Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Naples archeological museum and Herculaneum in one day? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/naples-archeological-museum-and-herculaneum-in-one-day-896104/)

jaydh42 Jun 23rd, 2011 09:29 AM

Naples archeological museum and Herculaneum in one day?

In October, wife and I will be leaving from Salerno about 9:30 AM going to Naples Archeological museum where we would maybe spend 2-3 hours, have lunch and then get to train station to go to Herculaneum where we would think a couple of hours would be fine to take in the "flavor." Is it best to walk the 8 blocks to the site or better to take a bus? We are thinking about the safety factor walking through Ercolano. After this, back to train station and back to Salerno. Also, is there a direct train from Ercolano to Salerno or must we go back to Naples main train station to catch train to Salerno.

All of this seems very doable.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

thursdaysd Jun 23rd, 2011 09:33 AM

Yes, that's doable. I (solo female) walked from the station to the site in Herculaneum and it never occurred to me worry about the safety of doing so...

willit Jun 23rd, 2011 09:38 AM

I would have thought it was quite an easy trip to do as you have plenty of time.

The walk from Ercolano to Herculaneum is fine - I've done it several times, once pushing a wheelchair, and never felt intimidated.

To get back, your quickest route would be at Portici station on the main Naples, Salerno line. This is probably about a kilometre from the ruins, but saves you having to backtrack into Naples before heading to Salerno. Ercolano itself is on the Circumvesuviana rather than the main line.

NanBug Jun 23rd, 2011 10:34 AM

You will love Herculaneum. If you're pressed for time, consider taking a guided tour with a guide. They stand at the ticket kiosk. An old man named Hector (can't remember his last name) took us around for about 2 hours -- fluent in English (as well as several other languages), scholarly and very, very interesting. Well worth the reasonable fee, which paled in comparison to guided tour fees in Pompeii.

The town of Ercolano was very lively when we walked through a few months ago, I don't know why you would feel threatened. It's a regular town with lots of folks out shopping, a market, people sitting in cafes, going to work, etc. No need to worry. The walk to the site is all downhill.

NanBug Jun 23rd, 2011 10:35 AM

Correction to the above -- I should say an "older man" named Hector -- he was certainly not old and probably in his late 60s/early 70s. A real treat if you can get him as your guide.

jaydh42 Jun 23rd, 2011 11:10 AM

Wow! Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions.
Will definitely take note of the short walk to catch the Naples-Salerno line train from this site.

kja Jun 23rd, 2011 01:43 PM

BTW, I think Salerno is underrated. Consider visiting the Duomo (amazing ambos!), seeing the ivories at the Museo Diocesano, roaming the old town, walking the Lungomare at sunset....

adrienne Jun 23rd, 2011 01:49 PM

I didn't know there was a bus in Ercolano. I walked and never expected to have problems and didn't.

Jean Jun 23rd, 2011 05:44 PM

I would get to the archeology museum shortly after it opens at 9:00 am (closed Tuesday) in case you found it as fascinating as we did and need more than 2-3 hours. Your 9:30 departure from Salerno would put you at the museum no sooner than 10:30.

Dayle Jun 23rd, 2011 05:49 PM

jay - Be prepared with plenty of small denomination E notes, as the museums are NOT prepared to take credit cards or give change for the large E notes all the tourists get out of the ATMs. This can limit being able to obtain admission tickets and audio guides, etc.

The Archeological Museum really requires a detailed guidebook or an audioguide. Things are not well labeled and only in Italian. Tourist Italian and archeological terms in Italian are two very different things!

Be sure to see the mezzanine level of the Arch Museum. That was my very favorite - amazing mosaics.
Buon viaggo!

jaydh42 Jun 23rd, 2011 09:07 PM

Thank you all for your replies and added info. Our first full day outing we plan on going from Salerno to Paestum by CSTP bus and where we will purchase the 3 day Tutta La Regione pass good for most transportation in area as well as two free admissions to sites such as Paestum and Naples Archeological museum and after 2 sites , 50% off admission to oteher sites. Have any of you used this type of card? Cost is 27 Euros per person and it seems as though it will certainly pay for itself, for Archeological Museum is 10 Euros, Paestum is 6.5 Euros, Herculaneum is 11 Euros.

