Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

NAPLES-AMALFI-POSITANO-ROME-RAVELLO etc--prices for private car services

Old Dec 28th, 2010, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since this subject comes up frequently, I thought this list would be helpful as it gives the approximate prices that one should expect to pay for car services to and from Rome and Naples to the Amalfi Coast/Sorrento area and for daytrips within the area.

I have not used this service myself, although I have used other private drivers. These prices are just an example of what you can expect to pay, give or take some euro.

You should probably check around if you want to be sure of getting the best prices..expect some seasonal variations.

http://www.amalfi-drive.com/fares.html
Old Dec 28th, 2010, 04:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
ek; That is a good list. We paid 130euro for a 4am pick-up three years ago for four people to the Naples airport. It was a taxi and this is the company. [email protected] A little bottle of Limoncello was given to us and realizing we could not get the bottle on the plane, there we were drinking at 7am. Richard
Old Dec 28th, 2010, 08:33 AM

Thanks - that's a very handy thing to know exists!

Peter
Old Dec 28th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

People are always asking about the prices for various car hires and transfers, as well as for day trips along the AmalfiCoast, and I've not found any other services that spell out all the prices like this one....
Old Dec 28th, 2010, 01:46 PM
GAC

This is a terrific resource document to have available for consultation. It's also amazing to compare the cost of the private transfer, for example, from Rome to Amalfi (430 Euros) against the cost of public transportation, which can be as low as:

(A) 23.50 Euros for the IC train from Roma Termini to Salerno, plus 3.60 Euros for the SITA bus to Amalfi (plus 8 Euros for the airport bus, or 14 Euros for the airport train, between Roma FCO airport and Roma Termini station);

(B) 20.50 Euros for the Marozzi bus from Roma Tiburtina station direct to Amalfi during the summer months; or

(C) 15 Euros for the Buonocore-Group airport bus from FCO airport (or 13 Euros from the Roma Anagnina metro station) to Salerno, plus 3.60 Euros for the SITA bus to Amalfi.

Without question the huge convenience and comfort of a private transfer, at any hour of the day or night, comes at an extremely high cost.
Old Dec 28th, 2010, 03:10 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>We paid 130euro for a 4am pick-up three years ago for four people to the Naples airport<<<<

Taxis are set fees (130€ to Amalfi, 120€ to Positano). The City of Naples lists all the rates Naples and the coastal area. Click on visualizza le tariffe. Page 2 is English.

http://www.comune.napoli.it/flex/cm/.../IDPagina/1193
Old Dec 28th, 2010, 03:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Agree, that's about what Ek's chart said for four people reading between the lines. His info seemed right on.
Old Dec 28th, 2010, 09:27 PM

Worth remembering perhaps that individual comunes here issue taxi licences and set the fare rates and - in just a few cases - also agree lists of fixed fares for particular journeys (with Naples being the only one locally of which I'm aware that still does so!).

Taxis from one comune can't ply for hire in another (although exceptionally - for instance at Rome's airports - those of adjacent comunes are allowed to use specific taxi ranks), and there's likely to be a big difference between what you'd pay from Capodichino to an AC resort in a Naples taxi, and what a local one might charge for a subsequent trip back!

Firms such as this one, offering private chauffeur-driven cars and transfer services, are regulated separately - with one big difference being that their vehicles can't cruise around for business, and must instead be pre-booked. They can charge whatever the market will bear, so any similarities between their price lists and those of licensed taxis are more a reflection of competition at work than of regulation!

That said, is there anything stranger than the ways in which other people choose to spend their time - and money?

Peter
Old Dec 29th, 2010, 12:42 AM

The differences in what people pay is a natural consequence of market driven economy where the service providers have no incentive to provide the whole picture to the service seekers.

When I visited the area this spring, I also had the very same question. After reading many posts, I realized that the this was a market where on-the-spot negotiation can yield significantly lower cost than the pre-arranged deals - but given right time of the year and the right day of the week. I researched seasonal visitor statistics as well as cruise port schedules to find out when I would have leverage in getting the price I wanted. The lists given by eks and kybourbon are useful for both for those who want to make pre-arranged deals as well as take a chance in getting on-the-spot deals.
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 11:25 AM
lmz

Bookmarking
Old Feb 9th, 2011, 03:36 AM
Original Poster

topping for recent posters asking about prices
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

tttt
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 10:58 AM

Thank you ekscrunchy,this is exactly what I was looking for. My hotel in positano quoted me 160 euro so this looks like it will save us some dollars!
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 11:55 AM
ekc

Thanks eks - I will need to get from Amalfi back to Positano after midnight after Amalfi's festival day later this month, so will definitely need to pre-book. Thanks for the info.
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 04:53 PM

I'm trying to plot out a trip to the AC. I would either fly into NAP or FCO.

So either a train from Roma Termini to Salerno or find a way from NAP.

The idea would be a 7-10 day trip in the area, starting in the AC, then a couple of days in Sorrento to get to Pompeii and Herculaneum and then a couple of nights in Capri and then to Rome before flying back.

Seems like distance-wise, a short drive from NAP to the AC. I know the area is known for crazy traffic and parking has to be a hassle (this would be next May-June).

Seems like hiring a driver for the main transfers (basically a couple of hours total time) would be almost as much as renting a car yourself.

Of course there are headaches with the car besides the traffic and parking.

As far as excursions, do the drivers charge a flat negotiated fee or if it takes too long due to traffic, they add surcharges?
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 03:04 AM
Original Poster

Private drivers charge a flat fee.
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 06:41 AM

"(A) 23.50 Euros for the IC train from Roma Termini to Salerno, plus 3.60 Euros for the SITA bus to Amalfi (plus 8 Euros for the airport bus, or 14 Euros for the airport train, between Roma FCO airport and Roma Termini station);

(B) 20.50 Euros for the Marozzi bus from Roma Tiburtina station direct to Amalfi during the summer months; or

(C) 15 Euros for the Buonocore-Group airport bus from FCO airport (or 13 Euros from the Roma Anagnina metro station) to Salerno, plus 3.60 Euros for the SITA bus to Amalfi."

What are the travel times for these options? Is the train faster than the long-distance buses, once you get to the train station?

Are one of these better for carrying luggage after an international flight?

Web sites with schedules?
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 07:40 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
"(B) - You have to take on 8€ for the train from FCO to Tiburtina

C - Might not be running every day in May. Don't know why you would mention the stop at the metro as it's jut part of the route after it leaves FCO. This is only once per day in the afternoon so might not work well depending on when your flight arrives (most from US are early morning around 7).

The local FR1 train from FCO to Tiburtina runs every 15 minutes and travel time will be about 40 minutes.

The Leonardo Express from FCO to Termini runs every 30 minutes and travel time is 30 minutes.

Buses are slower and in May Marozzi may only have an early morning departure (7am). Luggage is easier as it's stored underneath. They make a pit stop on the autostrada usually at Autogrill where you can grab a snack/drink.

IC trains have no amenities. AV fast trains have snack and restaurant cars.

It's too far off for any schedules prices to be accurate.