Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Naples help: one night, stay in Spaccanapoli or closer to Via Tribunali?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. Still planning a honeymoon next month. We'll have one night in Naples before coming home. We'll have just spent six days in Positano and will probably arrive in Naples around 2pm.

We don't need to check a bunch of sights off the list, though we may do the underground if we have time, but the main priorities are walking around, taking it all in, and eating pizza and sfogliatelle. We've been told to walk down Via Tribunali...I personally want to go to Sfogliatelle Mary and I haven't yet decided which pizza place(s) to try (one for a late lunch, one for a late dinner?).

We could stay at Hotel Plaza Decumani, in the "heart" of Spaccanapoli, or at the Decumani Charme, which is closer to Via Tribunali; they say they are in the heart of the "ancient city centre."

Having never been to Naples, I'm not sure which location is best for an overnight stay. We fly out at 12:50pm the next day so it's not too early, but realistically we'll just have an afternoon and evening to explore Naples. Both hotels look great, prices are similar, they are well reviewed. So it really comes down to location.

Thanks travelers!
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Whoops, I had these two as being much farther apart, sounds like it won't really make a difference! Sorry.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 03:18 PM

Debbie, we stayed here in May---:10 walking to both the Arch. Museum and to via Tribunali. You do not have much time but I would try to do both.
http://www.costantinopoli104.com/en/home
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 05:43 AM

I stayed at the Palazzo Decumani about 10 months ago and would recommend either that, or their sister hotel, if you want to stay in that area.

I find the location of both of these to be superior to that of the Constantinapoli104. They are also less expensive.

If the Decumani Charme is still the least pricey of the two, I would choose that one based on a quick visit and many reviews. The Palazzo Decumani has a contemporary "hip" design that may or may not be to your taste.

http://www.palazzodecumani.com/en/index

Both of the Decumani hotels are an easy walk to Mary which, as you know, is a MUST while in Naples. For pizza, Sorbillo on via Tribunali is extraordinary. See my trip report for many food details.

http://www.accademiadellapizza.it/tradizione.php

I wrote about Sfogliatelle Mary, and Sorbillo, on my report from two years ago; I will top the report for you soon. On that trip, I stayed in a hotel in Chiaia which was lovely, but further from your objectives.
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 09:51 AM

I have stayed at the Hotel Rex - http://www.hotel-rex.it/en/index.htm and would not hesitate to stay there again. I really enjoyed the location which felt very safe in the evenings and was within walking distance to many things. I walked to Archeology Museum and to Spaccanopoli area. It is just a short block from the water and a lovely boulevard to walk along. It is a very good value considering the location. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Naples is gritty and certainly not for everyone, but I loved it and I especially loved the most friendly people I have ever encountered in all my travels. I was only there for two days and one night, so I would really love to return some day to spend more time there.