Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Naples to Milan and beyond: How would you go?

Jun 10th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

I'm helping my son and his fiance with honeymoon arrangements, and we need some advice! They'll be flying into Naples, spending a week in Amalfi and a week in Varenna (Lake Como), and flying out of Milan. My question is this: What's the best way to get from Amalfi to Varenna on Tuesday, July 10? Would it be better to fly (from Naples to Milan?) or to take the train? We can arrange for a driver to take them from Amalfi to Naples, but we're up in the air (figuratively) after that. I checked trenitalia.com, and it appears, for example, that there's a 9:48 am train that--with a change in Milan) gets them to Varenna at 5:19 pm. (I've never used this site before, so I hope I'm doing it right.) This seems fine, so maybe the train is best. If so, should they make reservations ahead of time? A previous poster on this board reported having his credit cards cancelled after using that website, so I'm a bit gun-shy.... In any case, thanks in advance for your advice!
Jun 10th, 2007, 10:07 AM
ira

Hi K,

After a week on the AC they are spending a week at a lake?

No Rome, No Florence, No Tuscany, NO VENICE????!!!!!

Oh well.

One nice way is to take the ferry to Salerno (docks are 3 blks from the train station) and then the train to Varenna.

The 19:21 night train requires a change in Naples, but gets to Milan at 07:15.

This gives them almost a full day on the AC and a day at Como.

They could also take the 20:36 from Naples (same train).

Jun 10th, 2007, 10:34 AM

If they are not interested seeing anything in between have them fly Naples to Milan,train to Como, ferry to Varenna.

But,no Rome, Florence ,or Venice.

Perhaps consider cutting 2 days from Naples,and 2 days from Varenna. Then 5 days in Naples,train to Rome-2days,--train to Florence--2 days,--train to Milan,--change for train to Como,--then ferry to Varenna. These are all on a continuous line North from Naples
Jun 10th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, folks, but the itinerary is set! I probably should have explained that my son and his fiance have been to Italy twice before, spending time in Rome, Bologna, Florence, and Venice. They'd like to save Tuscany for a cooler time of year. They wanted to go someplace romantic, and--since they both like boats and the water--this combination seemed ideal. Their hotels are "set" as well (after all, the wedding is in 3 weeks!), so they need to travel during the day rather than at night. Does it still make sense to take the train? Do you know of any problem reserving ahead, using the trenitalia.website? (I guess I'm worried about messing things up.) By the way, my husband is pushing for them to fly, but the train seems more straightforward. What do you think?
Jun 10th, 2007, 12:29 PM

I would probably fly. There are several options: Meridiana and Volareweb to Milan Linate, Myair to Bergamo, and Whichbudget also lists Easyjet to Malpensa.

Looking at the Myair site, there were some very low fares for evening flights (excluding taxes etc).
Jun 10th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

If they fly, would it be easier to get to Varenna (on Lake Como) from Linate or from Malpensa--or doesn't it matter?
Jun 11th, 2007, 08:54 AM

If they are renting a car then the journey from Linate is 95km (80 minutes) while Malpensa is 125km (1h50). Bergamo (Milan Orio al Serio) is closest at 70km (75 minutes).

If on public transport, then thay have to get to Milan central station, I am not sure of the bus times for each, but would guess they are similar at about 0 minutes. From Bergamo, the bus to Milan central would be around an hour.
Jun 11th, 2007, 08:54 AM

type - 30 minutes (0 minutes would be better, but star trek like transporters are not yet installed)
Jun 13th, 2007, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Darn! I was really hoping for 0 minutes. Thanks, willit; you've been very helpful. I booked an EasyJet flight for them (43 euros--not too bad). The website was incredibly easy to use: Almost seems too good to be true! I'll report back if it's not....
Aug 5th, 2007, 11:48 AM

Kathy,

How did the Easyjet flight from Naples to Milan go? Any issues? Did your son and his fiance (now wife) have any problems with Easyjet's luggage restrictions?
Sep 13th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

The EasyJet flight went fine! I know for a fact that that their luggage was over the weight limit, but no one batted an eye. They were a bit intimidated by, shall we say, the "intensity" of the other passengers (pushing and shoving), but overall the experience was a good one. Thanks for your help!
Sep 13th, 2007, 09:08 AM

Yes, I know I've had overweight luggage on EasyJet also, and when they weighed it, no one said a word.

About the pushing and shoving, I loved the Easy Jet flight where we had one of the highest numbers so we were nearly the last to be called to get onto a bus that took us to the plane. But then we were the first off the bus and among the first to get on the plane. Their number calling system isn't exactly the smartest plan.