Naples to Sorrento

May 18th, 2001, 01:03 PM
Bill Horan

Naples to Sorrento

Can anybody tell me what's the fastest or easiest way to get from Naples to Sorrento? I'll be arriving in Naples after 3 flights and am sure to be very tired. I know there are trains, buses and ferries. Any suggestion?

May 18th, 2001, 02:33 PM
Linda

Quickest way is hydrofoil from Naples, if it is still running, about 30 minutes. I believe you can catch it from Mergellina, as well as Beverello, near Castel Nuovo. Another quick way is Circumvesuviana train, about 1 hr 15 min, I think.

May 18th, 2001, 05:32 PM
richard j vicek

Good evening, Bill
Another alternate would be by taking a
taxi to the Naples Centrale station,
very close by is the Cirumvesuviana
RR station and their schedule found
on www.vesuviana.it/ Trip beleive should
take about an hour. Richard of LaGrange Park, Il...

May 19th, 2001, 06:00 AM
sera

Take the hydrofoil -- it's much faster than the train. I took it early one weekday morning from Sorrento to Naples with Italian commuters. I was the only tourist on it! So much fun. The Italians manage to chat up a storm even in the early morning.

May 19th, 2001, 07:51 AM
Walter

After *3* flights and being tired, how about a car & driver. I recall reading a couple of positive posts about this company on this forum so I saved their web address http://www.starnet.it/car-service/ I believe the cost was ~$100US. HTH Regards, Walter

May 19th, 2001, 08:35 AM
xxx

We'll be going to this area in October, arriving in Naples by train. How does one get from the train station to the hydrofoil dock? Taking the hydrofoil instead of the Circumvesuviana seems like a nicer way to get to Sorrento from Naples. Will the hydrofoil still be running in October? Does anyone know how I could access the schedule? Mille grazie.

May 19th, 2001, 08:58 AM
Walter

xxx: Not their official website but it might point you in the right direction. Regards, Walter
http://www.starnet.it/onda_verde/orari_traghetti.htm

May 19th, 2001, 09:17 AM
Capo

In addition to being the quickest way, as Linda noted, the hydrofoil is undoubtedly a more aesthetically pleasing way as well. We took the Circumvesuviana train roundtrip from Naples to Sorrento a few months ago and, except for the view of Mt. Vesuvius in the distance, it was one of the least aesthetically pleasing train rides I've taken in Europe, passing seemingly endless miles of hideous concrete apartment buildings.

May 19th, 2001, 09:21 PM
Celeste

I would definitely take a taxi from the train station to the Mergellina dock, as it would get confusing on the Metro. The taxi should cost less than $15-20 depending on traffic.

The hydrofoil ride will be nice if the weather is nice, but it's not a nice experience if the water is rough!

May 19th, 2001, 09:22 PM
Celeste

I'm sorry, I meant to say to take a taxi from the airport, not from the train station! It's not a large difference as the airport is only five minutes from the train station.