Nancy/Strasbourg or Toulouse/Albi??

Old Aug 10th, 2017, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nancy/Strasbourg or Toulouse/Albi??

We'll be spending 22 nights in France next May/June--flying into Paris and out of Marseille. I'm going back on forth on what to do the first week. I'm planning 4 nights in Paris (we've been to Paris multiple times) and either two nights in Nancy to see the art nouveau sites and two nights Strasbourg OR 4 nights Toulouse with a daytrip to Albi to see the Lautrec Museum.

For the second and third weeks we'll be exploring the towns of the South of France--I'm thinking of Montpellier, Arles, Avignon, Aix-en-Provence before ending up in Marseille.

We're mainly interested in fine art and decorative art museums and architecture. We prefer towns/cities to small villages. Other than Paris we've been to Lyon (loved it) and Dijon (liked it but preferred Lyon). We will be travelling by train.

I'd appreciate any opinions as I'm going crazy trying to decide. I've been wanting to see Nancy/Strasbourg for a long time but Toulouse sounds great and the train is a bit easier.

Thanks for any help.
Old Aug 10th, 2017, 07:00 AM

I would opt for Toulouse, one of my favorite cities in France and fortunately just a train ride away from where we live. We go somewhat frequently and always find something new and fascinating to do.
Old Aug 10th, 2017, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks StCirq, I'm probably leaning towards Toulouse as it's a bit easier and I prefer a longer stay. I see it mentioned in a lot of 'best underrated French cities' lists.
Old Aug 10th, 2017, 07:38 AM

If going to Toulouse, consider the Ingres museum in Montauban, located in the former bishop's palace. Moissac has an abbey church whose portal is considered a major Romanesque monument.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moissac_Abbey

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca...7623877915948/ and subsequent pictures.

Montauban has a nice 17th cent. square:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca...7623877915948/
Old Aug 10th, 2017, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Michael. I have read about the Ingres Museum (probably in one of your posts!)--it's a definite daytrip consideration.
Old Aug 10th, 2017, 07:44 AM

Toulouse, along with Dijon, tie as our second favorite cities in France. Albi is on our list of "top 5" smaller cities.

We also prefer Toulouse over Strasbourg.

We spent 2 weeks in Nancy in 2015 because my wife loves Art Nouveau. We were there for their annual Patrimoine weekend - so even more art nouveau stuff was open. However, except for Place Stanislaus & the art nouveau - Nancy is not nearly as interesting as about 15 other similarly-sized cities we've visited. The countryside there was not as interesting either.

Toulouse & Albi would be my choice. Perhaps next time you are in Paris, take the TGV to Nancy for a day trip. It takes slightly more than 1 1/2 hrs to get there. Toulouse would make your remaining destinations easier to get to also.

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 10th, 2017, 07:49 AM

PS - on your day trip to Nancy, have breakfast or dinner at the art nouveau Brasserie Excelsior across the street from the train station. We had dinner there on arrival day, and breakfast there before catching our train to Paris.

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 10th, 2017, 07:49 AM

There is no one "correct" answer, all of those places are worth visiting, it's just a different trip-- Toulouse 4 days versus 2 Nancy and 2 Strasbourg.

I've been to all and liked them all, but I wouldn't put Nancy in the category of Toulouse, of course, but it is noteworthy for that Art Nouveau museum.

If Toulouse is a lot easier and fits in better, there is a lot to see there, and it would be something new. I suppose you'd want to see the Dupuy museum for decorative arts. Albi is nice, also.
Old Aug 10th, 2017, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Stu and Christina.

Christina, You're right there's no 'correct' answer and that's why it's driving me crazy trying to decide But I think Toulouse does make more sense this time--and since we seem to get to Paris every couple of years I'll aim to get to Nancy/Strasbourg next time.
Old Aug 10th, 2017, 08:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
As a northeasterner, I am completely prejudiced and would demand that you do Nancy-Metz-Strasbourg (one night in each) just because the area is totally underrated, and particularly Strasbourg provides a totally different experience from what you will see in most of the rest of France. (A lot of Toulouse, for example, looks just like Paris but with warmer weather.)

However, I am pretty sure that whatever area you choose, you will not be disappointed.

Nevertheless, I will just toss in two of my old photo reports (and I could have tossed another one in for Metz, too, but since you didn't mention it...).

Strasbourg in September: http://tinyurl.com/strasinsept

Nancy Place Stanislas: http://tinyurl.com/nancystanislas

Oh, and I also made a report about the art nouveau houses in a Nancy residential district.

Art nouveau Nancy: http://tinyurl.com/artnouveaunancy

I will admit, however, that if you twist my arm, I can also provide a photo report about Toulouse, which is a fantastic city as well.
Old Aug 10th, 2017, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

kerouac, You've just demonstrated my problem! As soon as I decide on Toulouse, I read something great about Nancy or Strasbourg (and actually I have considered Metz as well, at least to see the Pompidou). That's why my head is spinning.

I love your photo reports and it was one of your reports on the Christmas windows in Paris that inspired us to go at the end of November a few years ago.
Old Aug 10th, 2017, 08:46 AM

It's a difficult call, but I'd opt for Toulouse and Albi this trip as you are planning to spend the rest of your time in the south and it will be more convenient. I'd plan a week the next time visiting Nancy, Strasbourg, and towns along the Route des Vins d'Alsace.
Old Aug 10th, 2017, 09:00 AM

Have you been to Nice? It seems to fit your interests well: Belle Epoque architecture, lots of art museums in Nice and around. I particularly liked the Fondation Maeght, modern art in a memorable building.
Old Aug 10th, 2017, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks laverendrye and Mimar. I keep debating about Nice (haven't been there)--the museums and architecture do appeal to me and we just watched a documentary about Matisse and Picasso that made Nice look pretty tempting.
Old Aug 10th, 2017, 10:00 AM

We will be travelling by train.>

In case not versed in French trains book TGVs and long-distance trains far in advance to grab limited in number discounted tickets - far cheaper than just showing up and with as many trains as you are taking one of the few who should investigate the France Railpass-good soures of info: www.seat61.com - especially on discounted tickets; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

Near Toulouse you can also train to nearby Carcassonne to see a pristine medieval city-citadel (of course cobbled together from rubble in the mid-1800s but still a gem).
Old Aug 10th, 2017, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Pal. I normally buy my tickets ahead to get the cheap price but I'll study the rail pass info to see if it makes sense.
Old Aug 10th, 2017, 12:39 PM

Well you still need to pay with a pass for seat reservations on TGV trains -from a few euros to around 15 on some but most others you can just hop on.