Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Naples, Amalfi Coast (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/naples-amalfi-coast-970929/)

jucarocr Mar 18th, 2013 06:15 AM

Naples, Amalfi Coast

We are planning to spend 1 week in the Naples and Amalfi Coast area (at the end of March)and I have being reviewing the information posted in the forum which has being extremely valuable. However after going through it I have several questions that hopefully you can help me to clarify. Our initial plan was to spend 3 nights in Naples (too much ?), others has suggested to instead stay in Sorrento...? Another day doing the Pompeii/Vesuvious tour and last 3 nights driving? across the Amalfi Coast (do you recommended or which will be a better way to explore the area?). Given the short amount of time which towns do you recommend to visit (besides Possitano). I'm just afraid that we won't have enough time (more like a fact) so not sure whether we should reduce our time in Naples. Any suggestions will be really appreciated...Tx in advance.

Whit825 Mar 18th, 2013 06:56 AM

My husband and I spent 2 nights in Sorrento and 3 nights in Ravello, and that worked well for us. We did Pompeii as a day trip from Sorrento, which was about a 45 minute train ride each way. Pompeii is, loosely estimating, about halfway between the center of Naples and Sorrento, so you can do it as a day trip from either place.

As a full disclaimer, we did not do any sightseeing in Naples, and based on the view from the train station and the small train from Naples to Sorrento, we were ok with that. Not that there isn't anything worthwhile in Naples -- it's just that it is a crowded (and, in some places, very impoverished) ciy, whereas Sorrento/Amalfi Coast are heaven on earth. And when you have limited time, you have to prioritize. If there are historical sights you really want to see in Naples, then go for it, but if you want to relax and experience paradise, I would reduce or eliminate Naples and concentrate on the other destinations. It really just depends on your interests and goal for the trip.

As for the best destinations for you, that really depends on your situation. Ravello was perfect for us, since we were on our honeymoon, but it is a very sleeply litte town at night with virtually no night life. It's so charming and lovely, but if you have kids, there might not be enough evening activity. Positano is definitely mor lively at night, as is Sorrento. Sorrento is bigger than any of the towns on the Amalfi Coast, but it is still very charming with a compact walkable city center. Also, the car ride from Sorrento to the Amalfi Coast is breathaking and an event in and of itself.

I dont' think you will need to spend 3 full nights driving across the Amalfi coast. We spent one evening exploring Positano, which was very do-able from Ravello. We just took a public bus from Ravello to Amalfi, then a ferry from Amalfi to Positano, then we took a car service back to Ravello. But you could easily stay in one town and then make the other towns a day trip.

Capri is another day trip you might want to think about. We didn't have time to go, but a lot of people love it.

Southern Italy is truly magical. You are going to have a great time!

Rubicund Mar 18th, 2013 06:57 AM

Three nights in Naples would be too much for me even though I like the museums etc. Two would do it. However, it's still very early for the AC even though Easter itself is early and the weather will be very uncertain.

The |Pompeii/Vesuvius tour is OK for a day, although you could spend most of that day in Pompeii. Again, it depends on the weather.

The roads along the AC will be quiet and you have no trouble in getting about and parking. A lot of places will still be closed although you should find a hotel in Sorrento fairly easily.

yorkshire Mar 18th, 2013 07:06 AM

Try working backward. If you are flying out of Naples, you will likely want to spend at the very least your last night there (that is what I am doing). Then, write down what you want to see in Naples and add accordingly.
I will visit Pompeii from the AC, but I admit it is going to be a long day--a sacrifice I had to make because I want to stay in a small town on the coast. While I think there is a lot to see in Naples, I live in a city and want to get away from the world.
Next, pick the places that appeals to you the most for the rest of the week. I think you have time for 2 if you only stay one night in Naples (3-3-1) and if you don't want to stay in one place the entire time, either two places on the AC or one island and the AC.

yestravel Mar 18th, 2013 07:13 AM

Loved Naples and would not find 3 nights too many there. Its a great, vibrant city. Check out our TR which starts in Naples
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...a-short-tr.cfm
We were on the Amalfi coast in April awhile back and it was very chilly. We had to ask our hotel in Ravello to turn up the heat. Ravello is enchanting and its well worth a day's visit.

kja Mar 18th, 2013 07:15 PM

It really depends on what you want to see and experience. As you've already realized, you do not have enough time to see everything in the area, so you'll have to decide what your highest priorities are.

> 3 nights in Naples (too much ?)

I loved Naples and could easily see spending 4 or 5 or even more nights there. It a gritty, dynamic, energetic city that not everyone enjoys. As yorkshire points out, if you're flying out of Naples, you'll probably want to put your time there at the END of your time in the area.

> Another day doing the Pompeii/Vesuvious tour

Many people visit Pompeii and Vesuvius on a single day. Others find Pompeii a full-day experience. It will depend, in part, one whether you are visiting from Naples or on the way from Naples to somewhere on the Amalfi coast.

> Given the short amount of time which towns do you recommend to visit (besides Possitano).

Once you know how much time you want to spend in Naples, you can decide how much time to spend in other towns along the coast. Pay particular attention to your transportation options, which I suspect will be more limited in late March than during the summer season.

Enjoy!