Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Naples-That BAD????????? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/naples-that-bad-58787/)

dahlia Dec 30th, 1999 07:44 AM

Naples-That BAD?????????

I now have 3 books on Italy and every section on Naples talks about crime, dirt, noise, etc. Of course those things do not discourage us from seeing the Museum and Pompeii but I will appreciate it very much if you can share with us your experiences in Naples. Thanks!

Tom Dec 30th, 1999 08:29 AM

Try staying in Sorrento. It's a nice seaside town with plenty of hotels, and is an easy trip to Pompeii- which is definitely worth a visit- as well as to Capri. I've never been to Naples, but I believe it is close enough to Sorrento that you could make a day trip if you felt you wanted to see the museum there.

richard j vicek Dec 30th, 1999 10:07 AM

Good afternoon, Dahlia <BR>I personally beleive that Naples has <BR>been continually given a bad rap. There <BR>has been some very positive remarks on <BR>travel in Naples on this and other BB's <BR>over the summer.. We have not ever stay- <BR>ed in Naples for the same reasons wich <BR>are so widespread, however feel now that <BR>it would be a good stay as long as you <BR>keep your eyes open as to what is going <BR>around you as in any other big city. <BR>This is my opinion

Marilyn Ham Dec 30th, 1999 10:19 AM

We visited the museum in Naples, Spacadopoli (sp?), etc. We stayed away from the areas that we purported to be bad. We didn't have a moment's trouble. The gold shops in Naples are the best in Italy. We stayed in Pompei (the city) at the Forum (I think that is the name) it was recommended by John Garacio in one of his programs. Pompei is only minutes by the Circumvesiana (commuter train) from Naples. Marilyn

Patrick Dec 30th, 1999 11:00 AM

We spent three nights in Positano (which is beautiful), three nights on Capri (which was even greater, especially at night after the day trippers all left), and three nights in Sorrento, where we enjoyed our evenings after going to Pompeii by train (easy trip, but we spent the whole day there) and one day by boat (very easy and quick from Sorrento) to Naples. Naples was interesting, but I would repeat what we did before. See Naples in the day and stay in Sorrento. We probably walked about 12 miles in Naples and had the worst pizza of our lives (highly recommended by locals), but the waiter talked is into the simplest pizza --hard, chewy crust, acidic tomato paste on top and very little flavor. All the locals around us were ordering pizzas loaded with wonderful looking things. It is indeed a big city, and pretty dirty, but we never felt unsafe --but then neither do we feel unsafe in New York.

Tom Dec 30th, 1999 10:28 PM

Dahlia, <BR> We've been to Naples several times, and my wife and I love it. There's lots of great shopping, great churches and museums, and much better food than The other respondee suggested. If you like to be with the tour crowds and the "safer" cities, then I would advise going to Sorrento or Positano or Capri. We go there also, but Naples will give you a whole different, and I think, more interesting view of Italy. It's probably not for the timid traveler. <BR> We usually stay at the Parker Hotel. It's right up above the center of town, and about 30 min. by taxi to the airport. Don't drive in Naples unless you've driven in Rome or Palermo. Naples has a good subway, which is safe in the daytime. <BR> I'll watch for your response & email you directly if you want. <BR>Ciao, Tom

Dona Dec 31st, 1999 06:17 AM

I think that Naples gets much of the same reputation that New York City does - or at least did. I love them both. I stayed in Naples for a few days before going on to Ischia, Procida (the lttle fishing island recently used as a backdrop in "The Talented Mr. Ripley") and Capri and the Amalfi coast. I would do it again in a minute - and plan to. <BR> <BR>We stayed at a lovely hotel, Hotel Miramare, on the port. Wonderful breakfast on the roof overlooking the Bay of Naples and Vesuvius. beautiful. <BR> <BR>The energy of Naples and the history and art should not be missed. We found the wonderful "doll hospital" owned by an 80+ year old gentleman, where they have been making puppets for the opera (the largest operhouse in Italy)since it opened - the doll hospital now houses an incredible collection of antique dolls and doll parts for today's children to repair their friends. <BR> <BR>The food was wonderful - of course, you can get bad pizza anyplace - but pizza reportedly originated here and for good reason. The fresh tomatoes and prosciutto with basil was memorable. And mozzarella di buffula is imported from Naples to many parts of Italy. The seafood is a main staple - fresh and wonderful. <BR> <BR>Naples has poured a ton of money into making the city safe and I believe it has succeeded. I was also afraid of staying in Naples (and I live in Manhattan!) - boy, am I glad I did - and will again. <BR> <BR>Go and have a wonderful time! <BR> <BR>Dona

Graziella Dec 31st, 1999 08:59 AM

Thanks a lot Donna for your positive answer, we have been in Naples long ago and loved it, can you tell me more about the Miramare hotel , like how much was a double room...aprox. <BR>I agree with you there is a lot of history, and a lot to see in Naples,TALGraziella

Dona Dec 31st, 1999 09:41 AM

Graziella, <BR> <BR>I don't remember what I paid - but the hotel is listed (with pictures) in the Fodor's "Hotels and Country Inns of Character and Charm in Italy", 2nd edition (1996) and they quote 250,000 - 350,000 lire. <BR> <BR>Dona

michele Dec 31st, 1999 10:38 AM

Although I haven't been to Naples in years, the one time I was there I loved it. We ( I was travelling with my younger sister) were warned repeatedly by Italians not to go as it was dirty, unsafe , etc. Yes, it is not the cleanest place, but the food and the history is amazing. We walked all over and did not feel unsafe ( teenage naivte, maybe).Recently I read that the mayor is doing a great deal to clean-up both the city and the crime ( all the crime I have read about or heard about has been of the pickpocketing variety). He has been somewhat successful. My advice is GO, especially if you love big cities and all that they offer. ( Keep us posted here as I am thinking of returning next year).

dahlia Jan 1st, 2000 07:35 AM

Thank you all for your feedbacks and comments. As I said all those discouraging talks about Naples did not stop us in going to Naples but I rather not stay there if I have choice. However, we are flying back to US from Naples(6:30 A.M.) and I thought it is better that way rather than going back to Rome and flying home from Rome. I would say NY does not intimidate me as I work there----I think it is a very cultured, vibrant, interesting city but when on vacation I try to avoid travel hassles. Tom, please reply re Parker Hotel as we would like to stay as near as possible to the airport, what was your experience with the hotel, rate and phone #. Did you transfer by hotel shuttle or by taxi (approximately how much)? We are kind of nervous because of the early flight, if not, we'll rather stay in Sorrento. Thanks!

tom Jan 1st, 2000 09:00 PM

Hi Dahlia, <BR> The Parker Hotel was very nice - about $200 a night. It's listed in most of the travel books. <BR> The taxi ride to the Naples airport is only about 15-20 minutes at that time of the morning, and cost us about $25. The ride from Sorrento is a lot longer, so you'd be getting up at 4a.m. in the morning. <BR>Have fun, <BR>Tom

dahlia Jan 3rd, 2000 06:26 AM

Thanks again Tom re Parker Hotel. I was looking into something less than $200 because technically, we'll just a need a bed to sleep (in a safe neighborhood) on the night before our flight. Please fellow Fodorites, share your experience with your Naples hotel that is within $100-120 range. Thanks again!

JJJ Jan 3rd, 2000 07:39 AM

YES YES YES IT IS THAT BAD AND WORSE!!!