truly ill-informed guidebooks or websites have any truck with it.

joannay Aug 13th, 2011 10:04 PM

I'm sure what you say is correct. But it depends on how much luggage, does it not? A hostel stay can possibly imply a backpack in which case he might not mind the stairs. Personally, I like Paddington Station although generally get to Heathrow on the tube.