Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Narrowed Down Athens Hotel choice but still need help Please! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/narrowed-down-athens-hotel-choice-but-still-need-help-please-782761/)

tamarat May 4th, 2009 12:06 PM

Narrowed Down Athens Hotel choice but still need help Please!

After spending hours reading reviews, which can totally confuse you, I narrowed down the choice for a one-night stay in Athens to...Athens Gate Hotel, Plaka Hotel, Adrian and Attalos.

What are your opinions re the best choice? ( 94Euro at Atttalos, 124E Adrian, 125E Plaka, and a little pricier at Athens Gate at 144 E.- considering the Athens Gate because of the rave reviews regarding breakfast on rooftop terrace facing Acropolis - on the other hand, have to leave by 8 a.m., so won't get too much of a chance for relaxing with the view while eating breakfast!)

thanks for the help.

brotherleelove2004 May 4th, 2009 12:16 PM

This is a no-brainer. Stay at the Attalos, enjoy their rooftop lounge, and use the 50 euro you save for something fun.

tamarat May 4th, 2009 01:05 PM

BLL, How is the area of the Attalos? Some of the reviews said it was in a pretty seedy area - that is my hesitation for that hotel aside from the fact that I want to have breakfast on a rooftop terrace with a view.

yiassas May 4th, 2009 01:13 PM

I have stayed there & it's fine. If you turn right when you walk out of the hotel you are at Monastiraki Square & Metro station in 2 mins. Turning left takes you up Athinas street towards Omonia, fascinating by day as you have the shops & fruit/meat markets etc, but not the best direction to go at night. A basic clean hotel, not luxurious, but perfectly adequate & the rooftop bar is a real bonus for that price!

Nikki May 4th, 2009 01:23 PM

I stayed at the Attalos and thought the location was fantastic. The area is not seedy, it's a busy urban street though. The Psirri neighborhood is right behind the hotel and is swarming with restaurants and clubs. The Monastiraki metro is right there, and at Monastiraki Square there are two competing places selling the best and cheapest street food I've enjoyed anywhere.

brotherleelove2004 May 4th, 2009 01:27 PM

Yiassas and Nikki have it right. The Attalos is not on a seedy street but it is busy with a lot of local commerce, and the Central Market is just down the street towards Omonia Square.

ParisAmsterdam May 4th, 2009 06:01 PM

OTOH, I'd spend the extra few euros and stay at the Athens Gate. I stayed at the Amazon last year and it was fine. But having been by the Athens Gate, read reviews and seen pics, I'd pick it from your list.

Rob

HelenG May 7th, 2009 04:49 PM

We stayed at the Attalos 2 years ago and it was fine. Very convenient to all; metro, plaka, shops and restaurants. Area is just "city" not seedy. Clean, no-frills hotel.

tamarat May 8th, 2009 05:13 AM

Thank you everyone - I finally decided. It will be the Adrian Hotel, and I chose based on the rooftop garden breakfast (which was key), the location (right in the centre of things) and the price (110E on otel.com, which was the best internet price out of all). I'll let you know how it was when I return.

thanks again for all of your input!