Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Naples - Capri - Sorrento (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/naples-capri-sorrento-196600/)

Chris Apr 9th, 2002 03:05 PM

Naples - Capri - Sorrento

I am considering spending two days in the Naples/Capri/Sorrento area and I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the best city to stay in? I am leaving from Naples to Florence early in the morning on the 3rd day, so I am tempted to stay in Naples for the convenience. However, I have heard good things about Sorrento and Capri as well. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Vincenzo Apr 9th, 2002 10:28 PM

My suggest is Napoli. One of these two hotels: Santa Lucia or Vesuvio, both on the sea front and near Borgo Marinari. <BR>As you like you can have daily trip for Capri and / or Sorrento. Anyhow Naples deserves two days also without visiting other places.<BR>Have a nice trip.

alice Apr 10th, 2002 07:55 AM

I would not recommend staying in Naples, it is one of the larger cities, and for more relaxed atmosphere and views go to either Capri or Sorrento. Getting to either is not easy by train, so do a little research before hand.

John Apr 10th, 2002 08:16 AM

Hi Chris,<BR><BR>Based on your time and travel constraints, I would suggest staying in Naples.<BR><BR>Day one take a day trip to Capri by boat.<BR><BR>Day two take a day trip to Sorrento or possibly Positano by bus or boat.<BR><BR>Have fun.

Taveler Apr 10th, 2002 08:33 AM

I would suggest Sorrento. You can get to both Capri and Naples easily from Naples. The Circumvesuviana train station is right in town and will take right to Naples to take your early train. Its not as hectic as Naples. Naples is worth visiting, but is a city where tourists are vulnerable to non-violent street crime.

Marilyn Apr 10th, 2002 08:39 AM

I think Sorrento would be a good location. It is more scenic than Naples and has good train service. We stayed at the LaTonnarella which is on the bay, but the location is a little out of town. Marilyn

Jessica Apr 10th, 2002 08:41 AM

You must stay in Sorrento!! It is so romantic and picturesque-especially at dusk, and it is also a great launching point for the Amalfi Coast, which is not to be missed at ANY cost.

michele Apr 10th, 2002 08:52 AM

Chris,<BR>Depends on your preferences. I like big cities and what they have to offer. I just spent a good week there and barely scratched the surface. I like Vincenzo's hotel suggestions and would also add the Miramare and the very lovely Parteno B&B...all right on the bay.<BR>M.

Bev Apr 10th, 2002 10:34 AM

I have a reservation at the Hotel Rex in Naples in Sept. Has anyone stayed here? Any comments? It's supposed to be in a good area, Santa Lucia, near the water.

Vincenzo Apr 10th, 2002 12:00 PM

Bev, Hotel Rex is a very good idea. It's in Santa Lucia, without view, altough very nice and not expensive.<BR>Have a nice trip.

GAC Apr 10th, 2002 12:18 PM

I agree with Vincenzo. The Rex is a good bet.

Bev Apr 10th, 2002 02:28 PM

Thanks for the recommendation. Can either of you recommend some good restaurants within walking distance of the Rex? and can I walk to many of the sights from there.

Chris Apr 10th, 2002 02:40 PM

Thanks for all the great input! I decided to go with a Naples hotel primarily because we are leaving for Florence very early in the morning the third day. We didn't want to have to get up so early to get back to Naples. Once again, the input was very helpful.

Vincenzo Apr 10th, 2002 09:53 PM

Bev, before suggests for restaurant good to dine I tell you the restaurant to avoid: "La Cantinella", too much expensive. For one of the best pizza in Naples and also other food I suggest you "Ettore" in Via Santa Lucia, five munutes walking from REX.<BR>Enjoy !