Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Naples--taxi from airport to docks; ticket purchase questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/naples-taxi-from-airport-to-docks-ticket-purchase-questions-799863/)

ekscrunchy Aug 7th, 2009 01:44 PM

Naples--taxi from airport to docks; ticket purchase questions

I would be grateful if someone would let me know the approximate prices of a taxis from Naples airport to both the Beverello and Mergellina docks.

Our flight will arrive on a Sunday in mid September at 12:40pm. Our ultimate destination is Ischia (Forio).

There is transport to the island from both ports; can I safely wait until arrival to purchase ferry/hydrofoil tickets? Should I choose one departure dock over the other for any reason?
Anything else we need to know about arranging water transport to Ischia from Naples?

http://www.ischiaonline.it/page.php?...=EN&mysty=blue

GAC Aug 7th, 2009 01:54 PM

Save money by taking the ALIBUS airporter bus to Piazza Municipio (3 Euros), walk across the street to Molo Beverello, and take a hydrofoil to Ischia. A taxi is useful it you have lots of heavy luggage, and want to go directly to the docks. No reason to go all the way to Mergellina dock.

ekscrunchy Aug 7th, 2009 03:09 PM

Thanks, GAC. I do know about the bus, but I would like to get an idea of the taxi fare.

It is not all that far from the airport....

Do I need to buy tickets in advance of arrival?

ekscrunchy Aug 7th, 2009 03:24 PM

Also: What extra fees, if any, are there for taxi rides originating at the airport?

kybourbon Aug 7th, 2009 04:08 PM

19€ (page two)
http://www.portal.gesac.it/portal/pa...E_TAXI-agg.pdf

kybourbon Aug 7th, 2009 04:11 PM

It seems Beverello is a bit cheaper at 16€.

ekscrunchy Aug 7th, 2009 04:18 PM

Terrific! Many thanks!!

kybourbon Aug 7th, 2009 04:32 PM

Note that pesky luggage fee on the left. Let us know if you actually get those prices. You should print the link and take with you.

ekscrunchy Aug 8th, 2009 03:34 AM

Thanks ever so much, KY. I also see the starting charge for "festiva," which probably means Sunday. So the meter begins at 5.50 instead of 3 euro (??)

And there is a 3.10 supplement for rides beginning at the airport.

When I took a taxi from our hotel in Chiaia to the airport last year, the meter read 18 but the driver claimed we owed him 25. And I am ashamed to say that I paid because I "Assumed" that there were a couple of supplements and, although I realized that he was probably boosting his fare, I did not want to argue. So now I see that there actually was a supplement of 2.60, plus the baggage fees, plus the Sunday upcharge.

This link is a very good one. Thanks again.

ekscrunchy Aug 8th, 2009 03:36 AM

Also very interesting that t here is a fixed rate to the Amalfi Coast towns, the Rome FCO airport, and other out-of-town destinations.

Good idea to be aware of these if booking a private car for these popular trips.

kybourbon Aug 8th, 2009 03:55 AM

Also note that the pdf is dated 07 so the airport might not have updated their link to the current Commune di Napoli prices. I usually find my best transportation info on the airport websites which is where I found this link.

ekscrunchy Aug 12th, 2009 12:11 PM

Thanks again, KY!

ekscrunchy Sep 5th, 2009 09:29 AM

Related question:

Assuming that it is possible to do so, do I need to think about booking a hydrofoil in advance on a Sunday in September?

What about advance booking for the ferry from Ischia to Capri on a Friday, later this month? Purchase in advance of travel date? (On another post, I read about someone failing to book ahead for the Positano-Capri-Postano ferries and having to depart Capri earlier than intended as a result fo the desired boat being full)

Thanks!

GAC Sep 5th, 2009 11:26 AM

If you mean one of the hydrofoils from Beverello to Ischia on Sunday, Sept. 13 or 20 upon your arrival same day at the airport, I would say no, don't book ahead: you don't know which boat you'll be able to take, since you can't anticipate whether your flight will arrive late, or how late. Furthermore, there are enough services to Ischia that you can always take one of the later boats. Also, you're at the tail end of the summer rush, which means that there should be heavier traffic returning to Naples than travelling to Ischia.

As for the Friday connection from Ischia to Capri, I assume that you'll be able to make your booking conveniently while on Ischia, so no need to do so from overseas. Advance reservations are more important if this service is via hydrofoil versus car ferry.

GAC Sep 5th, 2009 11:39 AM

Here is the complete timetable of hydrofoils and ferries from Naples to Ischia. Note that the ferries depart from the Calata di Massa Port, which is 600 meters to the left of the Beverello Port facing the water. If you want to take the ferry, tell your taxi driver that your travelling by ferry and not by hydrofoil, so he'll drop you at the correct departure point. If you're taking the Alibus from the Naples airport, get off near the Beverello Port in Piazza Municipio (next to the "Old Castle" whose correct name is the Maschio Angioino or Castel Nuovo (and not Castel Vecchio!!!)), then cross the street to reach the docks for the hydrofoils. Note that tickets are NOT interchangeable amongst the various operators, yet another reason NOT to book in advance.

As you can see, there are numerous hydrofoils AND ferries to Ischia on Sunday afternoon.

http://www.ischia.org/orario/print.p...ISCHIA&lang=it

ekscrunchy Sep 5th, 2009 02:51 PM

That's very helpful and in a format I had not seen before. I guess my main concern was which port to head for from the airport. I will take the schedule with me, but it looks like it will be Beverello. I was concerned that perhaps there would be fewer departures in the middle of the month.

Many thanks for your help!

ekscrunchy Sep 16th, 2009 02:56 PM

One more question: Is there a luggage check at Beverello? (I can guess the answer to this one)

Are there any good eating options nearby, in case we have to wait for a ferry/hydrofoil? Pizza?

ekscrunchy Sep 17th, 2009 02:45 AM

anyone??