Naples - hotels, best areas to stay?

Aug 31st, 2001, 08:05 AM
Ruth

Naples - hotels, best areas to stay?

We are going to southern Italy and would like to spend some time in Naples. I have read many good and bad things about Naples on this forum, and would like to know which areas would be "best" to stay in, in-so-far as safety, strolling around at night enjoying the trattorias and wine bars. Any recommendations for particular hotels would be great as well around $100-150 US/night. Thank you.

Aug 31st, 2001, 08:21 AM
michele

Ruth,
When are you going? I'll be there in March , staying at the B&B Parteno ( got it from a poster here). It's in your price range, has a webiste(in Italian), but Alex Ponzo will answer you email promptly and in English. There are other suggestions on this forum. The Miramare (Miramonte?) was one, and a friend of mine loved the Santa Lucia. These are all on the waterfront, which is described as a"beautiful safe area" in a least one guidebook.

There is an elite group of Naples-lovers who post here. I'm sure you'll get a lot of good info.

Michele

Aug 31st, 2001, 08:50 AM
GAC

Check out the three-star Hotel Rex in the Santa Lucia quarter (one block from the seaside promenade, practically next door to the Hotel Excelsior). Double with A/C, Private Bath and Breakfast US$95. The Hotel Miramare closeby (check their website) is more expensive and more luxurious. There are many good restaurants nearby. I particularly liked "Il Posto Accanto", managed by the same people who run the Hotel Miramare. The stroll along the waterfront after dinner is extremely pleasant.

Aug 31st, 2001, 10:51 AM
carol

Read my rave review of the Miramare on the Rants/Raves section here. I had a wonderful stay there and especially loved the beautiful buffet breakfasts on the flower-bedecked roof terrace overlooking the bay, and the warm and friendly atmosphere created by the owners and staff. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Naples if the Miramare was available. It's a 4-star hotel, but I'd define it as an upscale 3-star. The Vesuvio, Santa Lucia, Excelsior are much more formal and fancy. The location on the Via Partenope or Via Sauro is on the waterfront and IMO the only place to stay. It's very pretty and safe, and the Borgo Marinaro has numerous trattorias right on the bay. I ate there almost every night. I spent 10 days in Naples for the first time last May and fell in love with it.

Aug 31st, 2001, 10:53 AM
carol

I think you actually might find a room in the upper end of your price range at the Miramare. If not, try the Parteno.

Aug 31st, 2001, 04:34 PM
micia

the above posts are right on mark.
Pick a place out on the water front.
There are many fine hotels and such a great location.
You are in walking distance to the center and all the shops, great restaurants, really nice park and one in particular wonderful pastry right in front of the park entrance (entrance opposite american consulate).
You won't be alone at night as the people are everywhere until very very late.

Sep 4th, 2001, 06:39 AM
Ruth

Thanks to all for their very helpful suggestions. Michele, we hope to go in November. I'm hoping plane fares will come down a bit more...

Sep 4th, 2001, 09:30 AM
GAC

From November 1st, LAX to Naples is only $618 round trip on Alitalia (less from the U.S. East Coast).