Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   NAPLES - SANITA' DISTRICT - IDEAS FOR VISITING (food, drink, sights?) (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/naples-sanita-district-ideas-for-visiting-food-drink-sights-1005267/)

EYWandBTV Feb 8th, 2014 03:48 PM

NAPLES - SANITA' DISTRICT - IDEAS FOR VISITING (food, drink, sights?)

Hello Helpful Fodor Forum People,

We have organized a trip to the Naples region in June, including Paestum, Salerno, and Ravello. A few months ago this trip was going to focus on Umbria but The Force pulled us southward to Campania.

Here is my question: Has anyone explored the district ("rione") of Sanita' in Naples? It seems a fascinating district, although very poor and possibly Camorra-infested. It apparently is full of some splendid Baroque architecture. I am especially interested in visiting the basilica of Santa Maria della Sanita' and the catacombs of San Gaudioso. There is a neighborhood civic organization which employs young students to give tours. There are also several palaces with wonderful courtyards and staircases. But is it worth going into this district when the Naples centro has so much to offer? We will only have two days in Naples, and we have two other places to visit, the Capodimonte museum and Sant'Elmo. Part of my interest in the Sanita' is to see how the neighborhood is trying to use its artistic treasures as an avenue for advancement.

If the Sanita' district is worth two or three hours, does anyone know of good places to eat there? We would like to find a simple trattoria, but after internet surfing and spending time doing virtual walks through the neighborhood streets using Google Map, nothing jumps out.

Us: in our 60s, like to walk, drink coffee and wine, eat. Art and architecture are strong interests, but we also enjoy slowly walking through neighborhoods, chatting (using our broken Italian) with people in stores or cafes or wherever.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Michael Feb 8th, 2014 04:31 PM

You could stay in the historical center and take the bus that goes to Capodimonte, it passes close to Santa Maria della Sanità.

kja Feb 8th, 2014 09:37 PM

"We will only have two days in Naples, and we have two other places to visit, the Capodimonte museum and Sant'Elmo."

Of course it depends on your preferences, but with only 2 days, I can't imagine not using the time to visit not just the Capodimonte, but also the awesome Archeological Museum and some of Naples's stunning and unique offerings along the Spaccanapoli!

EYWandBTV Feb 9th, 2014 02:01 AM

kja--yes, agree totally. I forgot to mention that we have been to Naples before, have spent much time in the Archeological Museum (also Pompeii) and have also wandered the Spaccanapoli. We could spend much more time exploring the centro, of course, but our total trip time is limited and it's the effort of [some] elements of the Sanita' neighborhood to use art and architecture as a path to urban renewal that is intriguing...

EYWandBTV Feb 9th, 2014 02:02 AM

Michael--thank you, great idea.