Naples & Amalfi Coast

Apr 29th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Naples & Amalfi Coast

Driving from Venice to Naples on Aug 1 with two boisterous boys (7 & 3). Any suggestions on a nice safe neighbourhoud/hotel. Any suggested itenaries. Leaving for Rome on Aug 4.

Thanks in advance
Apr 29th, 2011, 03:45 PM

I hope you are joking!
Apr 29th, 2011, 04:21 PM

Naples is definitely not where you want to stay with 2 little kids in august. You should go for one of the smaller seaside towns - not a steamy city with few sights/activities for little ones. (Don;t get me wrong - I love the archeological museum - but they certainly won't).

Much better to be someplace with a beach of sorts, boat rides and a very safe small town with countryside nearby.
Apr 29th, 2011, 10:04 PM

Unless you've absolutely no choice, driving some 350 miles may not be the best way of using the little time you've got - that's one of your three or four days gone!

Any chance of flying down?

You'll find a listing of hotels by area, and lots of other Naples information, in the 'Qui Napoli' magazine from the tourism people. Mostly it's in bilingual English/Italian - and a PDF version is available by clicking on the word "download" here....
http://www.inaples.it/eng/quinapoli.htm

No winter editions, but hopefully they'll be back with one for May?

For an idea of things to see and do in the city, you might also try...
http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/mainlynaples

If you have to stay in Naples, the Mergellina/Chiaia area might be a good place to look first - its waterfront position should be somewhat more comfortable in the summer heat than anywhere in the historic centre!

Peter
Apr 30th, 2011, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - Haven't thought about the distance as I'm used to American highways!

No choice but to drive the car with me as I am touring Europe with it.

I have three nights between Venice and Rome (and than Milan). I have done Florence, Siena, etc. twice beofre. What would be a better use of time?
Apr 30th, 2011, 07:32 AM

I would stay north in August. Look at the Dolomites[ Val Gardena] or Lake Garda. But, it is all crowded in August.
Apr 30th, 2011, 07:34 AM

So you're willing to drop Naples entirely? Good idea.

You could just set yourselves down in one town for 2.5 days. Maybe a beach town like Casenatico (daytrip to Ravenna). Or a small Umbrian town like Bavagna. Or find an agriturismo with a pool.

The consensus here is that kids like to stop in one spot and get acquainted. Make friends at the gelato shop, the bakery. The small scale life experience is more memorable to them than hitting all the guidebook highlights.
Apr 30th, 2011, 08:37 AM

Otherwise, just a little way south of Rome, there's Sperlonga - but like anywhere pleasant you should expect it to be busy!

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/slides_sperlonga

Some interesting places nearby...
http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/lazio_more

Peter