Naples in September

Feb 21st, 2002, 01:15 PM
Diane

Naples in September

We will be in Naples for about 1 week at the end of September and early
October. Are there water ferries to Positano at that time of year? If not, what suggestions do you have for getting there? There are 4 of us.
Any suggestions on which of the islands to visit ? Is Naples a good city to be based out of or should we consider shifting hotels to one of the islands or Positano for a few days?
Also, we are looking for a good 'charming' hotel in Naples (approx. 200-250 Euro per room) that is safe for walking, shopping, and within walking distance to the ferries. Any good suggestions? My father speaks fluent Italian so we are open to a fun recommendation as long as the rooms are nice and the area is safe.
thanks for your help!

Feb 21st, 2002, 01:59 PM
GAC

I don't believe that the direct hydrofoil from Naples Mergellina to Positano operates as late as October. Ask the hotel concierge for the schedules. Absent the hydrofoil, your best transportation option is to take the hydrofoil (or the Circumvesuviana train) to Sorrento, and then the SITA bus to Positano. Naples could make an excellent base for visiting Pompei, Caserta, Sorrento, Capri, Ischia, and the Campi Flegrei. In your price range, I can recommend the Hotel Miramare, on Via Nazario Sauro, in the Santa Lucia District. It is a boutique "hotel de charme". It is also within pleasant walking distance of Piazza Plebiscito-Palazzo Reale, the San Carlo Opera House, Piazza Municipio and the Castel Nuovo, and Via Caracciolo (waterside promenade). If you want something grander, consider the nearby Hotel Excelsior on Via Partenope, or the Grand Hotel Parker's on Corso Vittorio Emanuele, with top floor rooms enjoying beautiful views of the Bay. The latter, however, is somewhat less conveniently located for pedestrian activities. Capri is a really beautiful island, and could be seen on a day trip from Naples, although much of its charm can only be experienced by staying overnight. Read my other postings on Naples on this site.

Feb 21st, 2002, 04:50 PM
Diane

Thanks for the recommendation. Are you familiar with either of these 2 B&Bs...Donna Regina Vecchia, near the cathedral and the archeological museum, or La Pagliarella? Both of these are in the old town center. Is this a safe area? They look like a wonderful slice of Naples on the web site but not sure if the location is convenient.
Also, are you familiar with Procida? The forum seems to have a lot of discussion on this small island.
Thanks

Feb 22nd, 2002, 10:45 AM
GAC

I'm not familiar with these two properties, although I have toured the Spaccanapoli District on foot. Since you asked about hotels in the 200-250 Euro price range, I immediately thought of the big hotels on the waterfront, in the Santa Lucia District, rather than the small pensioni in the Spaccanapoli. I have often thought that it might be nice to stay in this very crowded (and somewhat dark) part of town, even though the vast majority of people would recommend the waterfront area. On balance, however, I still would gravitate to the Waterfront (or perhaps the Britannique/Parker's on Corso V.E.) If I could get strong recommendations about a pensione in the Spaccanapoli area, I might be tempted to stay there, for the very different experience. You might also check out the website for the Alloggio Sansevero in Piazza San Domenico. As for Procida, I have not been there, but would certainly go if I had the time. If Vincenzo is reading this post (Vincenzo, ci sei?), perhaps he can respond with more information on your inquiry.

Search this Thread