Naples-Pompeii-Capri in a day?

Jun 12th, 2001, 03:15 PM
John

Naples-Pompeii-Capri in a day?

My family are taking a cruise stopping at Naples at 7 a.m. and departing at 7 p.m.. Wondering if we could do the loop via train and hydrofoil , Naples to Pompeii, do the tour then on the train to Sorrento and catch a hydrofoil to the Isle of Capri finally to return to Naples by hydrofoil. Anyone managed this on their own, is it to much to squeeze in? What are the logistics? Thanks!

Jun 12th, 2001, 03:23 PM
Thyra

John, IMHO, though logistically it might (Big emphasis on MIGHT) be possible to "do" all of these things... I can't see that it would be desireable to do so, again IMHO. My husband and I are extremely active 30 year olds, we took a train from Naples to Pompeii (around 10 am) spent about 5 hours exploring the sights... with a guide, (do yourself a favor and pay for a guide) we were only able to barely scratch the surface of this fascinating place, we then took the train back to Napoli, (we at lunch at Pompeii, we arrived back in Napoli sometime between 6 and 7..exhausted! The ruins are very warm (we were there in March) lots of walking. If this were my trip, I would decide on either Pompeii or Capri and maybe take in a little of Naples if you have an hour or so to spare, I think you will be much less stressed out and be able to enjoy which ever place you decide to see much more. Whatever you decide, have a safe and wonderful trip.

Jun 12th, 2001, 05:28 PM
Betsy

Thrya's right.

Jun 12th, 2001, 06:56 PM
adrienne

John,

If you did both Pompeii and Capri in one day you wouldn’t have any time to see anything. The train from Naples to Pompeii takes 30 minutes; and then 30 minutes to Sorrento, walk into town and wait for the bus to the port for the hydrofoil to Capri. You’d have to wait for the next boat and then the trip to Capri takes about 40 minutes. The last boat from Capri leaves about 5:00 and I’m not sure what time the first train to Pompeii is so you would have less than 12 hours.

More than 3 hours would be spent in transit (including wait times for trains and boats). Having done both last year my choice would be Pompeii. It’s a facinating place – much more interesting than Capri.

Adrienne

Jun 13th, 2001, 06:41 AM
carol

Do Pompeii and then come back to Naples and do the National Archeological Museum, which has all the best frescos and mosaics from Pompeii. Remember that the sun is extremely intense and there is no shade in Pompeii, so wear hats and bring plenty of bottled water. It's a wonderful place.

Jun 13th, 2001, 07:17 AM
John

I just got back from the Grandeur cruise and we stopped at Naples. The ship offered an excursion that did Capri first, then Sorrento and finally Pompeii. Two couples at our table did the tour and said they were so rushed they didn't really appreciate any of it. So it is possible (although they did a bus to Pompeii and back to Naples where you would have to do a train) but I certainly wouldn't recommend it.

We simply took the hydrofoil to Capri and spent the day there. My wife and daughters did some shopping, I took a two hour hike and saw some pretty incredible sites and we all relaxed and had a great lunch in an open air restaurant overlooking the Marina - it was relaxing and wonderful - just what we needed after very busy days in Florence and Rome.

Jun 13th, 2001, 11:50 AM
John

Thanks everyone, sounds like a plan, one or the other but not both. I thought the logistics might be a bit tough, hard to judge from this side of the ocean. No point in going on vacation and being to rushed! This website sure is a lot of help.

Appreciate your input!

Jun 13th, 2001, 12:50 PM
Diane

We just got back from 3 wks in Italy, 3 nights on the Amalfi Coast. The highlight was a daytrip to Pompeii (ditto the suggestion to join a guided tour). The lowlight was a daytrip to Capri. Now that could have been because the weather was so-so when we went to Capri. However, while both are really big tourist magnets, Pompeii is one-of-a-kind extraordinary.

Jun 13th, 2001, 01:10 PM
Lisa

I have been watching this post with interest as I have the same question. I also really want to do both. Many others on this forum have recommended Heruculaneum over Pompeii as it is smaller and more compact and maybe not quite as hot.

I don't know if you feel the same way , John, or if I am wrong but I was wondering if seeing the highlights of Heruculaneum and "getting a taste of it" so to speak would satisfy my interest and then going on to Capri for the afternoon or doing it the other way around. I notice that our cruise ship does a half day tour to both Heruculaneum and Pompeii but as they go on to a cameo factory, that did not really appeal to me, but obviously a few hours would be sufficient.

When we were in Petra last year. It was incredibly hot and I did not feel the need to walk around the entire site in the heat. We saw many of the sites in the one area and I felt that we would be seeing more of the same in other areas. Maybe seeing a small section of it or a short tour would suffice and then you can go onto Capri?

Any one have any thoughts or comments on a short visit to Herculaneum and then onto Capri?

Jun 13th, 2001, 01:22 PM
Howard

Whether it's Pompeii or Herculaneum, you are still facing the same time constraints. The advice of others still holds: If you do more than one, you're not be fair to yourself or the sites!

Jun 13th, 2001, 02:41 PM
anne

did the naples/sorrento/capri/amalfi trip this past year for a week.
Just my humble opinion (although it sounds like you are anxious to try to do it all in the one day you have):

1. Capri was definitely the lowpoint. Crowds were worse than Pompeii, not much interesting to see, steep hills to climb and tide wasn't favorable for the blue grotto trip. Some shopping that was worthwhile on the upper part of the island, but you could easily do the same in Naples. I'd spend the time in Sorrento rather than catch the boat to & from Capri. I seem to recall the hydrofoil schedule didn't run as often to Naples as the boats run back & forth to Sorrento (either every hour or every other hour). If it's at all foggy, SKIP CAPRI ALTOGETHER.

2. Pompeii was the high point. A strategy of "see a small part of it so you can squeeze in Capri, too" would have left me disappointed. Our tour gave us about 3 hours, and I could have used a couple more. It's the sheer size and variety of Pompeii that was what (for me) was so impressive.

Anyway ... It's your trip. Make the right decision for you and enjoy it. It's a beautiful part of the country.