Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Naples and Amalfi Coast with elderly travelers (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/naples-and-amalfi-coast-with-elderly-travelers-960542/)

ncbonvivant Dec 27th, 2012 12:26 PM

Naples and Amalfi Coast with elderly travelers

I am traveling to Naples in March with my 80 and 85 year old parents and would like some suggestions on what areas of the Amalfi Coast and Capri would be accessible to them - they have difficulty with stairs and walking long distances. I would like to take a ferry over to Capri but understand they might be unable to get into town due to the lack of cars and other transportation. Any hotels, sights, and restaurants also appreciated. Should we use Naples as a base? Should we hire a car for the AC or take public transportation?

Thanks much, Cathy

goldenautumn Dec 27th, 2012 12:52 PM

First of all, you need to know that the entire coastal area in March is a bit of an "iffy" proposition weather wise. If you spend 5 days or more in the area, you stand a very good chance of enjoying some fine days with crystal clear views. Otherwise, it is like trying to thread a needle -- you can end up with rain and fog that obliterates views, or even storms with wind, and you certainly don't want to submit your parents (or yourself) to rocky and unpleasant boat rides to Capri in windy or rainy weather.

In general, your parents might be happier with the less hectic and more visitor friendly Sorrento. If you arrive at Naples airport, you can take a bus to Sorrento, but if you can afford a private car transfer, all the better. From Sorrento, you can all take a ferry to Capri -- but again, not much fun unless the weather is sunny and not chily-windy, and the seas are calm.

I have never done this, but I would think you can get a taxi to meet you at the dock in Capri and you can take a taxi tour of the islands -- whoppingly expensive, I would bet. Otherwise, I worry you will be taxing your parents to get them on and off shuttle buses and funiculars. Most of Capri is vertical. But maybe other people have solutions to offer.

If your parents aren't subject to motion sickness on buses, there are regular buses from Sorrento that travel the famed Amalfi drive, with breathtaking views. The buses terminate in the town of Amalfi, which is mostly flat. If your parents can handle the twisty roads and the full day, a lunch excursion to Amalfi -- by bus or expensive private driver -- is a possibility.

I have traveled with 80 year olds in Italy and they have been troopers, but in my experience the after 8-pm dinner hour and the overabundance of filling foods in restaurants makes booking an apartment with a kitchen a real plus. Another thing to watch out for is extreme nervousness many older people feel about Italy's very poor (or non-existent) sidewalks. Once they discover how many broken stones and surfaces are underfoot, they want to move very slowly, even if they are not climbing stairs.

In lieu of spending money on taxis and ferry tickets, many older people appreciate a very beautiful apartment or hotel with a fabulous view, with very small forays into the local scene. And if they have any ancestral connection to Italy, many older people would rather go to the little obscure town of their grandparents than see the wonders of Capri.

Hope it works out for your family!

nytraveler Dec 27th, 2012 02:21 PM

Most of the AC is vertical and not good for the elderly even if they are in graat shape fr their age. And the time you are going is quite early in the season - possibly bad for weather but better fr fewer tourists.

If it were me I would rent a car and drive the area - so you can see what you want without stresing out your parents with pubic transit they may not enjoy or very expensive cabs/drivers for a whole day when they decide they want to nap after lunch.

Agree that Sorrento is a better place to stay - since the center is fairly flat and walkable. Check out the Excelsior Grand Vittoria, which has a lovely, terrce, beautiful gardens, but is right on the main town square. Also a private elevator to take you down inside the cliff to the dock to get a boar for Capri.

On Capri I would get a taxi to drive your parents around - anything else will be to much for them. Do not try to do the Blue Grotto (although if you get good weather you could circe the island on a launch) - since they won't be able to get in and out of the rowboat necessary for entry to the Grotto.

ncbonvivant Dec 27th, 2012 05:24 PM

Thanks to both of you for your comments. Much appreciated!

kybourbon Dec 27th, 2012 08:16 PM

I've been to Amalfi and Capri in March before and the weather was quite nice. Short sleeves during the day and jackets at night. I also visited the Blue Grotto at that time of year.

I would stay either in Amalfi or Sorrento as both are flatter than the other towns.

For Capri, from the port you can take the funicular up or get a bus or taxi. Buses are frequent, but you can also negotiate with a taxi driver to take you around. Regular taxi fares are listed on most of the Capri websites so you can get an idea of how much to negotiate for a tour.