Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Naples Centrale from Frecciarossa to Metropolitano train - not CV (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/naples-centrale-from-frecciarossa-to-metropolitano-train-not-cv-1107336/)

Kay2 May 14th, 2016 04:15 PM

Naples Centrale from Frecciarossa to Metropolitano train - not CV

We are taking the Frecciarossa from Rome down to Naples and I want to take the train to Pompei town to access the Ampitheater entrance to the ruins instead of the main entrance.

My question is that for the train,Trenitalia.com says 5 minute Urbano from Centrale to P.za Garibaldi and then a Metropolitano train from NPG to Pompei.
I read somewhere that the Metropolitano trains are one level down like a mezanine half way down to the Circumvesuviana level. I read somewhere else that they arrive at platforms 2-3, which appear at the end of the only map I could find of the ground level of Centrale.
I read somewhere else that the Urbano in this context means use an FS train (or others said a Metro) to move from one train station to another in a city like Rome with multiple stations.

My guess is that there is no reason (maybe not possible) to use a train or Metro from Centrale to the Metropolitano train in P.za Garibaldi. I am also familiar with train stations where a few tracks for regional trains are set back from the main terminal or separated somehow , but I would like to know where to go once off the train from Rome. I don't like wandering around Centrale and missing the connection.

I think we will buy the tickets form Naples-Pompei before leaving Rome so one less thing to do in Centrale when making the connection.

Anyone use a metropolitana from Centrale? (I know our alternative is the Circumvesuviana toward Poggiomario with stop at Pompei Santuario, but the metropolitana train connection is better.)

Seamus May 14th, 2016 09:54 PM

Connecting at Napoli Centrale to the CV is simple, just involves a little walking. No need to hassle with multiple transfers.
On arrival at Centrale just follow the signs to the Circumvesuviana. On the way there are several places to grab a drink and/or snack. Buy your ticket for the CV at the window just before the stairs to the platform. Not sure you can buy them in advance, really not necessary. The CV is more like a subway than a train, runs quite frequently. Could not be easier.

Blueeyedcod May 15th, 2016 12:23 AM

Seamus - the OP is asking about the Trenitalia line to Pompei (not the CV line).

Here is the timetable for the line you require. It still leaves from the Garibaldi basement station.

http://www.eavsrl.it/web/sites/defau...ggiomarino.pdf

Note - This Pompei stop will get you to the amphitheatre entrance and it's about an 800 metre walk.

Blueeyedcod May 15th, 2016 12:24 AM

Just wondering why you want the amphitheatre entrance? They lack the services of the main entrance (no audio guides available, for example).

kybourbon May 15th, 2016 03:27 AM

>>>I think we will buy the tickets form Naples-Pompei <<<

The line you are asking about is not the line linked by Blueeyecod. The line linked above is for the EAV trains and here is a map of those lines (green one is what was linked above).

http://www.sitabus.it/wp-content/upl...viana_maps.png

EAV trains depart the lower level in Naples train station and those tickets can't be bought online or on Trenitalia.

The train called metropolitano runs along the same lines as Trenitalia and uses some of the same stations. The EAV trains use different stations. For example, EAV trains stop at Torre Annunziata Oplonti station. The train being designated as metro and Trenitalia train do not. They stop at Torre Annunziata Centrale. The Pompei stop for metro/Trenitalia is further from the amphitheater entrance than the EAV train that is linked above (yes, I've walked it).

>>>>>My guess is that there is no reason (maybe not possible) to use a train or Metro from Centrale to the Metropolitano train in P.za Garibaldi.<<<<<

The metro train does depart down a level (not with the EAV though) from a Trenitalia departure/arrival. The level where Trenitalia arrives from Rome is called Napoli Centrale. The lower level of the same station (same building) is called Napoli P. Garibaldi.

I suggest you Google the city of Pompei to see the various station locations (there are other stations in Pompei besides these). Via Sacr dead ends at the Trenitalia/metro Pompei train station. The EAV Napoli/Poggimarino stopping at Pompei station is on Via Anastassio Rossi. The Circumvesuviana Pompeii Scavi station is on Via Villa dei Misteri.

As Blueeyedcod pointed out, there are minimal services at the amphitheater entrance. Is there a reason you want to use that entrance (Pompeii Scavi is the most convenient station for the ruins)?

