Naples Teatro San Carlo Tour

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2006, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are interested in taking a tour of the San Carlo Opera House in Naples. I have some vague info on it found in guidebooks, but they just raise more questions. Has anyone taken this tour? If so, is it open on Fridays? If so, when? We will be in Naples on a Friday.

Thanks!
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 08:57 AM

Scully, I'm going to be there too, in September, and am MOST excited! Have you been to their great website? Check out the link: "How do I?" Answers to MANY questions, including how to dress for a performance, and tour information (daily 9am, 7pm).

Now why don't all of Italy's chartered opera houses have the same link? Paradoxically enough, it is the Neapolitans, and not the Northern Italians, who are the most organized here!

www.teatrosancarlo.it/english/home.html

Old Aug 1st, 2006, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Girlspy. I looked at the website, but I didn't see the tour info. I'll check again. I will be there in September too.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 09:11 AM

Go to the link "useful information" and that will take you to "how do I." Most unfortunately, their great opera season doesn't start until October-I'd beg borrow and steal to see "Cavalleria Rusticana" at Teatro San Carlo. Yes, I would.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

I found it! Yeah, we wanted to take in an opera ourselves, but we'll be too early in the season.

I'm very excited about our trip too!
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 11:47 AM
bellastarr

Scullysioux
I took this tour a few years ago-
I just walked in - went to the desk- and bought a ticket.
I don't remember what day of the week it was, though.

Old Aug 1st, 2006, 12:00 PM

Scully- I am soooo looking forward to my trip to Napoli! It's been too many years-and I believe I will like my hotel very much-not right in the center of things, but about a 20 minute walk-in a real Neapolitan neighborhood (which is what I always prefer). Best of all, it has lovely elegant rooms (a renovated 18th century building) and of course most important to yours truly: a drop dead gorgeous terrace for breakfast, and I understand, very good dinners (although lots of great little neighborhood restaurants across the street) with a view of both Napoli's Botanical Gardens, AND Mt. Vesuvius.

Should be great-Hotel del Real Orto Botanico.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 01:04 PM

I have a VERY funny story pertaining to a San Carlo tour in Naples. I go to Naples frequently, since my wife's brothers and sisters live in Naples. A few years ago, I walked over to San Carlo, (the family lives pretty close) and mosied around the lobby, trying to look into the main theater. A security guard came over and asked if he could help. I said that I wanted to see what the Opera House lokked like. He said that he would not let me in, that tours were open on specific days, and besides, they were rehearsing Turandot, with Pavarotti starring. He told me to come back tomorrow, and take a tour. I told him (a fib) that I was leaving for the US tomorrow, and sort of pleaded for him to let me take a peek. Just then, the manager, (who I've since seen on the Travel Channel), came over and asked what was the matter. I repeated my story about leaving for the US. He told me he had just returned from the US, from Brooklyn. I asked where in Brooklyn he had visited. He told me he visited relatives on 18th Avenue there. I told him that was my old neighborhood, and we got into a discussion of the various places there, and he realized that I wasn't kidding him. He then promptly told the security guy to let me in and to sit me down while they were rehearsing. He told the security guy that we were related and to take good care of me. Neddless to say, I got a great view of Turandot, except that Pavarotti was not rehearsing with the rest of the company. I guess he was too good to be with the peasants, but I had a ball.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 02:14 PM

Great story, Waldo! Now, I want that to happen to me as well-'cuz I was thinking about whether I could wheedle my way in to watch a rehearsal-I know my chances aren't good at all, but I'm sure gonna give it a try!
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 02:16 PM

Great story, Waldo! Now, I want that to happen to me as well-'cuz I was thinking about whether I could wheedle my way in to watch a rehearsal-I know my chances aren't good at all, but I'm sure gonna give it a try
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 02:17 PM

oops! didn't mean to post twice.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 01:43 PM

Can anyone tell me please, if this theatre is near the Piazza San Carlo... It sounds like it is, but on the link in the post, I couldn't find an address for it...

If it is, could anyone comment on the area, as well as a market area that is in the middle of Via San Antonio Abate... or appears to be...

Thanks so much for your time... XXX
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

It is in the area of the Galleria Umberto and Piazza del Plebiscito on the via San Carlo. If you get a good map you can find it easily. Actually, Fodor's Naples 25 best book is decent and it has a pull out map, although the map is not as detailed as I would have liked, but it should get you to the Opera House.