Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Naples - Hotel to stay for 2 nites
Notices

Naples - Hotel to stay for 2 nites

Mar 8th, 2014, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Naples - Hotel to stay for 2 nites

My wife and I will be in Naples for two nights (a Friday nite and Saturday nite). Looking for recommendations on a hotel; and somewhat confused in relation to neighborhoods and where might be the best area for a tourist to stay. Looking for around $200 or less if possible per nite. I have seen names of several hotels and wonder if anyone has stayed at any of these (Hotel Piazza Bellini, Hotel Il Convento, Chiaja Hotel De Charma, and Decumani Hotel de Charma).
Mar 8th, 2014, 12:02 PM

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Piazza Bellini for 3 nights in October 2012 and loved it. It is in the historical centre and very close to the Archeological museum which we thoroughly enjoyed.
The neighbourhood is fascinating, looks a bit rough around the edges but we felt safe and we found lots of good places to eat nearby.

The hotel is modern /whimsical inside an old building.We had a room with a terrace which we really enjoyed. Everything was clean, the bathroom was nice, bed was comfortable, we found the staff helpful. Breakfast is included and I did not like the coffee they had in urns but if you ask the staff in the breakfast room they will make you an espresso or cappuccino.
We enjoyed having a drink in the courtyard in the evening.
We would stay here again.
Mar 8th, 2014, 01:59 PM

What are you planning to do in Naples as a tourist? If you are planning to sightsee in Naples itself, then staying around the piazza Bellini or where the Hotel Il Convento is located is a good choice. If you are focusing on Pompei, then somewhere near the archeological museum is good (because you can easily visit the museum and walk to the train station from there. If you are planning to arrive or leave by boat then it makes sense to stay closer to the docks. The only area where I would recommend you not stay is right near the train station. Like other cities in the world, the train station area is shabby. Otherwise, pick on the basis of reviews and hotel amenities. If you drink coffee, go to Caffe Mexico (there are several around town). But in general Naples has fantastic coffee in its cafes, some of the best in the world, so skip the hotel coffee and head outside for some.
Mar 8th, 2014, 10:58 PM

Hotel Piazza Bellini is perfectly located. In media res, but not as crazy as further into Spacinapoli.

Make sure you have a good guidebook (like DK Eyewitness.) It is a very confusing city, totally beautiful and captivating.

Research. Make plans.

Be sure to get up to see the Capodimonte museum and palace. Wander around the center. Go to the Archaeological Museum in the morning (more galleries open.) Go eat a sfogliatelle or six at Sfogliatelle Mary in the Galleria Umberto, one of the great rooms in the world. Espresso at Caffe Mexico, near the piazza Bellini. Wonderful pizza at Sorbillo.

Only warning: taxi drivers are sweet, drive like maniacs, and will probably try to rip you off. One guy tried to pretend his digital clock was the meter. Humor and firmness work perfectly well; just keep your eye on the meter and laugh hysterically at whatever he says first. No harm really intended; just another way of life. Same reason you should keep your wits about you as you wander.

Search this Thread