Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Naples to Sorrento/Amalfi Coast. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/naples-to-sorrento-amalfi-coast-307269/)

agnes13 Apr 15th, 2003 06:37 AM

Naples to Sorrento/Amalfi Coast.

I am planning to fly into Naples on route to the Amalfi Coast. I would like to know what kind of train on bus transportation would be available late September. Thanks for any tip you can give.

GeoffHamer Apr 15th, 2003 06:48 AM

Trains from Napoli to Sorrento run every half hour or so. The schedule is on www.vesuviana.it. These trains carry commuters and run like a metro service. From Sorrento, there are buses to the Amalfi coast. The alternative route is by train to Salerno (www.trenitalia.com} then by bus.

ira Apr 15th, 2003 08:06 AM

Hi Agnes,<BR> In which town will you be staying?

Jean Apr 15th, 2003 07:00 PM

In late September, you can take a ferry from Sorrento to Positano.

ira Apr 16th, 2003 05:19 AM

topping for agnes

dickv Apr 16th, 2003 05:44 AM

Good morning,Agnes<BR>for buses in Campania seewww.uniplan.it/sita/orari.html...<BR>covers those leaving Sorrento and Salerno and all points on the Amalfi..<BR>Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..

Scullysioux Apr 16th, 2003 06:00 AM

Agnes,<BR>Last I knew you could catch a bus at Capodichino Airport to the Central train station in Naples. Then you can take the Circumvesuviana train to Sorrento which is the last stop. The Circumvesuviana is located downstairs in the train station. Follow the signs. The ticket office for the train is also downstairs. Before you get to the tracks there is an info office if you need help with anything.

GAC Apr 16th, 2003 06:39 AM

Curreri Bus lines operates direct between Capodichino Airport and Sorrento in one hour. NO NEED to connect at the Naples Central Train Station!

mauld Apr 16th, 2003 07:07 AM

Jean, any idea if the ferries are still running in mid Oct??? I'll be flying into Naples, staying there one night, then on to Sorrento. I'd hoped to see the coast and figured I'd have to do it via the bus. It sure would be nice to do the bus one way &amp; a ferry the other!

Jean Apr 17th, 2003 04:48 PM

We were in Sorrento in late October 2002. Unfortunately, the ferry service to Positano had already ended for the season. I believe the last day was around Oct. 15th. The same ferry continued on to Amalfi and, I think, Solerno. <BR><BR>The bus ride is an experience in itself, but I think if given the chance I'd take the ferry in both directions. If you take the bus, arrive early, buy ticket and expect to wait in line, especially if you want a seat as opposed to standing. <BR><BR>You can check a couple of web sites:<BR>www.surrentum.info<BR>www.sorrentotouris m.it<BR><BR>You could FAX the local travel agency representing American Express Travel Service: Acamporatravel<BR>081-807 2033. Include your e-mail address to up the chances they'll reply.<BR><BR>Or ask the hotel where you'll be staying in Sorrento.