Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Naples, Herculaneum and Capri Early April - recommendations

Old Dec 18th, 2016, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are visiting Naples and area for about 6 nights in early April and thinking of splitting our time: 4 nights Naples and 2 nights Capri. We toured Pompeii in 2000 for several hours on a Windstar cruise port of call in Positano, so we are thinking of skipping it. We want to see Herculaneum as well as the National Museum in Naples, and we think underground Naples sounds archaeologically appealing and suits our interests. We also thought we should get to Capri at least once, and this appears to be our shot at doing so though I realize it is early in the season.

I would appreciate any recommendations and suggestions for touring the area. We are flying into Rome for a 14 night vacation and celebrating our 42nd anniversary, so we would probably spend 2 nights in Rome at the beginning and 6 nights in Rome at the end, though we might change that schedule a bit based on what we learn as we plan our vacation. One limitation: we don't enjoy driving in Italy.
Old Dec 18th, 2016, 03:19 PM

Take the local train to Herculaneum. Its ticket office and access is located on the lower level of the main train station. No reservations necessary as it is a commuter train.

We liked the B&B Medea.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca...7627058744325/
Old Dec 18th, 2016, 03:34 PM

Trains are great for Rome to Naples- book early as possible to get deep discounted fares - www.trenitalia.com -book your own. For general info on Italian trains also check www.seat61.com - great advice on booking discounted tickets; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

Yes Capri is great but I like Ishcia just as much -maybe do both.

Ercolo is reached by Circum Vesuviana commuter trains easily from Naples.

Caserta - a lavish palace is just a short train ride from Naples: https://www.google.com/search?q=case...HXZ4DtsQsAQIGQ.

If interested in archaeological sites take a day trip to Pasestum- train direct from Naples to Salerno -about an hour or so then local train or bus or taxi to the site:

https://www.google.com/search?q=paes...HQwDAroQsAQIGQ

And finally there are the Phlegraen Fields of volcanic activity and old ruins just west of Naples - take a tram from Naples to Pozzuoli.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phlegraean_Fields
4 whole days in Naples itself would seem too much for the average traveler so maybe use it as a base.
Old Dec 18th, 2016, 03:52 PM
kja

As one who adored Naples, I personally would want more time there, but of course, it depends on what YOU want to see and experience -- and the best way I know to figure out how much time to give a place is to lay what you want to see and do out on a calendar. A good guidebook or two should prove invaluable.

IMO, 2 nights should be plenty for Capri. Consider making time for the Villa San Michele while there.
Old Dec 19th, 2016, 08:37 AM

I too love Naples and have stayed there for some days. So it depends on the person - I would not say it is a city to relax in but be excited by what IME most Italian large cities looked like years ago - laundry strung between buildings on narrow lanes, etc and not at all all gussied up.
Old Dec 19th, 2016, 01:32 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We wished we had more than three nights on Capri.
Both Naples and Capri are wonderful places to visit, very different from each other, unique.
Old Mar 27th, 2017, 08:49 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
HappyTrvlr, did you write a trip report? I would love to hear more about your time on Capri.
Old Mar 28th, 2017, 04:46 AM

I wasn't as struck by Naples as I thought I would be but admittedly we only scratched the surface there and were staying at the port area which is perhaps not as colorful.
However we fell in love with Sorrento which is a short train ride away. It is a vintage resort town, with a lot of patina and well maintained charm . Have a drink (not food!) at Circolo dei Forestieri in the evening to experience true peace and quiet with a lovely view, it's absolutely magical. Also take the little Sorrento tourist train that passes through the city, it's charming.
Old Mar 28th, 2017, 06:45 AM

Where did you stay in Sorrento?
Old Mar 28th, 2017, 10:44 PM

I too would like to know where you stayed in Sorrento?
Old Mar 28th, 2017, 10:45 PM

I loved all the ideas of where to go from Naples. We are thinking of staying in Nocelle, a town on the Amalfi coast rather than Positano. Anyone know about that?
Old Mar 28th, 2017, 10:55 PM
kja

@ lynnees29: Please don't ask the same question on multiple threads! Look for answers on your other thread:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ith-sicily.cfm
Old May 18th, 2017, 08:12 AM

Back here about to head to Europe - Norway and Denmark first but my questions for Italy -

We arrive in Naples June 9 and fly out on June 14th. We want to experience it less as a tourist although that will be hard...We are staying in Sorrento and thinking maybe we skip Capri and go to Prochida or Ischia. Anyone's thoughts? Also whether to go to the peninsula west of Sorrento and not even try to go to Amalfi except on a boat. Does anyone have good names for boat captains or suggested itineraries?
Thank you, Lynnie
Old May 18th, 2017, 08:38 AM

I visited both Capri and Ischia and equally loved both-of course Ischia doesn't have the Blue Grotto but that is kind of ruined by so many tour boats and was closed the day I was there due to high water.

In just 5 days I'd concentrate on Naples if you want to see that city and Pompeii-Ercolo and and island and may a boat bop over to the Amalfi for a day -like to Positano.
Old May 18th, 2017, 09:32 AM

lynnees, years ago a beloved poster here named LoveItaly recommended a private driver for the Amalfi coast. I am finally going on the trip that was originally planned in 2008 and he will be meeting us at the ferry as we return from Capri and we will spend the day with him as we drives us along the Amalfi coast. LoveItaly raved about him and other Fodorites have used him as well. If you would like contact information, let me know.
Old May 18th, 2017, 10:17 AM

I love Hotel Minerva on Via Capo in Sorrento. Away from the business of Sorrento and has magnificent views of the Bay of Naples. Not as convenient as other places though, and since April will likely not be warm enough to sit out and really enjoy the views, it might not be worth it. Lovely in warm weather for anyone going later.