Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Naple Central Train Station area - is it THAT bad!

Feb 11th, 2004, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

We have booked a hotel which is situated near the Central Station. From what I've read the area is a tad seedy, is that the only reason we should not stay there?
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:29 AM
ira

Hi K,

Can you be more specific about the hotel and its location?
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:40 AM

I've stayed in hotels on the Piazza Garibaldi several times. The area is slightly seedy, especially after dark, but it's always busy, it's handy for trains and buses, within walking distance of the Molo Beverello for boats to Capri and Ischia, and there are lots of restaurants and pizzerie.
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:43 AM

It is a very sketchy area, though I found the environment in and around the Florence train station more unsettling for some reason. A cousin of mine stayed in a hotel near the Naples station a couple of years ago and he found it unpleasant and a bit scary (and this is a young guy who was backpacking across Europe by himself).
Feb 11th, 2004, 06:25 AM
GAC

The primary advantage of staying in the Piazza Garibaldi area is to have handy access to trains, metros and buses. The primary disadvantage is if you want to experience some night life, as it's not fun roaming around after dark.
Feb 11th, 2004, 03:11 PM

I'm not sure I would recommend wandering around Piazza Garibaldi at night, but during the day it is as safe as most parts of Naples. There was a time when it was more than a tad seedy, but it has been considerably cleaned up since. I stayed in a four-star hotel overlooking Piazza Garibaldi and never felt a moment's unease during the day. But if your hotel is on one of the smaller and still somewhat seedy side streets around the station, you might wish to reconsider.
Feb 11th, 2004, 10:45 PM

Interesting. Would you folks please define what you mean by seedy?

We were thinking of staying the night in that area too, would we be "stepping over drunks" seedy or "dangerous" seedy?

Thanks from me too.
Feb 12th, 2004, 12:36 AM

You don't see drunks in Italy - or, at least, they're so rare I can't remember seeing one. Late at night, prostitutes lurk around the Piazza Garibaldi, but just ignore them or say "no". Otherwise, keep your valuables secure and take the usual precautions if accosted by anyone. A bigger problem recently is the construction work for the new metro lines which means that part of the Piazza Garibaldi is a building site; this causes extra noise and disruption to traffic.
Feb 12th, 2004, 12:43 AM

To take your heading and reply directly, yes it is that bad! I got my wallet stolen de-boarding bus # 200 in front of Napoli's Centrale station (right in front of the Garibaldi statue!) in broad daylight (12 noon). I consider myself a savvy traveler; but learned an very important lesson in Napoli -- always expect the Neopolitans to be one up on you! Apparently, the woman I thought was kindly "offering" me directions (sitting directly behind me) ending up stealing my wallet from under a towel, underneath my daughter's stroller (she was sitting in it too!)-all this while we were exiting down the bus steps! Incredible! And there were 2 cohorts too as this turned out to be a regular scam scene done at the train station area (acccording to some locals). I talked to carabanieri and polizia later and they said they knew the red-haired woman as a stranieri (foreigner) and that they are trying to nab her, but she is an elusive one. My only advice is to really, really watch your belongings (more so than you would in any other European city) and the actions of others around you. I felt that one can never let your guard down totally in Napoli. Despite that unfortunate incident, I still would return to Napoli as I have many friends there (in Vomero district), so it has not tainted my opinions of them, but rather made me more conscious of being extra, extra careful. The hotel proprietors suggested it is best to carry money/docs in a small pouch that can be strapped around/under one's leg in the thigh area. The woman showed me hers and that was certainly the first time I had ever thought of the thigh as a possible location for money hiding! (Certainly not the traditional fanny pack at the waist!)

Pollyesther, Piazza Garibaldi is bustling, crowded and noisey during the day, however, I did not see beggars or homeless people on the streets, so no, you would not be "stepping over drunks". As the other posters have indicated, it is close to the ports and boats. Alternatively, you could stay in Piazza Municipo which is right across from the ports (Molo Beverello) with banks and small cafes around, all facing the old castle.