If you particularly want to use that metro run for some reason, you can buy on Trenitalia by selecting Napoli P.za Garibaldi as the departure station, not Centrale. You can't purchase more than 7 days in advance and the ticket will be pre-validated which has more restrictions than a walk up ticket (which would need to be validated before boarding). 2.60€

Kay2 May 15th, 2016 06:23 AM

Kybourbon, you follow what I am asking.

I want to use the other entrance to reduce crowd at entrance, maybe on train. I have been to the ruins before and still have my guidebook, so I do not need the audiotour or the other offers between the station the main gate. I remember how crowded the main part of the ruins were and how nice it was to rest in a grassy area away the crowds, so I want to start with that impression this time and work my way into the throngs (my husband abhors crowds, so I have to ease him into tourist attractions).
The metropolitano train schedule also fits better (assuming it or the CV runs to schedule).

Here is a sample schedule from Trenitalia Metropolitano 21249

08:51 Napoli P.za Garibaldi 09:28 Pompei
Arrival Departure Station
08:51 Napoli P.za Garibaldi
09:02 09:03 Napoli S. Giovanni-Barra
09:06 09:07 Pietrarsa-S. Giorgio A Cremano
09:10 09:11 Portici-Ercolano
09:14 09:15 Torre Del Greco
09:22 09:23 Torre Annunziata Centrale
09:28 Pompei

I found more information by searching on a train number:
Metropolitano 21249 da Napoli Campi Flegrei a Salerno
Trenitalia Regionale
P.za Garibaldi Bin. 1
Impresa di trasporto TI

So it appears to be a TI train using the train track from Naples to Salerno. Maybe Bin. 1 is track 1?

The part that confused me most, if one asks to go from Rome to Pompei, it offers schedules like this:

07:35 Roma Termini 08:45 Napoli Centrale
08:55 Napoli Centrale 09:00 Napoli P.za Garibaldi 00:05 Urbano
9:05 Napoli P.za Garibaldi 09:47 Pompei Metropolitano 21251

I thought one walked down from Centrale to P.za Garibaldi, not take 5 minutes on an Urbano.

Waldo May 15th, 2016 08:00 AM

You are making a BIG deal out of an extremely simple process. Just follow the signs, and you will be fine.

kybourbon May 15th, 2016 02:45 PM

>>>Maybe Bin. 1 is track 1<<<

Yes, binario is the track.

>>>07:35 Roma Termini 08:45 Napoli Centrale
08:55 Napoli Centrale 09:00 Napoli P.za Garibaldi 00:05 Urbano
9:05 Napoli P.za Garibaldi 09:47 Pompei Metropolitano 21251<<<

There are Trenitalia trains (they will be designated as Regional on their website, not metropolitano) and they would leave from upstairs. I assume the time and listing is to give you time to exit your train on arrival, head to the front of the tracks, down the hallways and then downstairs. It will take at least 5 minutes (likely more) to walk that. I think you are interpreting urbano as transport and perhaps that is wrong. It can simply mean local and if you notice, there is no number associated with it (such as a train or line).

IMO, it's about as far to walk from the Pompeii Scavi train station to the amphitheater entrance (have walked that too) as it is to walk from the Trenitalia station. The station that is closest is the one linked by Blueeyedcod for the EAV train.

The CV is possibly more crowded than the other trains, but depends on time of day, commuters, etc. Plus, last year, they added some fast CV trains between Naples/Sorrento for more € (if you are willing to pay more) that only makes a couple of stops. Just because you get off at Pompeii Scavi doesn't mean you have to enter there.

Kay2 May 15th, 2016 05:34 PM

Thanks for the experienced info.
The times on the train work better than the CV too.

I know the CV will work if we don't find the other train.
I know the signs to the CV were easy to follow. Maybe I will see the signs to the Metropolitano.
My husband moves with a purpose, especially in cities, trains stations, airports, etc. so he doesn't like to wander and wonder.

I just don't want to be like people who find themselves arriving at one city train station and leaving from another without realizing they will have to take the underground to connect. Not the case here.

Blueeyedcod May 15th, 2016 09:56 PM

I would post your question on Trip Advisor's Naples forum. The DE's for Naples (one of whom lives there) will know for sure.