Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Narrowed my Paris Apt Choice Down To These. Opinions Wanted! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/narrowed-my-paris-apt-choice-down-to-these-opinions-wanted-887347/)

tripgirl Apr 19th, 2011 05:05 PM

Narrowed my Paris Apt Choice Down To These. Opinions Wanted!

Hi all! I am starting a new thread from my previous "Serious Help Needed In Understanding Paris Apt Prices."

I've worked hard since the thread and narrowed some choices down and wanted your opinions.

Today I think I have found the one, but still hanging out with the possiblities of the others.

This is for next year, the month of June 2012 for the entire month. Those just tuning in, no need to go back to that other thread, but to let you know this is our upteenth visit to Paris. Plan on living in Europe a month a yr if we can now that DH is retired. Starting with Paris next yr.

I'll go by rental agency/owner:

A. VRBO. The one VRBO that I found thanks to a wonderful poster here named Judy( thx Judy!). I found this fab apt in Marais. If you remember from my other thread, I do like 5, 6, 7 and Marais the most. This is the apt I am leaning towards the most.

I love that it has airconditioning in the bdms, I love the layout , love the neighborhood, the kitchen looks just fine to me, good sized bathrooms, love the polished floor, good flat screen TV, its not a ground floor ( 2nd floor) and its a two bedroom. We thought just today it might be good to have 2 bdms if our friends want to come for a few days or if DH and I need a break from each other :-)! This is not a necessity, just thought about it and we liked the idea ( you will see that all the other companies listed are 1 bedrooms of which we originally intended) Love the 2 baths too, one for me and one for him!
It's upscale enough for me( remember, I like my upscale :-)! Love that one of the bathrooms is en suite.

The price is right ( a very generous discount was given off the weekly price). Judy rented this apt and the adjacent one this owner also has. She loved it. Pam and Cheryl emailed me almost right away after I initially inquired.

Anything all of you see that I don't in terms of drawbacks?
Thoughts, comments, etc, etc

Link: http://www.vrbo.com/103594#features

B. Vacation in Paris:

1. At first glance I found very little here, but then upon closer inspection, I found a few. I inquired about the one I like the most and also a generous discount was given, but its substantially more than the Marais apt above. It's over my set budget,but not by that much. It has a richer decor, I like the overal design of the kitchen better, but don't love that it's right in the living room. The living is very rich looking and quite warm and cozy, love the bdm and the bathroom is very nice. The toilet is separate, not the case with the Maris apt above. But that's very minor. It's fully air conditioned. It's also in a penthouse situation, so no noise from above and can't imagine any noise at all. Elevator. Worried about more light coming in. Smaller than the Marais apt. Love the neighborhood, our old stomping ground.

Link: http://vacationinparis.com/apts/id_227.htm

Here are others from VIP I did find that I did like, no quotes on these yet. They have to check with the owners. VIP was very quick with their e mails. Please make your comments on any of these, my first preference based on looks of the apt alone is the #227 property, but open to your thoughts on these too.:

2. http://vacationinparis.com/apts/id_235.htm: 1 bedroom, no airconditioning, but very bright, like the furnishings. In St Germain, love that neighborhood

3. http://vacationinparis.com/apts/id_225.htm: a 2 bdm, fully airconditioned, a tad concern about street noise. A very modern look which I normally like the most ( my whole house is modern) ,but this apt looks a tad spare. Neat looking kitchen layout. Walk up the stair, not a big deal, on 2nd floor

4. http://vacationinparis.com/apts/id_217.htm a 2 bdm, air conditioned. More ornate than I would usually go for, but something about this apt appeals to me. I loooove the kitchen and it feels most Parisienne. In the 7th in a good location ( know that part of the 7th well) Really nice bathrooms. Given what the discount on the #227 apt was, this one is actually more per week, so I think this one would be priced out. That would be given this owner would give the same discount, maybe not , maybe yes, maybe more, maybe less, maybe not at all.

