Naples & Amalfi coast?

Search

Naples & Amalfi coast?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Naples & Amalfi coast?

My husband and I are planning our 1st trip to italy and we are trying to use our Marriott rewards pts for the Hotel, which we have plenty to do so. But I must ask you kind folks if this is a good idea. I booked the Renaissance Naples Hotel Mediterraneo (but can cancel w/o penalty) for 7 nights in April and was "thinking" would could easily do day trips to areas along the Amalfi coast...is this possible? If so, what areas can you recommend we visit? And is it possible to take a bus to stops along the coast? Please advise. Thanks
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 10:20 AM

IMHO - not a good idea.

While you can certainly spend a little while in Naples - you would be spending many hours trekking out to the Amalfi coast - by train and/or bus and/or ferry (dependng on schedules and weather). Based on mileage the areas all seem close together - but many roads are narrow - and you miss the benfits of stayng in - and dining in - the cutest towns - versus a not that pleasant city.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 10:30 AM

What about "JW Marriott Capri Tiberio Palace Resort & Spa" on Capri? That looks amazing, and will be much much more pleasant than Naples.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 10:41 AM

Wow, that's a Category 7 for Marriott Rewards Points - highest in the chart. But for 7 nights, it's only about 30% more than the Category 5 Renassiance (150K vs 115K).
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 10:42 AM

I agree - don't spend all your nites in Naples - it is chaotic and not very clean - maybe a nite or two - then move on to either Capri which is lovely! or somewhere else on the Amalfi coast. Pompei would be easy to visit from Naples and there is a good museum there but I don't think you'll experience the beauty of Italy in that city.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 05:17 AM

Deborah - We are planning to use Marriott points also at the Mediterraneo for 4 nights in late May. I wanted to split it up with 2 nights at the JW in Capri, but reward nights were not available for any of the 4 days scheduled for Naples. If you do stay at the Mediteranneo, please post your opinion of the hotel when you get back.