Any other thoughts or opinions appreciated.

JH

kja Jun 23rd, 2011 09:33 PM

In addition to roaming around the magnificent temples at Paestum, I thought the museum there was well worth an hour or so - it has some things that I believe are unique and very special.

Consider making time in Paestum or nearby to eat something with the local mozzarella - wow!

It's been a few years since I was there, but at that time, the best way to get to Paestum from Salerno was by train. That could well have changed, but you might check into it.

And if I recall correctly, the benefit of the museum pass at the time that I was there depended on the order in which one visited things. I believe it was as you describe - 2 free admissions and then 1/2 off. If your 1st two admissions are among the more costly ones, it can pay off and is worth considering.

Enjoy!

jaydh42 Jun 24th, 2011 07:51 AM

Thanks KJA for your additional comments. Interesting how at first one knows nothing about a destination and than, after reading and researching and going onto sites like FODORS , a wealth of knowledge starts to build. Sounds like you have traveled quite a bit and enjoy sharing info that you have gleaned over time. Thanks! Because that 3 day pass is good for almost all train and bus lines in that Naples -Amalfi area, I'm pretty certain that the 27 Euro pass will more than pay for itself.

NanBug Jun 24th, 2011 08:08 AM

Paestum will knock your socks off. Don't miss the tomb paintings in the little museum there, too.

We used the 3-day regional ArteCard for our train trip to Paestum from Naples. We spent the 3 days (with the card) visiting sites in this order: 1. Pompeii 2. Herculaneum 3. Paestum. Love it all.

kybourbon Jun 24th, 2011 08:14 AM

Paestum is one of the cheaper sites (6€)as is the Naples Archeological museum (6.50€) and the pass will deduct that as your free visits if you go to them first. It deducts the first two places. The more expensive sites are Pompeii (11€), Herculaneum (11€), the Royal Palace at Caserta (12€).

jaydh42 Jun 24th, 2011 01:25 PM

Thanks NanBug and Kybourbon. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I have found the fee for Naples Archeological Museum was 6.5E but it has now gone up top 10 Euros to enter.

JH

kybourbon Jun 24th, 2011 02:14 PM

Perhaps if there is an exhibition. Many times museums will have a temporary exhibition and there will be an additional entrance fee of about 4€, but the Campania Arte Card website still lists the entrance as 6.50€. The Uffizi and Academia in Florence are 6.50€, but in summer almost always have an exhibition with an extra fee making admission around 10€. Here's the link on the artecard for the museum.
http://www.artecard.it/site.cfm?id=3

If you scroll down, you can click each site and it will give the price, hours and transport you need to take to reach the site.
http://www.artecard.it/

The museums own website says to book with Pierreci (they are the official booking for much of the sites in Rome and Naples). Sorry, it's only in Italian.
http://museoarcheologiconazionale.ca...ervizi/servizi

When you look at Pierreci, they note that the Egyptian collection is temporarily closed and mentions an exhibition surcharge of 3.50€. Scroll down on the info for the prices, etc.
http://www.pierreci.it/en/museums-an...di-napoli.aspx

Jean Jun 24th, 2011 03:02 PM

Both Frommers and Fodors indicate the entry fee is still 6.50 euros (10 euros for special exhibits) plus 4 euros for an audioguide. I can't find an 'official' website that provides any info on the fee/s.

Jean Jun 24th, 2011 03:03 PM

Good job, kyb.

kybourbon Jun 24th, 2011 04:03 PM

>>plus 4 euros for an audioguide.<<
Only 2.50€ with the Artecard.