Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Naples to Sorrento train or ferry? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/naples-to-sorrento-train-or-ferry-1136129/)

MsLizzy Oct 13th, 2016 05:25 AM

Naples to Sorrento train or ferry?

I'm reading older posts that the train from Naples to Sorrento can be unsafe. I'd be considered a fit young looking female senior but will be traveling with carryon luggage at approx 4pm after a full fay of travel. Is it still a hassle or should I make my way to the port and take a ferry.
My accommodation in Sorrento is about a 15 minute walk from the train station on a pedestrian street so not sure how far from the Sorrento port.

Holly_uncasdewar Oct 13th, 2016 05:55 AM

The train will be fine. Just be mindful of what's going on around you, especially in Your Space. Which there may not be much of if it's crowded, which it's likely to be.

annhig Oct 13th, 2016 06:21 AM

yes, just pay attention to your surroundings and you'll be fine.

the circumvesuviana is downstairs at Naples station - you will see signs to it on the main concourse.

greg Oct 13th, 2016 07:10 AM

The ferry route is a lot more hassle. I don't know how you are arriving in Napoli, but either from the airport or from the train station, you have to make your way to the port, take ferry, then climb up the hill from the Sorrento port up to the town level by bus or by taxi.

You need to think about "unsafe" in context. It is not absolute. The most likely issue is the pickpocket. It happens while you are moving in a crowded places where people can naturally bump into you so you don't get alarmed. For this reason, being aware as a defense, in this case, is not effective. You are aware, but you cannot avoid being bumped. You need to be passively protected in this case -- physically not possible to pickpocket, for example, keeping all valuables in money belt. If you are coming to Napoli by train from Rome, for example, take out just enough cash into an accessible place while in train, to buy Circumvesuviana train ticket. The most you will lose then are a few Euros.

I have even taken buses on Napoli. If there are pickpockets around, what they do is to take advantage of people pushing and shoving into, actual or made up, so they can bump into you many times. How does being aware help you in this case? I have yet to be pickpocketed, but I was "aware" that they all tried to reach into usual places tourists keep valuables. Unfortunately for them, I don't keep valuable in usual places.

Once you sit down, it is very difficult to pickpocket you.

yorkshire Oct 13th, 2016 07:34 AM

If you are arriving at the airport, check to see if the Sorrento buses are running at a convenient time, to save yourself the trek to the train station.

Holly_uncasdewar Oct 13th, 2016 12:09 PM

If one takes a look at MsLizzy's profile, one would see that MsLizzy appears to be an experienced traveler, and likely already practices the normal pickpocket safeguards. With that said, I second the idea to take a bus directly to Sorrento from the Naples airport if you are arriving at that airport.

PalenQ Oct 13th, 2016 01:19 PM

There are a few new CircumVesuviana trains to Sorrento now that are much nicer I guess than the old metro-like trains - if going by train see if one of those is convenient - but yes a bus from the airport may be good, especially with luggage or even a private car driver.

Yes some time ago there were U S State Department warnings about that train but I agree with Holly that with proper precaution no real problem.

Blueeyedcod Oct 13th, 2016 04:53 PM

Just take the Curreri bus. Schedule is here

http://www.curreriviaggi.it/eng/autolinee.html

MsLizzy Jan 3rd, 2017 12:09 PM

Thanks for all your opinions and yes Holly I'm am quite an experienced traveler so do take precautions. To report back, I arrived bt train in Naples so it was a natural to take the train. It was very crowded with after work crowds. I met a couple from Vancouver on the train and while chatting someone did unsuccesfully attempt to pickpocket him. He was confronted and slipped out the door at the station .... so I learned something. Pickpockets stay near the doors for a quick escape. Having said that I wasn't worried at all for myself as I never have things in accessible pockets except maybe a candy or two.

bvlenci Jan 3rd, 2017 01:44 PM

Definitely stay as far from the doors as possible on metros or buses. (The Circumvesuviana is a lot like a metro.) Thieves can't make a quick getaway from the center of a crowded metro car, so it's not their favorite hunting grounds.