Naples: Bystanders Beat Mugged American Tourist

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a 'heads-up' on where you might stand in these type of situations in Naples.
http://tinyurl.com/nteqy
Regards, Walter
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 08:51 AM

>>><<<The brawl is not unusual in a city that has occasionally seen large groups of residents siding with suspected criminals.<<<>>>

I read this and I wonder why I am not surprised???

I could see this happeneing in other large US cities also, but one has to wonder how much of a factor about his being an American played into this? I'm guessing probably quite a bit.

Probably like adding kerocene to the ol' proverbial bonfire huh?

Sad fact that Americans are hated around the world in these crazy days. Nothing new actually. I remember geting comments back in the Eighties that Ronald Regan was an evil jerk.

My attitude is this while traveling through Europe, I am as polite as anyone could ever be. All of us represent the USA when we travel abroad, but DO NOT confront me in hateful way or else!!!!

Sorry the man was beaten. Maybe the man agitated the crowd also by making comments that were not tasteful also. I dunno.

Old Aug 9th, 2006, 09:11 AM

oops ParadiseLost. Before I posted the same story, I had looked to see if someone else had done so, but I didn't see this post for some reason.

It's very sad. I don't necessarily think that it happened because he was American. I think it could have happened if the guy was German, English, etc. I can't imagine that if the guy were Swedish for instance that the mob would help apprehend the thieves.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 09:18 AM

My guess is that this has nothing to do with the guy being American. As the article says, crime is rampant in Naples and many residents side with criminals. Most likely these "residents" know the thieves and just wanted to help them out.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 09:39 AM

>>><< Most likely these "residents" know the thieves and just wanted to help them out.<<>>>

That could very well be the case also.