Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

National Geographic Survey - thread is "dead"

Nov 23rd, 2002, 03:09 PM
curious

This thread no longer has a 'Post a reply' button. What does that mean? 'Subject closed'? It is now # 76.
Never saw this happen before. Any ideas?

Nov 23rd, 2002, 03:14 PM
ggggg

All I can say is "hooray"!!!!!

Nov 23rd, 2002, 03:23 PM
xxx

I have seen Fodors do this before. If this thread is important to you, then move it to somewhere where it can get more replies, or keep its URL alive

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...2&tid=34381861

Nov 23rd, 2002, 03:29 PM
xxx

It is still here. Just scroll down a bit.

Nov 23rd, 2002, 04:21 PM
xxx

Thanks, Rex

Nov 23rd, 2002, 04:44 PM
Gerry K

Last year in my eighth grade English class, a girl of average intelligence asked me what state China was in, and another replied, "Detroit."

'Nuff said. We need to bring back geography classes.

Gerry K

Nov 23rd, 2002, 06:55 PM
Me

The thread had been ruined by some folks who turned it into a nasty political argument this afternoon. I see that Fodors has deleted those posts. Hopefully people can still post to it, as it had been an interesting and civil discussion for several days.

Nov 23rd, 2002, 07:19 PM
xxxxx

It is not dead - you just have to use some of that intelligence and scroll down to the end.

Nov 23rd, 2002, 08:45 PM
girlygirl

At the school that I work at I asked a pretty smart 5th grader "What country would I find the city of London in?" His answer "South America."

Nov 23rd, 2002, 10:51 PM
scholar

There is currently no link at the bottom of the thread to post a reply...so can I brag here I got 20 out of 20????

Nov 24th, 2002, 02:01 AM
xxxx

I am an American. I attended public schools. I scored 19/20 (easiest test I have ever taken). Maybe the fact that I had teachers that cared made a difference.

Nov 24th, 2002, 03:40 AM
my

I was a 20/20 too.
I don't understand why the religion question threw people. It said Christianity,followers of Christ, that would include Catholics, Baptists, Lutherans, and on and on. There are almost as many Catholics as Muslims so when you would add all the others in , it would have to be Christianity.

I wonder what the results would have been if the test were given to 45-55 yr olds? I think the US might have come out a little better then.

Nov 24th, 2002, 03:46 AM
little

I'm British and got them all right, mind you I'm 63!.

Nov 24th, 2002, 04:06 AM
Ira

Gerry K wrote
>Last year in my eighth grade English class, a girl of average intelligence asked me what state China was in, ...<

It's in a better state than it was under Mao and The Gang of Four.

Nov 24th, 2002, 04:11 AM
Ira

>I wonder what the results would have been if the test were given to 45-55 yr olds? I think the US might have come out a little better then.<

Well, I'm from the US and I got them all right.

I'm also one of those anal types who analyze data. The sample questions were chosen with the intent of making the US look bad. If you look at the entire report you will find that we were not so far behind.

This manipulation of the data allows the geography teachers to bemoan the sorry state of knowledge and ask for more funding.

It also supports D'Israeli's remark, "There are lies, damn lies, and statistics".

Nov 24th, 2002, 04:16 AM
Ira

girlygirl wrote
>...I asked a pretty smart 5th grader "What country would I find the city of London in?" His answer "South America."<

How silly. It's in NORTH America. London, Ontario, Canada.

Nov 24th, 2002, 04:21 AM
xxx

IRA,
And I'll bet you are not in the 18-24 category

Nov 24th, 2002, 05:45 AM
xxx

Posted on that other thread.

Author: xxx ([email protected])
Date: 11/23/2002, 08:17 pm

http://www.fodors.com/forums/postreply.jsp?fid=2&tid=34381861

Nov 24th, 2002, 10:04 AM
curious

Ira wrote:
<<I'm also one of those anal types who analyze data. The sample questions were chosen with the intent of making the US look bad. If you look at the entire report you will find that we were not so far behind.>>

Ira, where did you find the entire report? I would like to see all (56?) questions. Thanks.

Nov 25th, 2002, 03:25 PM
lovesurvey

tt

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO