Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Naples or Sorrento (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/naples-or-sorrento-644359/)

P67742 Sep 5th, 2006 06:20 AM

Naples or Sorrento

Hello,

A few more questions. I will be flying into Naples next July and will be in the Amalfi Coast area for 3 nights. Should I stay in Naples or split this by staying in Sorrento for 2 nights (il Nido) and Naples (early air transfer) for 1 night?

My plan was to see Pompeii the day of my flight arrival (store luggage in entrance area), next day see Sorrento and neighboring towns via SITA bus, and then the last day, go to Capri for the day.

If I base in Naples, is Hotel Paradiso a good choice?

Not sure what I should do. Any recommendations??????

bill_boy Sep 5th, 2006 06:26 AM

Just how early is that flight from Naples?

If it were me, I'd do all 3 nights in Sorrento, which isn't really enough, afaic.

ira Sep 5th, 2006 06:29 AM

Hi P,

We very much enjoyed three days in Naples.

You can easily visit Pompei, Paestum, Sorrento and the AC from there.

You can also visit Herculaneum and Mt Vesuvius.

((I))

P67742 Sep 5th, 2006 07:24 AM

Thanks. My flight leaves Naples at 6:45 am. Where would you recommend I stay in Naples (100-150 per night). Should I stay close to the port area? I was looking into Hotel Paradiso and I also noticed Executive was recommended. Any suggestions?

MyriamC Sep 5th, 2006 08:05 AM

The President is in a good area of Naples, the Posillipo neighborhood. Chiaia is maybe the best area but I think hotels are much more expensive there.
Check out www.venere.com for more hotels and the location of both areas.

Kristinelaine Sep 5th, 2006 08:46 AM

I would stay in Sorrento for two nights and only the last night in Naples. We loved Il Nido a couple of years go.

P67742 Sep 5th, 2006 08:53 AM

Thanks. I am still so confused. I am leaning towards staying in Sorrento and moving back for the night in Naples. Was trying to make moving luggage around easier. But from what I have read, Sorrento is just such a nice place to stay. Any suggestions for a Naples airport hotel?

roseland243 Sep 7th, 2006 09:28 AM

I would stay in lovely Sorrento. We found Naples to be dangerous. My wife was mugged at 9:30 in the morning on a busy street, and I believe the shop owners assisted. Later, the Police told us, "This is Naples, not Rome."

ira Sep 7th, 2006 10:52 AM

Roseland,

You went to all the trouble of registering so that you could claim that your wife was mugged in the early AM with the assistance of the shop owners?

Where is the rest of yuor trip report?

((I))

ekscrunchy Sep 7th, 2006 12:50 PM

That reminds me: When I was mugged in Palermo last year, the very kind policemen (who gave us a city tour in the back of their patrol car to make up for my bad experience) reprimanded me for spending my vacation in that city. Turns out they were natives of Naples and they swore to me that that sort of thing would never happen in THEIR city! Quite amusing.

cis1892 Sep 7th, 2006 01:19 PM

Everybody seems to have a mugging story for Italy. I'd be willing to bet that on a per capita basis, there are more muggings in Las Vegas than in Napoli. And Vegas only tries to look like Italy; I'd take the real thing and run the risk of someone ripping off your fake Prada bag.

bill_boy Sep 8th, 2006 06:49 AM

... or take the real thing (Naples) and run the risk of being mugged in a completely foreign surrounding, potentially cash-less and, worse, passport-less, and vainly explaining to the polizia how/where/when it occured.

I love Italy and would go there in a heartbeat, but the premise of applying the "lesser of the 2 evil theory" would still favor Vegas for an American tourist.