3. Cobblestay

A relatively new rental company that I knew about from Conde Nast and then poster PegS is renting one of the apts I am most interested in for this company. She will be there later this year. They called me today, but I missed the call, left them an e mail sayng I would cal them tomorrow.

One can plug in the dates they want and the price comes up. I haven't spoken to a live person to see if I could get even more of a discount. But when I plug in a week's stay and multiply that by 4 and then I plug in a month, the discount is already substantial.

There are a few here to consider. Only one has airconditioning( the one PegS is renting)

They all fall within my budget

1. What a view huh?? Ultra modern which I do like. Entire top floor. On Ave Kleber in the 16th. I've spent very little time here and what we usually love to do in Paris is in eastern, not western Paris. Although I know the area is upscale, I also really love my winding streets and little nooks and crannies and I am concerned i would not get this here. And while I love the an entire apt, I have a bit of a nagging feeling that i could be in NY rather than Paris. I know Parisiens love modern design, but the apt could be anywhere. Maybe that's an incorrect thought; I don't know. Fully airconditioned, elevator.
This is the one PegS is renting.

http://bookings.cobblestay.com/Unit.mvc/Details/43381

2. It's right where popular poster GraceJoan stays in her Paris Perfect Apts.. It is much smaller than the above apt, no airconditioning, but I do love that street its on. It does not have a tower view ( not a necessary for us). There is no reviews of it on the site, but I will chalk that up to its a relatively new company ( since 2007). The price is one of the lowest among all these apts, way, way under my budget, a little suspicious given the great neighborhood. With with no air and its 505sq ft, I might see why. The layout loks a bit cramped, but 505 sq ft isn't really teensy tiny. Thoughts?

http://bookings.cobblestay.com/Unit.mvc/Details/53173

3. The last one is in St Germain. It is the smallest of the apts I have researched, no air conditioning. Love the entire decor of the apt, its one of my fav decors of all the apts here. Very subtle, modern without being over the top. Concerned of course of the size for a month. Nice location in St Germain. Under the budget.

http://bookings.cobblestay.com/Unit.mvc/Details/43378

D. Perfectly Paris

Gail has been most gracious with her e mails. A lovely woman to deal with. I am concerned about staying in Montmartre. We've been there on previous trips and really do like it, but we even talked about it today that the schelpping back and forth by metro may get old. While I am sure there are some days we'd never leave the neighborhood, the Paris we've known all these yrs is us walking all around, resting back at the centrally located hotel, and back out again.

I was initially drawn to Montmartre since the apts are less expensive yet seemed of good value. The apts I like from Pefectly Paris are below. The first one I like better than the second. Both do not have airconditioning. These are much more in tune to a tradittional feel for an apt. Elevators in both. Both are well under my budget.

Links: http://www.perfectlyparis.com/Caulaincourt%20Charm.html

This one above is my first choice for this company. The apt is large, beautiful very Parisienne furnishings. What I am not crazy about is toilet is separate and next to kitchen ( DH does get up alot!). Not loving the kitchen so much, it's lovely but not as appealing as other kitchens in this thread. The apt looks extremely comfortable, good light and I know Gail is a wonderful person to deal with. Just really not sure about Montmartre, even with its special charms.

Here is the second one

http://www.perfectlyparis.com/Junot%20Gem.html. This apt is less furnished, but love the wall of cabinetry. Love the kitchen in this one, but bedroom while sweet, looks cramped.

E. Paris Vacation Apartments

The only they had available for next June is also in the Marais. Completely different look than Perfectly Paris. Different location as well. Further from the metro than the Perfectly Paris apts, but only a 5 minute walk as opposed to almost right next door ( I'm a walker anyway!)

http://www.parisvacationapartments.c...h-balcony.html

This one has airconditioning, a king bed !, love the kitchen ( it's small but love the design), small but cute balcony and a nice view. But again, not sure at all about Montmatre. Fits the budget. clare has been most responsive, lovely.

