Reload this Page >

National Gallery or Victoria Albert Museum

Jun 5th, 2007, 06:31 AM
kdd
Original Poster

Hi,

While in London, we will have time for only 1 museum visit. Should it be National Gallery or V&A museum? I am mainly interested in the Sculptures collection in V&A. I you guys tell me that is not spectacular then I would just go to National.

Please help me decide..
Jun 5th, 2007, 06:34 AM

I love the V & A not only because of the immense sculpture gallery where i believe there are many famous works re-created along with original stuff but because the museum is so eclectic in its other offerings - this is not just another museum.

National Gallery staid type museums never excite me but really bore me - mainly old art. But that's me personal interest.
Jun 5th, 2007, 06:51 AM

If I absolutely had to choose, I'd go for the V and A
I find the Casts Court http://www.vam.ac.uk/collections/scu...rts/index.html
really interesting.
Because of pollution and other damage, the casts often show details which are now missing on the originals.
Jun 5th, 2007, 07:25 AM

I agree, the V&A is amazing.

They also have a costume/period clothing section, which is one of my favorite museum sections ever. Not sure if that's your thing....
Jun 5th, 2007, 07:43 AM

apples and oranges. Both are amazing - so you'll just have to pick. But how long are you in London?? unless only a couple of days why can't you fit in both?

Both are free so you can pop in and out after how ever long you want to spend.
Jun 5th, 2007, 08:43 AM
kdd
Original Poster

Hi

Problem is that there is a senior and a toddler in the party and both tire easily. So we find it best to keep the activities minimum and not have a fully packed day. Hence this sort of planning.
Jun 5th, 2007, 08:53 AM

The V&A is more child friendly. There are even interactive & hands-on activities. And there are places to sit as well as a nice lunch/tea room.
Jun 5th, 2007, 08:53 AM

Another vote for the V&A.
Jun 5th, 2007, 09:10 AM

I can't see the point in choosing.

Both are far, far, too big to go round properly, so you have to select anyway - or just dash round so you see practically nothing. You're not going to be able to steer clear of the Trafalgar Square area, so ten minutes in the National Gallery seeing one thing or set of things (as far as I'm concerned, the Pieros) isn't going to eat into any itinerary. Junior members of the flannerclan have loved quick (20 mins max)tours of the National.

Choice of what to see is what really matters. Personally, I loathe the V+A silver (actually, mostly gold) gallery, but lots of people on this board would ADORE it.

All of which said, if I was in South Ken with a toddler, I wouldn't take it to the V+A. I'd have the arts lover do the V+A while someone took the child over the road to the Natural History Museum (world capital of dinosaurs) or the millons of buttons to press at the Science Museum.
Jun 5th, 2007, 04:57 PM

Just was at the V and A, and there are quite a few child-oriented hands-on activities. Obviously these are not meant for toddlers, but an adult could use the materials to interact with the toddler and make the experience more fun. There are headphones, computer touch screens, costumes to try on, things to assemble, etc. This would be more fun for a toddler than the National gallery. The dinosaur exhibit across the street at the Natural History museum will scare the wits out of a toddler. If you love sculpture, why see the copies in the V and A when you can see the actual Elgin marbles in the British Museum. But definitely don't take your toddler there. The crowds are unbelievable. Another great thing is that the museums have no entry fee. If you go in and discover that the toddler or senior doesn't like it, you can leave without feeling guilty over lost admission.
Jun 5th, 2007, 05:55 PM

V & A has started to do some interesting exhibitions, not sure if Surrealism and Design would appeal but it's on til July.
Jun 6th, 2007, 06:37 AM

<If you love sculpture, why see the copies in the V and A when you can see the actual Elgin marbles in the British Museum.>

and you should only be able to see copies of these purloined marbles in the British Museum too - why these stolen goods aren't returned to Greece and the Parthenon where they were for 2,000 or so years before being swiped by Lord Elgin during the Turkish occupation of Greece. There is no defense for keeping them - even the usual haughty answer that they are better off here.
Jun 6th, 2007, 06:38 AM

If Elgin hadn't taken them no one would be seeing them anywhere - they would have been blown to smithereens . . . . .
Jun 6th, 2007, 06:42 AM

BTW that was no comment on whether they should or shouldn't be returned.

Just that we are VERY lucky someone took them . . . .
Jun 6th, 2007, 06:43 AM

Of course if the Athenians hadn't misappropriateed the taxes they forcibly levied on their Ionian colonies, the Elgin marbles would never have been constructed.

If they're going to be "returned" they should go to the descendants of tne people who were forced to pay for them.

The Turks.
Jun 6th, 2007, 06:49 AM

Your choice of course. My family loves The V&A, I am not crazy about it. Old clothing gives me the creeps.
I pop into the National Gallery two or three times when I'm in London.It's in the middle of the tourist area of town and the price is right.
Jun 6th, 2007, 07:01 AM

<Of course if the Athenians hadn't misappropriateed the taxes they forcibly levied on their Ionian colonies, the Elgin marbles would never have been constructed.

If they're going to be "returned" they should go to the descendants of tne people who were forced to pay for them.>

Flanner - so uncharacteristic of you to leave yourself so wide open - under your theory nearly everything in England would thus have to be returned to the folks in the British Empire whose toil, often forced, paid for much of the development in the Mother Land. Remember the Empire sucked goods out of their constituent parts, often by forced labor or subsistence wages.

Let's see Buckingham Palace goes to Nigeria - Windsor Castle to India, etc.

What a ridiculous argument!
Jun 6th, 2007, 07:21 AM

I think you'll find both Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle existed before any funds came in from either of those countries, but you have a point. There's a fair bit of the North American continent that could change hands on the same principle.
Jun 6th, 2007, 07:24 AM

Everybody: back to Kenya NOW!
Jun 6th, 2007, 07:28 AM

The V & A gets my vote

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO