Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   naples to positano (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/naples-to-positano-696420/)

ljforday Apr 12th, 2007 07:57 PM

naples to positano

would love some advice here.

i am looking at booking a flight from venice to naples and then need to get to positano.
i have a 7am or 2.20pm choice out of venice.
naturally the 2.20 is preferable, but i need to know i can get from naples to positano when i arrive at 3.30pm.
i am flying on the 29th may, which i think is just before the ferries to positano become an option.
try as i may i cant seem to get the english version of the SITA timetable or the circumvesuviana !!!

thanks
lynette

celeste60 Apr 12th, 2007 09:40 PM

I may be wrong, but I do not think there is a circum... service from naples to positano, nor is there a direct SITA bus from naples to positano. You have to get to positano via sorrento. You can take the local train from naples to sorrento. Once you get out of the station, jut outside is the SITA bus to Positano. From what I remember, there are frequent train services from naples to sorrento and the SITA bus leave from sorrento to positano once every hour. You can certainly get a train or bus from naples to positano if you get to naples in the afternoon. Of course, the fastest way to get to positano from naples is by taxi.

kybourbon Apr 12th, 2007 09:48 PM

There is a shuttle bus that runs from the airport to Sorrento for 6E. It doesn't really go into Naples at all. From Sorrento you would have to catch the Sita bus or arrange a driver.
www.curreriviaggi.it

The Circumvesuviana is a commuter train that runs between Naples and Sorrento about every 30 minutes, but the Curreri bus would be faster and easier.

JohnFitz Apr 12th, 2007 09:54 PM

As extravagant as it may sound is getting your hotel to pick you up an option ? I did that flying in from Venice some years ago when staying at the San Pietro . The car and driver were waiting at the door , the perceived risks of mugging in the airport car park mitigated ( everyone talked of this as a risk ) and we cruised down to Positano in comfort .As it turned out there was an accident on the autostrada and we went through the back streets of Naples which reminded me of Calcutta at that time only with more rubbish .

celeste60 Apr 12th, 2007 09:58 PM

The web site which is in italian is www.sita-on-line.it I checked the schedule and there is a sita bus leaving naples at 17:30 PM, arriving to positano at 20:50 PM

From what I gather, this is the last Sita bus leavng naples for positano.

ljforday Apr 12th, 2007 11:03 PM

thanks so much for all of your help.
i just looked up on mappy the distance from sorrento to positano and it says 16km or 60km from naples to positano. why on earth does it take so long to get there- ie 3 1/2 hours on SITA from naples to positano.
i realize the roads are difficult, but...
also it seems a lot of money to hire a driver from naples to positano.
does anyone have any idea how much a driver is from sorrento to positano, and how long it would take
thanks in advance
lynette

Steve_James Apr 13th, 2007 12:37 AM

Hi LJ - The going rate for a limo transfer is approx:

€ 100 Naples airport-Positano

€ 50-60 Sorrento-Positano

If you don't want to book a limo transfer from the airport, your best public transport option will be the Curreri Shuttle bus direct to Sorrento (1 hr; €6)

Deps at: 09.00 - 11.30 - 13.00 - 14.30 - 16.30 - 19.30

[With your flight times you should be able to catch the 09.00 or the 16.30]

Sorrento-Positano by bus takes approx 45 mins.
For Sita bus timetable Sorrento-Positano see:

http://www.sitabus.it/sitabus/campan...ROXV_inv_4.pdf

Hope this helps ...

Steve

ljforday Apr 13th, 2007 01:00 AM

thanks for that steve.
i've just tried to decipher the timetable you sent me.
the "autolineo napoli-amlfi line."
there are two f's indicating??
would you mind helping me decipher.
basically what i need to know is, if i get in to sorrento at 5.30 [from the bus] what time would my connecting bus be
many thanks
lynette

Steve_James Apr 13th, 2007 01:20 AM

The timetable you want is the bottom one -
AMALFI-POSITANO-SORRENTO and vice versa.

From Sorrento (Circumvesuviana capolinea) the next departure is 18.25 (- arr. Positano 19.05).

You'd have a shorter wait with the earlier flight. Assuming you catch the 09.00 Curreri bus to Sorrento, you'd have a bus from Sorrento to Positano at:

10.05 - 10.30 or 11.00

Hope this helps ...

Steve

N.B. Sorrento-Positano bus tickets must be bought in advance (- at Sorrento station shop) - and must be VALIDATED on boarding.

ljforday Apr 13th, 2007 01:31 AM

thank you so much steve.
i will go ahead and book the later flight as i dont fancy getting up too early in venice.
just before i commit to these non-changeable flights, can i just check that this is a current timetable. sorry to insult you by asking!!!
regards
lynette

ljforday Apr 13th, 2007 01:33 AM

sorry steve for the insult.
just scrolled to the top of the link and read FEBRUARY 2007.
many many many thanks for your help

Steve_James Apr 13th, 2007 03:52 AM

That timetable should be valid until June/July, Lynette, when the summer timetable comes in.

On the offchance that your flight is delayed and you don't make the 16.30 Curreri bus to Sorrento, Plan B would be ...

- bus to Napoli Centrale - from where you can catch the Circumvesuviana train to Sorrento.

Hope this helps ...

Steve

caroline_edinburgh Apr 13th, 2007 04:21 AM

ljfordday : it really is that difficult getting to Positano, unless you want to fork out €100 for a car and driver. Just for your entertainment - last year it took us 7.5 hours to get from Sant'Angelo on Ischia to Positano, which I think is about 30 miles as the crow files !

You are right that the Naples-Positano hydrofoil doesn't start running that early. The last 2 years it was due to start in early June but was delayed by repairs to the dock - in 2005 it hadn't yet started when we left on 2nd July and in 2006 it started on the day we left, 17th June. There is only 1 or 2 a day anyway.

BTW Steve is the expert and has the most comprehensive knowledge of the possibilities.

Go4Fun Apr 13th, 2007 08:02 AM

Steve,
Is the limo cost (i.e. 100 Euro from the Naples airport to Positano) per person or per car?

Also, do you happen to know the approximate cost of a car and driver from Fiumicino to Positano for two people would be?

Thanx

Steve_James Apr 13th, 2007 08:06 AM

Hi Go4 - The price is per car.

The going rate for a limo transfer FCO-Positano varies from about € 300-450. So it's advisable to shop around on this one ...

Steve

thegilbeys Apr 14th, 2007 01:02 AM

Anyone have a website (preferably in English) for the circumvesuviana train?

Steve_James Apr 14th, 2007 01:23 AM

Hi Gilbey -

www.massalubrense.it/circum.htm

Hope this helps ...

Steve

thegilbeys Apr 14th, 2007 01:38 AM

Wow Steve! You're always around when I need help - thanks.

thegilbeys Apr 14th, 2007 01:42 AM

Spoke too soon, I need more help. This is on the top of the page: feriale / weekdays (in yellow) direttissimo / fast train (in green)
Does this mean the yellow only runs on weekdays but all the white ones run on both weekdays and weekends?
And do the fast trains only run on weekdays as well?

Steve_James Apr 14th, 2007 01:54 AM

Feriale/Weekdays in Italy means Mon-Sat.
NOT Sundays/public holidays.

So ... the yellow ones run daily EXCEPT Sunday.

The white ones run 7 days a week.

The green ones are also 7 days a week.

Hope this helps ...

Steve