Others:
I spoke with Haven in Paris about these two apts, but the discount was very small at 5%. No worries, I respect that. They don't need to. Both apts drawback is no airconditioning. Over the budget due to small discount. Here they are though:

http://www.haveninparis.com/rental/abbesses.php

and

http://www.haveninparis.com/rental/Lagrange.php

And while I would love to rent from Paris Perfect, I can see that they would never fit a budget for my month. I'd gladly stay a week in one of their apts, but a whole month is really over the budget. I don't want a studio just for the sake of staying with them. I know they are tops.

We are staying this sumer in an apt by Guest Apartment Services( Snowdrop) to try out the whole apt living though just for a week. I love dealing with them and even asked them about monthly rentals for next yr and they prefer to only do weekly. No worries.

So there you have it, so sorry its so long. Just needed to actually air out my thoughts and now if you can do the same on anything you wish to comment on here it is appreciated more than you know.

And a special thank you to Judy and GraceJoan who were very helpful on the last thread and in private.

Thanks a mil....

tripgirl Apr 19th, 2011 05:05 PM

topping

uhoh_busted Apr 19th, 2011 05:34 PM

I looked at your first pick - the VRBO in the Marais - and I fell in love with it. I would stay there. The location is perfect. I like being a couple of blocks from PdV. While we have sat for hours in that lovely park every time we've been in Paris (5, but I think I may actually have lost count) there is more privacy in being just a bit away.

Exceptional layout. If you have friends to visit you will all be comfortable.

Me -- I wouldn't look any further!

Weekender Apr 19th, 2011 05:50 PM

Tripgirl:

Regarding Apartment B: This place looks so familiar to me and now I know why:

http://www.parisluxeapt.com/apt_colette.htm

tripgirl Apr 19th, 2011 06:06 PM

Weekender,

That apt is not the apt, that's the twin! That's the one that's the two bedroom, we were looking at its adjacent one, the 1 bdm.

That 2 bdrm is way too much money and way too much!

Thanks Uhoh: great and honest opinion. I've never stayed in Marais but always loved it and spend time there shopping and eating. Place des Vosges one of my fav spots. Easy to get to the rest of Paris from Marais.

Any other opinions are so very welcome!

susanna Apr 19th, 2011 07:39 PM

I've looked over all of them, damn, you are a great researcher!!

Marais, my favorite neighborhood, love this apartment, love the two bathrooms too. It doesn't look as luxurious as you might want...I don't believe it has an elevator, so does walking up two flights for a month bother you?

Cobblestay: This is my favorite, love the moderness, the layout, the balcony. I have stayed with friends in the 16th and it's quite nice, lovely architecture in this neighborhood, there is a street market, nice restaurants. I don't absolutely love this arrondismont, but it might be nice to explore for a month. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here.

ParisVacationApartments, lovely, great company, I've rented from them and if they weren't so booked up I'd rent from them more often...great apartment, company and location.

One apartment didn't have air-conditioning, I would need this in June.

OK, that's my two cents!

macdogmom Apr 19th, 2011 09:25 PM

We have friends that stayed in the first apt in the Marais and really liked the apt and location. Close to Chez Janou, a great fun restaurant. I think they also felt like having the owners in US (fellow californian's) was very helpful.

Judy Apr 20th, 2011 02:06 AM

The Marais apartment does have an elevator, but it doesn't stop on the first floor. It is a one story climb, not bad at all. We loved Chez Janou! Loved their website, too. I was also very happy to find a Gerard Mulot shop just a few blocks away.

tripgirl Apr 20th, 2011 07:21 AM

Thanks all!

surfmom Apr 20th, 2011 07:31 AM

I can't look at all the details but I'll throw a few things In here...

1) would eliminate the one w/o a/c. Never know when a heat strike will hit and unless you are accustomed to sleeping in a city with windows open I would avoid.

2) personally can recommend Paris vacation apartments. Would work with them again in a heartbeat !

3) thoughts after being in Europe right now...
-- Washer/ dryer vs washer only - hate the washer only and if any have 2 separate units major bonus!
-- bathroom area - so nice to have counter space for "stuff" and a 2nd bathroom. Apartment now has no space in bathroom for anything and it drives me nuts quickly!

