Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Napoli to Lipari by train (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/napoli-to-lipari-by-train-1006881/)

jenmorg Feb 25th, 2014 08:36 PM

Napoli to Lipari by train

Has anyone done the train trip from Naples to Lipari in the Aeolian islands? I wonder if its easier to get off at Villa San Giovanni, catch a ferry across the Straits of Messina and then get on a local train to Milazzo? I have heard that if you stay on the train at Vila it takes a long time to shunt all the carriages to get them onto the ferry then off again on the other side. I would love to hear from anyone who has done this trip.

mjdh1957 Feb 26th, 2014 12:08 AM

I don't know if it will save any time in reality, but if you do decide to get off the train and take the ferry to Messina, then you should get the Giuntabus from Messina to Milazzo rather than the train. The bus has the advantage of dropping you at the quayside rather than the railway station which is some way outside the town.

neckervd Feb 26th, 2014 08:16 AM

If you take the night train, you will certainly not leave the sleeper at 4.25am. I you do so nevertheless and if you know how to reach the railway station from the ferry port, you may catch the local train 12757 and arrive at Milazzo railway station at 6.22 instead of 6.57.
If you take the giuntabus, you will arrive at Milazzo port at 6.50.

If you take the day train, and if you know how to reach the railway station from the ferry port, you may catch the local train 8779 and arrive at Milazzo railway station at 19.50 instead of 20.15.
By Giuntabus, you will arrive at Milazzo port at either 19.50 or 20.50.

jenmorg Feb 27th, 2014 11:59 AM

Thanks , we will be using the day train. I think it leaves Napoli at 9.50am. I will look up the Giuntabus schedule.

jenmorg Feb 27th, 2014 12:23 PM

Just looked up the timetable and it's for last year. Also it details weekdays and holidays. Do they consider Saturday a weekday or a holiday? Does anyone know if the bus route goes through Messina Marittima as I think we will land there if we get off the train on the mainland and catch the ferry across.

neckervd Feb 28th, 2014 08:57 AM

According to the ferry you will take, you may arrive at Messina Rada San Francesco or Messina Marittima.

The Intercity Naples dp 9.50 arrives at Villa San Giovanni at 14.05, at Messina at 15.30 and at Milazzo at 16.25.

The Giuntabus leaves from Piazza della Repubblica at 15.15 and 16.00 except on Sundays. Journey time up to Milazzo 50 min.

jenmorg Jun 5th, 2014 11:17 PM

We are now on Lipari and thoroughly enjoying it. The train trip from Napoli was interesting and the other passengers in our compartment friendly. The view out the train window was not as could as we hoped for as the double glazing was failing so the window was covered with water the whole way��. The train was on time all the way to Villa San Giovanni but there was a delay getting the train onto the ferry. What an experience! Many people opted to stay on the train during the ferry crossing. Our local train had already left Messina when we finally got there so we hopped on the next train to Milazzo. We didn't realise we had the wrong tickets for this train and the ticket inspector commented but let us stay as we were getting off at the next stop.
We met a nice italian australian who
We shared a taxi with to the port, arriving just in time for the 5 pm hydrofoil to Lipari. We have a nice apartment here in B and B Diana Brown. Off to Siracusa tomorrow by hydrofoil and train.

aprillilacs Jun 6th, 2014 07:31 AM

Thanks for reporting back on your experience. There are boats directly from Messina to Lipari (and back)--I have taken that route as well as boats from Milazzo. if you don't already have your tickets from Lipari, you might consider Messina since it's a short walk from the dock to the train or bus. I love the Aeolian Islands--next time hope you can stay longer!

jenmorg Jun 6th, 2014 10:48 AM

From what I can tell the only boat to Messina from Lipari is at 7am each day but our train doesn't leave until 2pm so that's a no go for us.
Today we went back to Acquacalda and spent the day on the beach and had lunch again at Ristorante Aurora. Lovely food, lovely people. I could happily stay here for another week.