Naples Ferry/Hydrofoil to Sorrento

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2016, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys! Was hoping to get some insight into the ferry from Naples to Sorrento.

We will be arriving to Naples by train from Florence. I know that we can easily take the Circumvesuviana into Sorrento (and that it would be cheaper and less time consuming). However, I was toying with the idea of taking a boat over to Sorrento (our Air BnB guy said he would pick us up at the port, so that helps some) because we are totally water people and this is supposed to be the "relaxing" part of our trip (if that makes sense any!). I just thought it would be so awesome to view Sorrento from the water. However, if someone has had a horrible, never do that again experience with this plan, let me know!

So for the questions...
1. How far is it from the train station to the port by cab? Any estimate on cab costs?
2. We will be there July 1. Will there be lots of hydrofoils to take us over (I assume so)? Does the actually company matter?
3. Any estimate on cost to get to Sorrento by boat? I was working on the assumption of like 10-15 euro pp.

Thanks so much for any help you can give!!!
Old Apr 7th, 2016, 01:55 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Train station to port isn't very far but the port is at the bottom a hill.
We did this last September and there were many choices. We bought our tickets a day ahead to be safe. I think we paid around 18 but fares may be higher in summer.
It is a nice way to travel, scenic and the train is a rather grungy old commuter line. Take the ferry!
Old Apr 7th, 2016, 04:03 PM

We did the same thing about 4 years ago. Tried to get the taxi driver to turn on the meter. He refused and starting pointing to a fare guide he had, claiming the cost from the train station to the ferry terminal was fixed. It is not a long ride.

I just tried to google to get other more recent experiences but found different answers.
Old Apr 7th, 2016, 04:34 PM

How much luggage will you have? Not sure how much room there would be on a hydrofoil. (We took one from Sorrento to Capri and it didn't seem like there was a lot of extra room.
Old Apr 7th, 2016, 05:41 PM

http://www.napoliunplugged.com/naples-taxi-services

http://www.napoliunplugged.com/wp-co..._inglese-2.pdf

Information on Naples fixed taxi fare system. Your fare would be 11 euro.

Services run all day. It is a very popular route. Fare is around 10-15 euro. Sorrento is high on a cliff so you won't see it from the boat but the trip is very nice.
Old Apr 7th, 2016, 06:03 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Be aware of prices of fixed fares in Naples. One driver told us his charge and we said it was supposed to be a lower fixed fare. He said "OK!"
Take the ferry to Sorrento.
Old Apr 11th, 2016, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the help! The info about taxi fares was very helpful!