Good luck

PegS Apr 20th, 2011 08:03 AM

Oh sorry, Tripgirl, for the misunderstanding. I'm actually not staying in that Cobblestay apt but another one. Either way, can't give much of an opinion yet. ;-)

From the photos, I actually don't like your first choice VIP apt. It actually appears cramped. The kitchen, for instance, isn't separate right? I like your #4 VIP choice (#217) much better.

VIP 235 is nice and open, but no bathtub. I really don't like 225 - it's so dark and there are photos that make me feel like it won't look nearly as luxe in person.

I like your first choice VBRO Marais apt. The terrace in the Cobblestay is unbeatable. The Paris Luxe apt, even if it was within your price range, still feels cramped to me.

tripgirl Apr 20th, 2011 09:06 AM

PegS

what apt are you renting form Cobblestay?

tripgirl Apr 20th, 2011 11:03 AM

Surfmom

what apt are you in at the moment?

surfmom Apr 20th, 2011 11:36 AM

We're actually in Stockholm right now.... Our apartment location is great but a few things I couldn't deal with for a month.

Remembering fondly the pva apartment - loved it!

cw Apr 20th, 2011 11:42 AM

I, too, like the first one in the Marais.

I'm not crazy about the VIP apartments for a month-long stay. The first one was odd in that the kitchen is with the living room and not the dining room, but then I realized that the dining room has no window, so that's why they didn't make it the living room. Though it's on a top floor, with only three windows in the whole place, I think it might be dark.

The master bedroom in the 4th VIP apartment doesn't have two bedside lights and no bedside table. I find that inconvenient.

The one in the 16th is spectacular but I think I might want to stay closer.

I would rent again from PVA in a hearbeat, so if you decide on Montmarte, I would definitely take theirs, though I know that perfectly paris is well-reviewed as well.

Would you ever consider splitting your visit into two locations? I realize that would be more expensive.

How do you visualize spending your days? Often going back to the same streets that you like, or setting off each day in a new direction. How much to you like taking the bus or metro v. walking?

You have a dilemma but it's such a nice choice to have to make.

But I agree with what is said above--a/c is nice for a month long stay in June.

SuzChicago Apr 20th, 2011 12:28 PM

I just loved PVA and that building and that neighborhood in Montmartre. We were in a 2 BR in that same building last June. Our family really felt alot of our pleasure in being in Paris was staying in that neighborhood. I'd go with them in a heartbeat just because of the location! Fabulous and friendly resto right around the corner as well as a superb boulangerie.

parislady Apr 20th, 2011 12:42 PM

My husband and I stayed in the one bedroom with terrace in that same building for 8 days. We absolutely loved the apartment, the views at night, having champagne on the terrace looking up at Sacre Coeur at night, gazing at the tower and eating lovely food from the "traiteur" down the street.Lovely little shops, fun food market on the Rue Lepic, great bakeries, cafes and lovely places to buy fabrics and buttons. We did not mind the little extra time taking metro around Paris. We usually stay in the 5th or 6th but this spot was a gem and the people wonderful to work with. Isis was a delight and gave us some good restaurant suggestions.

PegS Apr 20th, 2011 02:46 PM

Tripgirl, we've rented this one:
http://bookings.cobblestay.com/Unit.mvc/Details/43268

We had our hearts set on staying in this part of the Marais so that was part of the decision-making process.

I just looked at the site for the PVA apartment. Oh, that's lovely!

susanna Apr 20th, 2011 04:17 PM

PegS, great apartment, when are you staying there...I would love to hear back on it,thanks

elsiejune Apr 20th, 2011 04:41 PM

You have lots of good choices. I personally wouldn't want to spend June in Paris without some air conditioning and good ventilation, so you might want to factor that in to your decision. Also, try to determine the noise factor for these apartments. One week on a busy street is a lot easier to handle than a month. EJ