Naples to Rome Airport

Apr 5th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Naples to Rome Airport

Can this be done? Our ferry arrives in Naples @13:00 and our plane leaves @18:20? The train to Rome takes 2 hours. Is there a bus from Naples to the Rome airport? Any other ideas? Thanks,

Eric&Linda
Apr 5th, 2006, 09:22 PM

That would be living a little more dangerously than I'm comfortable with!

But if all goes well and everything is on time, you should be able to make it? Which train could you get out of Naples to arrive Rome Termini (at what time)? Then Leonardo Express from Termini to Fiumicino - 1/2 hour, runs every 1/2 hour.

Another option would be to hire a driver to take you directly. That would probably be in the several hundred euro range. I don't know about a bus from Naples to Fiumicino.

KC
Apr 5th, 2006, 09:46 PM

I'm a little less optimistic than KC, especially if you are talking about departing 18:20 on an international flight to the US or any other country with tight security and passport control.

You are assuming your ferry will dock on time at 13:00. Big assumption in Italy!

The ferry dock is at the opposite end of Naples from the train station. You have to find a taxi or a subway stop to gget across town. (I'm assuming you've bought your ticket in advance.)

How long will that take? (I'm assuming you've never seen traffic in Napoli.)

Which train to Rome were you planning to take? Have you checked the schedule for your day of departure?

Let's say it leaves at 14:00 and you make it. You're assuming that train will arrive on time. Big assumption.

Even if it does arrive on time, you're in Rome at 16:00pm.

You have to navigate Termini with your luggage to get to the airport train. I guess you've bought a ticket in advance.

It's now 16:30.

You arrive at FCO at 17:00.

You find your airline check-in counter. 17:30.

Will there be a line? Can you check in less than an hour before your flight and make it through security and passport control to your gate in time for boarding?

I doubt it.

Unless you can find a bus, your options would appear to be:

Take an earlier ferry, perhaps on the previous day.

Fly from Naples airport to FCO.

Private driver, which may be cheaper than two air tickets.
Apr 5th, 2006, 10:06 PM

Actually now that I've read nessundorma's post, I'm inclined to agree. I totally forgot about going through security at FCO and being there 2 hours early - how dumb on my part.

I think that you need to leave Capri (?) earlier, hire a private driver to take you from Naples to Fiumicino and plan on getting there no later than 3:30 or 4:00 pm. That can't be done arriving at Naples port at 1:00 pm.

KC
Apr 6th, 2006, 01:23 AM

It would help if we knew where this ferry was coming from, so that we could suggest alternatives.
Apr 6th, 2006, 11:44 AM

Having just navigated that route, I wouldn't recommend trying to take a train from Naples to Rome and then to the aiport with that kind of a time frame. The ONLY way it would even come close to working would be if you had your ticket ahead of time, the ferry is on time, you get a cab right away, and there's not traffic. That's a lot of "ifs". There is a Eurostar train from Naples to Rome at 13:30 that gets in to Termini at 15:16, but I can't imagine that you would be able to make it with a ferry that gets in at 13:00 (there is an Intercity train also at 13:36, but that probably won't help much). Otherwise, you can't get a train until 14:22 and that won't get you in to Termini until 16:16. Figure on a half hour train to FCO (plus you would have to add on the time it takes to get to the Leonardo Express and waiting for it to leave) you probably wouldn't get to the airport until about 17:15 at the earliest. Not enough time to go through security and find your gate - at least not without sending your blood pressure through the roof. I agree with the suggestions of taking an earlier ferry or else hiring a private driver to get you right to the airport. More money, but it's better than missing your flight.
Apr 6th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help. I think I found a better way: 5:50 AM ferry from Salina to Messina, bus to Catina airport. Flight to Rome that arrives 2 hours before our flight to Prague.
Apr 7th, 2006, 02:21 AM

Ed - 2 hrs sounds risky to me.

We flew Catania-Rome last September - and our flight was delayed a couple of hours.

Personally I'd consider going up to Rome the day before ...

Steve
Apr 7th, 2006, 03:49 AM

The ferry from Salina to Messina is a fast craft - hydrofoil or catamaran - which might be cancelled in bad weather. I'd suggest travelling north the day before your flight, or take an overnight ship from Salina (www.siremar.it), Palermo (www.tirrenia.it, www.snav.it or www.gnv.it) or Catania (www.tttlines.it). These are big ships and very unlikely to be delayed.
Apr 7th, 2006, 05:29 AM
ira

Hi Ed,

> Flight to Rome that arrives 2 hours before our flight to Prague.<

Flight that is SCHEDULED to arrive...

You still have to get to a gate. Get off the plane. Get your luggage.

Even if you land on time, you stand a good chance of missing your connection.

I strongly suggest that if you want to be sure of making your flight to Prague, be in Rome the night before.

Apr 7th, 2006, 05:32 AM

Also remember that the domestic Italian airlines often insist that you check even carryon luggage. And they may not be prompt getting it off the plane for you.