Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Naples and the Amalfi Coast: Tough Choices

Jul 4th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

My wife and I will be arriving in Sorrento on the afternoon of October 2. I then have three full days in the area until I head to Rome on October 6. We know FOR SURE that we want to spend a full day in Capri.

But I'm not sure how to structure the remainder of our time there, which amounts to the first afternoon/evening we arrive and two other full days.

We have interest in seeing Naples, Positano, Sorrento, Mt Vesuvius, Pompeii and Herculaneum. However, it seems there is not enough time without making it too chaotic.

I was thinking we could explore Sorrento on our first afternoon/evening in the area, visit Capri and Naples for a full day each and split the third day between Positano, Vesuvius and Herculaneum (skipping Pompei).

Perhaps hopping on the ferry from Sorrento to Positano in the morning and heading to Vesuvius/Herculaneum. OR heading to Vesuvius/Herculaneum first and ending the day Positano and taking the boat to Sorrento.

Any recommendations would be very appreciated.
Jul 4th, 2012, 01:16 PM
AMV

Since it's on the way, you might wish to save seeing Pompei or Herculaneum for the day you are headed to Rome. Not sure if you want to hike Mt. Vesuvius or just see it. It is visible for miles around the area so you might not need to dedicate separate time to "viewing" it. IMHO Positano is better seen from a boat than from land. You might consider taking a ferry one day from Sorrento down to Amalfi. Go up to enjoy Ravello and then ferry back from Amalfi to Sorrento. You would see Positano from the water that way.
Jul 4th, 2012, 03:11 PM

Amen!
Why go that far and not see the best of the AC. Take a boat trip along the coast and spend time in Positano, Amalfi, and Ravello---that is the reason to go to the AC.

This may convince you:
http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=4481
Jul 4th, 2012, 03:58 PM
kja

I'm not sure how frequent or reliable the ferry services are in October. I believe its a transitional interval, with services tapering off and weather creating more difficulties toward the end of the month - but I'm no expert on the area. Even though your visit will be early in the month, it might be good to be sure you have a back-up plan, just in case....

> split the third day between Positano, Vesuvius and Herculaneum (skipping Pompei).

Like AMV and bobthenavigator, I'm not sure this idea makes much sense. Even if it is technically possible (I haven't checked), I think you would end up short-changing yourself on each experience if you try to fit them all into one day. And I say that as a traveller who PACKS each day.

One option might be to visit Herculaneum on your way to Sorrento. Whether that is feasible may depend on how you are traveling - I don't remember a luggage storage facility in Ercolano; maybe others know.

Any chance of adding a day to the area?

You are facing some very difficult choices, but you'll see some amazing places.
Jul 4th, 2012, 04:17 PM

We're recently back from a trip to Rome and Sorrento. I posted a very verbose trip report. Sorrento starts on Part 6.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...t-to-italy.cfm

I don't think you should try for a Herculaneum/Vesuvius/Positano day, as Herculaneum and Vesuvius are inland and north of Sorrento by train, while Positano is an excursion south, either by sea or bus. Not logistically compatible for a single day, in my view.

I did not do Positano or Vesuvius, but did visit Capri for a day, Naples for a day, and Herculaneum and Pompeii in the same day. You could substitute an excursion to Vesuvius for Pompeii and have a decent day. Or, do a coastal visit and skip Herculaneum and Vesuvius, but I suspect this would really resemble the Capri day (water, knockout scenery, upscale town).
Jul 4th, 2012, 05:57 PM

I would not miss Pompeii - which IMHO is more interesting than any of the other places. And agree that you need to check ferry schedules as well as the weather. Even in season the ferries from Capri stop running in late afternoon so you need to get there early to see much - and be sure the weather forecast is good - so they could cancel the ferries later in the day.

That time of year the coast road should be fairly empty - so you might start early, head south to visit Amalfi and Positano - then head back over the hills to see Pompeii. But do check the opening hours for the dates you will be there.