Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Naples or Sorrento? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/naples-or-sorrento-815938/)

diane9 Nov 28th, 2009 04:16 PM

Naples or Sorrento?

Next Sept. we will be spending the last 5 days of our 14 day trip to Italy in Positano.
We are flying out of Naples on a 7:30am flight. I'm debating if we should stay
in Naples, for our last night, just to be close to the airport? Or.....stay in Sorrento and hire a car to drive us early in the morning.....???

We don't have a lot of interest in exploring Naples, as I've heard it can be pretty rough.
The only reason we would stay there would be for convenience.
Any suggestions or advise?

artsnletters Nov 28th, 2009 04:25 PM

With such an early flight out, I'd bite the bullet and stay in Naples. Actually, I'd look for a hotel right by the airport, since you have no interest in Naples itself.

(Obviously there's no reason you should go if you're not interested, but Naples has a lot to offer, despite its gritty character.)

iris1745 Nov 28th, 2009 05:02 PM

Hi; We hired a car from Ravello to Naples for a 7am flight. Got picked up at 4am and were at the airport at 5am. Positano would be a bit further than Ravello, so you would have to also leave by 4am from Positano. Going to Sorrento would be OK. But, again, you would have to leave early in the am. That could be an inviting day in Sorrento. So, how do you feel about getting up early in the morning. No traffic at that tme in the am. Richard

bobthenavigator Nov 28th, 2009 05:34 PM

Sleep near naples airport.

diane9 Nov 28th, 2009 07:20 PM

Thanks everyone, I think we'll stay in Naples to make it easier in the morning. We'll head over the day before and spend some time in Sorrento before heading into Naples.

ira Nov 29th, 2009 03:22 AM

Hi Di,

You have been misinformed about Naples.

It is grimy, sometimes dirty, hectic, often chaotic, very much alive and SOOOOOOO Italian. :)
I liked it very much.

I would do at least 1 day and one night there.

These hotels have gotten good reviews here:
http://www.costantinopoli104.com/
http://www.hotelpiazzabellini.com/
http://www.albergosansevero.it/

Enjoy your visit
((I))

ekscrunchy Nov 29th, 2009 03:48 AM

If you are worried about griminess in Naples be aware that these comments are usually reserved for the historic center around Spaccanapoli, which is a log street that cuts through its core and changes names along the way.

Another option is to stay in the Chiaia district which is much more upscale and not in the least bit gritty; you can walk from there to the area described above in about 30 minutes and it is a wonderful walk along the Via Chiaia. If you stay in Chiaia, I would recommend this hotel; they often have good internet rates.

http://www.palazzoalabardieri.it/eng...e_speciali.asp

From Chiaia, the route to the airport is quite direct.

stepsbeyond Nov 29th, 2009 07:28 AM

Before settling on staying anywhere near the Naples airport, I would check out hotel reviews on Tripadvisor. When people recommend a hotel or hotel location, you should find out if they have stayed there personally.

diane9 Nov 29th, 2009 07:54 AM

Thanks for the good sugestions everyone. We do not want to stay near the airpot. We're considering the Excelsior Hotel and we'll make a point to tour around a bit before we leave.

Jean Nov 29th, 2009 05:08 PM

We had lunch on the terrace of the Excelsior several years ago. It's a beautiful, old-world hotel with wonderful views of the bay, the Sorrentine Peninsula, and on a clear day Capri and a peek of Ischia. It's a short walk to Castel dell'Ovo, the Royal Palace, the opera house and the Galleria Umberto (similar to Milan's Galleria).

ekscrunchy Nov 30th, 2009 02:54 AM

...and don't forget that within the Galleria Umberto is the wondrous Sfogliatelle Mary, source of some of the best HOT pastries in Naples!

TDudette Nov 30th, 2009 06:28 AM

And what is the Naples museum with the stuff from Pompeii? Really great place-sorry I'm having a sr. moment.

kja Nov 30th, 2009 06:38 AM

> what is the Naples museum with the stuff from Pompeii?

The National Archeological Museum, which has a remarkable collection.

I enjoyed Naples very much, especially (but not exclusively) Spaccanopoli. It might not be to everyone's taste, but I'm with Ira on this one - Naples can be gritty, but it is also vibrant and fascinating and filled with treasures.

jjkbrook Dec 2nd, 2009 08:10 PM

We just finished a week in Naples, staying up in Vomero but spending most of our time walking the City, with great pleasure at the spirit and humor of the people, the great interest and beauty and history of the place. Riding the funicular one night, we shook our heads looking around at the polite considerate EUROPEANS and considered how silly it was to give Naples a bad rap. It is more free wheeling and not quite as clean as the northen cities but still just fine, especially compared to our hometown of downtown Brooklyn. You just have to put it all in perspective, since the payoff of visiting Naples is great for walkers, lovers of food, culture and great cities. The touristic part, down by the Harbor, Santa Lucia and even Chiaia is dull and lifeless by comparison with the historic churches and lively street scene of Spaccanopoli and adjoining areas.

the archeological museum is on Via Cavour, one metro stop from the main railroad station and close to several boutiquie hotels and the historic center. the Palace and museum at Capodimonte, a short bus ride from Piazza Danta or via Cavour, is world class as well.

ekscrunchy Dec 3rd, 2009 03:20 AM

JJJKbrook; Would you mind sharing where you stayed in Vomero and how you liked it. I have considered lodging in this area and twice recently have decided against it because I thought it might be too inconvenient for sights... I would love to hear your experience...

caroline_edinburgh Dec 3rd, 2009 03:25 AM

I'd rather stay in Naples than Sorrento, for however long you are planning to stay there. Naples is fascinating with so much to see and experience, we found a week (staying in the historic centre) wasn't enough. Sorrento IMO is like an Italian Blackpool - very popular with British package tours. Plus, if you are already spending time in Positano I see no point in visiting Sorrento too - both are seaside resorts but Sorrento is less nice.

jjkbrook Dec 3rd, 2009 07:24 PM

In Vomero, we rented an apartment, very simple, just a room perched on a roof but comfortable, with a good view and excellent transportation connections minutes away via the 3 funiculars,that go down to the Center (Via Toledo, near the Galleria), to Montesanto (with its rail and subway links)as well as its markets and entree into Spaccanapoli, and to chiaia, and the Scarlatti Metropolitana station which goes to Piazza Dante as well as linking to the other line at Cavour.

Vomero is an upper middle community/think say Upper West Side. There is shopping (a big supermarket nearby tho we liked Montesanto's small shops better), quite a number or restaurants and good pizzerias,pastry shops and gelaterias which we did not sample because once we got home at night husband was satisfied to stay in and snack on wine, cheese,salami, porchetta fruit, pastries etc. He finished off a nice bottle of mirtillo too, while there.

We were also a short walk from the Certosa, with its stunning views, interesting collections and church.

We stayed at Una Terrazza sul Golfo, through www.bbplanet.it

ekscrunchy Dec 4th, 2009 03:18 AM

Many thanks, JJ. I expect to pass through Naples again in the hopefully not-too-distant future, so your advice comes in handy. It sounds as if your stay worked out very well.

caroline_edinburgh Dec 6th, 2009 03:02 AM

Hi eks. just to add my tuppence-worth - did you visit Vomero when you wre in Naples ? We did and didn't much care for it - IMO it was an affluent suburb and could have been anywhere. It wouldn't be like staying in Naples for me.

iris1745 Dec 6th, 2009 07:49 AM

HI; Anyone staying in Naples can't go wrong staying in the hotel Ira mentioned, www.costantinopoli104.com We enjoyed our stay in this hotel. Richard