Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Names of reasonably priced restaurants in Leicester Sq.?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/names-of-reasonably-priced-restaurants-in-leicester-sq-117253/)

mike Apr 7th, 2001 08:14 AM

Names of reasonably priced restaurants in Leicester Sq.??

Leaving tomorrow for five days in London. Staying at the Radisson Pastoria in Leicester Square. Would like to know names of some reasonably priced restaurants in area.m Thanks.

Kristin Apr 7th, 2001 10:06 AM

In London we found that the spread in restaurant prices is huge, but the good news is that with menus always posted outside, you can easily see what to expect before you go in. I know this is not exactly what you asked, but I think you can be rest assured that you will probably be able to quickly find something in the price range you have in mind, as long as it isn't too low.

Kenny Apr 8th, 2001 02:20 AM

Try to avoid restaurants on Leicester Square. They're mainly poor quality, over-priced places reliant on unsuspecting tourists. Nearby Soho (especially for ethnic restaurants) and Covent Garden areas are much better. Look out for restaurants full of local people that don't have menus in 8 different languages outside.

RJD Apr 8th, 2001 06:18 AM

I second Kenny's advice. Leicester square is very touristy and the resturants nearby the same. No good values and poor food. Look in the guidebooks for good resturants in Soho.

Patrick Apr 8th, 2001 02:06 PM

Oops, I was going to recommend a number of very good restaurants NEAR Leicester Square, but I guess you have already left for London. Next time, try to give us more than one day's notice to give some worthwhile information!

Patti Suttle Apr 8th, 2001 04:03 PM

Patrick-would you still give that information? I would like to know for our trip! Thanks-<BR>Patti

sherry Apr 13th, 2001 04:36 AM

Oscar's in Leicester Square is a lovely place to eat.Wonderful food and great service.You will love it.Actually we loved Leicester Square.Very,very friendly all around.

Jim Apr 13th, 2001 06:26 AM

Mike: <BR> <BR>Pick up the book "Cheap Eats in London"--it was invaluable while in London. This book not only gives you great advice but breaks out the restaurants in the various sections of London. <BR> <BR>

Patrick Apr 13th, 2001 02:30 PM

Within just a couple of blocks is Chinatown -- with dozens of good and very inexpensive dining options. A very popular place just to the east of Leicester Square is Brown's, bustling and noisy, but good and reasonable "British" food mostly with a modern touch. Porters just beyond that is a very reasonable restaurant that serves what many would call traditional pub food (but it it's really a restaurant, not a pub). They feature meat pies, fish and chips, pasties, and sticky toffee pudding. About 4 or 5 blocks north is Wagamamma, an often talked about and delicious Japanese "noodle house", very good, different,and reasonable. You sit at long tables in a very contemporary setting and order big bowls of various noodle dishes -- they are very helpful if you are unsure of what you are doing.

Patti Suttle Apr 14th, 2001 12:07 AM

Patrick-thanks! <BR> <BR>Patti

Leila Apr 19th, 2001 04:32 AM

You could but the Time Out Food and Drink guide from any bookshop which lists restaurants for all budgets all over London, but its about £7 which is probably not worth it if you're not staying long. Definetly avoid Leiceister Square tourist traps and head for soho. STAY AWAY FROM CHIQUITOS Mexican restaurant in Leicester Square - it is shockingly bad.

kavey Apr 19th, 2001 08:01 AM

Agree re Chiquitos, totally crap both food and service. <BR> <BR>In Soho I could recommend places such as L'escargot, soho soho and spiga. <BR> <BR>everyone'd idea of expensive differs, for me i tend to go only earlier in the evening on their pre theatre dinner menus... <BR> <BR>this way expensive rstaurants are within my range, e.g. criterion in picadilly, 5 mins walk from leic sq. <BR> <BR>in china town i enjoy harbour city <BR> <BR>in covent gdn try belgo central... <BR> <BR> <BR>kavey <BR>

Hans Apr 20th, 2001 06:27 AM

Hi, <BR>try some nice restaurants behind the Harrod's building. Nice restaurants , nice pubs. Hans

Me Apr 20th, 2001 09:32 AM

And remember, it's pronounced "Lester"