Swiss Itinerary of your choice!

Old Sep 16th, 2005, 12:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swiss Itinerary of your choice!

What would be your wish-to-see or must-visit places within Switzerland in October (in the form of a driving direction) if you are given choice to a driving trip of two persons for full 15 days with US$ 5,000 to spend, excluding airfare and avoiding high cost hotels?
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 02:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Day 1: Arrive in Zürich. Rent a convertible. Go to Weggis (near Lucerne).
Day 2: Go up to the Rigi with the Weggis cable car. Go down again with the Vitznau mountain train. Take the boat back to Weggis. Drive to Brunnen and eat dinner at Waldstätterhof.
Day 3: Drive to Lucerne. Spend 2 hours. Go to Engelberg. Take the Titlis Bahn. Drive back. Eat at Alpenhof in Küssnacht.
Day 4: Leave Weggis. Drive through Altdorf over Klausenpass. Drive to Appenzell. Spend the night.
Day 5: Drive to Scuol in Engadin via Klosters. Relax in their spa bath. Spend the night.
Day 6: Drive to Nauders (South Tirol), go over the Reschenpass (with the church tower in the lake) and stop in Glurs for lunch. Continue drive over Stilfersjoch. Spend the night in Pontresina (or Sils Maria) (Switzerland again).
Day 7: Spend the day walking around the lake or doing hiking.
Day 8: Drive to Poschiavo. Eat lunch. Drive to Lugano (via Italy). Spend the night.
Day 9: Take the boat from Lugano to Gandria and walk back. Expore Lugano.
Day 10: Drive over Domodossola to Brig. Drive to Tasch. Leave car. Take train to Zermatt. Spend the night.
Day 11: Explore Zermatt.
Day 12: Drive to Interlaken via Kandersteg/Frutigen. Continue to Muerren or Wengen. Spend the night.
Go to Schilthorn. Spend the night in Muerren (or Wengen).
Day 13: Drive to Grindelwald. Go see Jungfraujoch. Go back to Day 12 hotel.
Day 14: Drive down to Interlaken. Do any souvenier shopping. Go to Ballenberg or Bern. Go back to Day 12 hotel.
Day 15: Drive to Geneva or Zürich. Bring back car.

Sorry: no time for Montreux or Gruyers. Next time!
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

Hey! Thanks Schuler, that's great-great. Fine choice of places, previously took most but for sure learnt new ones....thanks.
Wouldn't the convertible bite off a big portion of the budget? What would be the approximate car rental?
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 03:18 AM

Yeah, it's expensive. But if the weather is warm and the skies are clear...there's no better way to see Switzerland. Except for maybe on a motorbike. Now that is majorly cool too!

Check out Avis or Hertz for rates. We rented a 4 seater convertible two weeks ago for two nights. It cost us SFr. 600.--, unlimited mileage.

Of course, there is always the train.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 03:26 AM
Original Poster

Schuler thanks, we are used to driving through Alps, just was curious to hear about your experience....thanks again for the choices of places.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 03:37 AM

Forgive the interruption, yildy. You can't go wrong with a Swiss road trip. Schuler's sounds great. But, schuler, I've got to ask -- are you at school? Lunch break? How do you manage to fit a forum visit into your school day? I have a difficult time scheduling a visit to the wc! J.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 03:53 AM

Ah...good question. I only teach English to adults in the late afternoons and evenings and only twice a week. I prepare my lessons on the computer and Fodor's is such a nice distraction. Today's Friday and no school, just lots of laundry to do. That's why I'm here again.

However, tomorrow I'm going to a wine festival with 14 wine tasting stands and lots of good food. The star of the festival is Jarno Trulli, the formula 1 race car driver from Italy. He looks soooo good.
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 05:29 AM

Sounds like a good life to me.
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 08:03 AM

Schuler, you seem to be a pro...I wish my husband and i were also doing a road trip....however we are using the rail to travel around late october. We were giong to spend two nights in Luzern and two in Interlarken/Lauterbrunen (can't decide yet, although I am aware that they are not too far from each other. Any suggestions??
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 09:38 AM

Hi. The two-star hotel in which I stayed has closed, but here is a three-star:
http://www.kreuz-leissigen.ch/

You might like to take a look at it. Just a short walk along the lake from the train station or the boat dock.

If you are interested in staying lakeside with the possibility of a daytrip into the mountains and a daytrip to Lucerne or Thun, then might I suggest that you consider Brienz on the neighboring lake, Brienzersee? Because it is on the lakeside facing the oberland, the mountain views are more spectacular than from Spiez or Leissigen, which have their backs to the mountains. Later, J.
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 10:46 AM

Simma:

Lucerne is beautiful.

1. Take the ferry and go to Weggis. Walk to the cable car and go up to Rigi Kaltbad. Walk to Rigi Staffel. Take the mountain train down to Vitznau.

2. Take the ferry and get off in Weggis or Brunnen for lunch. In Brunnen, I can recommend the Waldstätterhof. Continue on ferry until you are back in Lucerne.

Lauterbrunnen/Interlaken: I don't live near the area so I'm not an expert. Schilthorn and Jungfraujoch are must sees. From Grindelwald (or Wengen) you can take the train to Klein Scheidegg. Walk to Mannlichen. Take the cable car back down to Grindelwald. (This can be done in any order. Walking from Mannlichen to Klein Scheidegg will give you a mountain view all the way.) I did this last year and it was breathtaking.

JMW44: Brienz is absolutely beautiful. They will appreciate all the tourism they can get, especially due to the flood damage.
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 10:55 AM

Obviously, I should not try to do school work and visit Fodors at the same time: I posted the Leissigen/Brienz info at the wrong thread. I've just copied it to the Thun/Interlaken one where it belonged. Apologies, Yildy.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 11:52 PM
Original Poster

Only our friend Schuler's contribution? No other proposals?
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 06:27 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I visit often but don't know a thing about road trips or I'd have chimed in sooner...

I have taken 5 trips to Switzerland so far and always include the Geneva area, Lac Leman, cities of Lausanne, Vevey, and Montreux (I have friends living there). I totally adore that area and could live there myself in a heartbeat.

Yildy, I think it's maybe the request for "in the form of driving direction" more than "Swiss Itinerary" that limited responses. Because usually the Swiss-lovers on Fodors are all over this kind of question. But many prefer train travel.

My tip for avoiding high cost hotels is look for 2 or 3 star ones. Most towns have their own tourist website such as:
www.montreux.ch
www.vevey.ch
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 07:42 AM

Yildy: for what it is worth, there is an excellent resource for finding so-called Swiss "buget" hotels which I have used with great success:
www.rooms.ch

I can assure you there is absolutely nothing wrong with these so-called "budget" places, they are usually immaculate, decently furnished, and of great value, especially if you are looking to save some money.

I'm one of those people who loves Switzerland, has been many times, but usually travel by rail. I suggest that while you are in Appenzell, or on the way there, that you stop and visit the abbey church and library in nearby St. Gallen; the church interior has been described, by some, as "the most beautiful" in the entire country. The library has limited hours but if you are into over the top decoration, etc., it is definitely worth your time IMO.

I assume when you are in Zermatt you are planning to either go up to the Gornergrat via railway or the aerial tramway up to Kleine Matterhorn to view the peak and the Monte Rosa Massif; however the weather at the top can sometimes obscure the views when things are clearer down below and vice versa. The Gornergrat rail station has a "live cam" that gives the view from above which you can see prior to buying tickets. Zermatt itself isn't that big and doesn't take long to explore.
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 05:43 AM

And if you'd like to consider B&B's because you're driving, check out

bnb.ch

for a large assortment in all locations! J.