Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   names of London grocery stores? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/names-of-london-grocery-stores-149818/)

Frank Jan 7th, 2003 08:20 PM

names of London grocery stores?

I find it very convenient if there is a grocery store near the hotel. One can buy snacks or fruit. Maybe even make a sandwich for lunch.<BR><BR>What are some grocery stores in London? I have heard of Waitrose (they have a website) in Gloucester Road and in Marylebone. In Bayswater (Queensway), there's a Euro-something. Anything near the City (no?) or Euston?

janis Jan 7th, 2003 08:30 PM

Waitrose is a chain - they are all over. As are Sainsbury, safeway and tesco. London has lots of supermarkets and hundreds of smaller grocery stores and green grocers. Just wait til you get to your hotel and ask them where the nearest shop is. Likely it will be just around the corner.

Kelly Jan 7th, 2003 09:14 PM

You're probably thinking of Europa, which is a small grocery chain - more like a corner shop. Waitrose, Sainsburys and Tesco are all great. There are also quite a few Safeways. Marks and Spencer has great food as well.<BR><BR>In the City, there will be quite a few Tesco Metros around.

Meggie Jan 7th, 2003 10:02 PM

Frank, Two more - for sandwiches you can't beat Pret a Manger. They've got literally dozens of branches all over London.<BR><BR>Marks and Spencers - two in Oxford St, one in Kensington High St, Edgeware Rd and many more areas of London - is good for any kind of take-away cold snacks and convenience food.<BR><BR>

Nick Jan 8th, 2003 03:29 AM

There is a very large Marks &amp; Spencer in Moorgate in the City (if you mean the area around Bank of England). Bayswater is the Europa in Queensway (which unlike lots of them) is quite a large size - not just a corner store. Bayswater also has a Budgens and M &amp; S in the Whiteleys Centre and rip off (due to long hours operated) small stores like Spar. Waitrose in Gloucester Rd is pretty good. M &amp; S is easily the most expensive of the main stores - yes good quality for teh msot part, but value for money is another matter. Can't help for Euston.

Susan Jan 8th, 2003 02:25 PM

I will be renting an apartment in Chelsea in March. It's located on Draycott Place near Sloan Square. Does anyone know of a grocery store that's convenient to this area?<BR><BR>Thanks!

lm Jan 8th, 2003 03:04 PM

Susan,<BR>I stayed at an apartment on Draycott place and there is a Safeway on Kings Road by Sloane Avenue and a small Sainsburys on Sloane Avenue. Both are a few minutes walk from Draycott Place. Safeway is larger of the 2 and just be advised that for the Sainsbury chain, shoppers are expected to bag their own groceries. You'll love the Chelsea area, it's safe, on the upscale side, lots of shops - just wonderful!

Susan Jan 8th, 2003 03:09 PM

Thanks, IM for your reply.

Frank Jan 8th, 2003 03:41 PM

Thank you for your replies. I was thinking of staying at a different hotel than my usual. I haven't decided which hotel, but my usual hotel is near Waitrose in Gloucester Road.

xxx Jan 8th, 2003 08:48 PM

PEOPLE - I think you must not have enough to worry about! There is a small grocery on just about every street corner in London. A green grocers next to it. A wine merchant across the road. A news agent 2 doors down. A supermarket just up the road. It is LONDON - not some small one-horse village without any shops. 10 million Londoners are somehow able to find food without begging an internet site for help. EVERY flat or hotel any tourist is likely to visit will have shops within a short walk. DO all Americans micro manage holidays like this?

xxx Jan 9th, 2003 04:40 AM

To xxx ([email protected]): Yes, you are correct, London is a huge city and has many neighborhood shops near hotels.<BR>But please understand that this is not always the case in US cities.<BR>The original poster was simply inquiring .<BR>Also please note that the original poster gave no indication what county he is from.<BR>

carolyn Jan 9th, 2003 07:29 AM

There is a wonderful small grocery called Partridge's on Gloucester Road. It has great prepared carry out items and chocolates as well as regular food. I am clueless on directions, but walk left for a few blocks when coming out of the tube stop onto Gloucester, and the store will be on your right.

Sam Jan 9th, 2003 12:48 PM

If Frank is from the US, he might be thinking of some downtown hotels in the US where there are no supermarkets nearby. Philadelphia is one of those cities. There are a few corner shops, but their selection is limited and their prices are much higher.<BR><BR>If ones stays in Union Square in San Francisco, I don't know of any corner shops, let alone supermarkets. You can walk to Chinatown where there are small supermarkets.<BR><BR>In Los Angeles, you need a car anyway so it doesn't matter if a supermarket is not close to one's hotel.<BR>

mpprh Jan 9th, 2003 02:14 PM

Hi<BR><BR>You need to get a taxi to Fortnums, Selfridges or Harrods food hall.<BR><BR>Otherwise the Brits live on dead rats.<BR><BR>Maybe a slight exageration !<BR><BR>Peter<BR>http://tlp.netfirms.com<BR>

nancy Jan 9th, 2003 02:59 PM

I stayed in Chelsea on Sloane Ave near Kings Rd so don't know of a Safeway near you. But, in my travels around London I liked the Safeway best for variety. I had an apartment so bought food to eat in. People often mention the pre-made sandwiches at Marks &amp; Spencers or elsewhere but to me it's like getting an old sandwich in what they used to call auto-mats. Yuk! For some fun food shopping (albeit pricey) check out Harrod's. Bought some good bread and avocados - my great splurge.