Reload this Page >

Nantes? Lyon? Where to stay and see?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 1997, 04:57 PM
abbie

Traveling all over France this summer and would like some suggestions for the areas around the cities of Nantes and Lyon. We have about 4 days to spend in the areas around these cities. Thanks for any suggestions you may have!!!

Old Dec 18th, 1997, 12:46 AM
joelle

Should you go to Nantes in summer, you will have to visit the neighbouring seaside (La Baule, Le Croisic, Vendée, Noirmoutier). In Nantes itself, the castle is interesting, the cathedral and some nice museums. You will also find old 18th mansions on the Feydeau island (when Nantes was rich because of slavery traffic...).
In Lyon, you'll have to walk in the St Jean area (renaissance area), visit the Fourviere and St Jean churches, the roman ruins at Fourviere. In terms of hotels, I can give you addresses as I know both towns pretty well, but you have to tell me if you want a modern or older hotel, what type of budget.
Just e-mail me with details.

Old Dec 18th, 1997, 04:29 AM
Fran

A wonderful small hotel in Lyon....Hotel des Artistes
Place des Celestins
Tel (33) 78 42 04 88
Fax (33) 78 42 93 76

Old Dec 18th, 1997, 05:59 AM
Karen

Lyon: WHAT A DEAL in a great city! Found a promotion through Greater Lyon Office du Tourisme called, "Bon Weekend a Lyon" - over 40 hotels offered two nights for the price of one on Friday and Saturday nights (when the business travelers clear out). We stayed at the 4-star "Hotel Royale" right on Place Bellecour - our quiet room on the top floor, with balcony overlooking the Place and views off to the basilica on the hill, was terrific. All for what ended up costing less than $60 per night! Staff could not have been more helpful. The promotion also offered 2-for-1 rates on guided tours, boat tours, etc. Webpage: www.mairie-lyon.fr

Old Dec 19th, 1997, 04:54 PM
Abbie

Thanks for your offer. In terms of accomodations, we're looking at spending $60-$90 (U.S.) per night. A new or older hotel makes no difference, as long as its clean and has a private bath. Are there any other towns nearby in which you would recommend staying?
Thanks again.

Old Aug 10th, 2003, 05:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
topping for indy
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another thumbs up for the Hotel des Artistes in Lyon. Great location, good value for the money, attractive, etc.