Sardinia in May?

Old Mar 17th, 2013, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sardinia in May?

Hi there,

I'm looking to book an 8 day trip to Sardinia with a friend mid May. Is this a good time to visit and is the weather warm enough to enjoy the beach? As we don't drive manual cars, we will have to grab taxis to get around or private car services.

We'd also appreciate any assistance with a preliminary itinerary for 8 days? We love the beach, are both foodies and we are interested in exploring the sites (ruins), local villages, even open to day trips to La Maddalena and to Corsica. We prefer Boutique hotels rather large resorts also.

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 06:21 AM

We spent two weeks in Sardinia in early February - a week in Cagliari and a week just outside of Alghero (in apartments). Can't comment about the beach weather in May but we rented a car and could have easily booked an automatic (we drive a manual so didn't) so you might want to check that out. That would give you much more flexibility if you can drive yourself.

Re ruins - Pula is an easy drive from Cagliari (and I think an easy bus trip too). We also enjoyed the ruins at Tharros, further north on the west side. The town of Boca (north of Tharros) is very charming as well.

We really enjoyed Sardinia - food was great - I found this app very helpful

https://itunes.apple.com/app/sardini...531831321?mt=8
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 06:33 AM

Here's a link to our blog - scroll down for Sardinia posts (at the bottom of the page click on NEXT for more)

If you're foodies don't miss the market in Cagliari!

http://lizandrichardsa.typepad.com/2.../02/index.html
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 07:30 AM

Without a rental car transportation will be difficult and/or quite expensive. I think the Alghero and Olbia airports offer automatic trans. cars. Also, make sure you get AC as Sardinia can be very warm in May.
La Maddalena & Costa Smeralda in the northeast are the best bets and of course the Alghero on the west coast.
Ferry leaves west of Palau to Bonofacio in Corsica. If you have a car consider the mountain village of Zonza with a driving loop back to Bonafacio across the island and down the west coast. Easy drive
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 07:45 AM

Cagliari Hertz also had automatics (in February)
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 10:15 PM
Original Poster

Thankyou to all the responses so far!

How are the roads in Sardinia? I'm a little nervous to drive as I will probably be the one driving through out the whole trip.
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 01:06 AM

There are some pictures on our blog of some of our drives. The scenic routes can be twisty but with an automatic that shouldn't pose a problem. The highways are good. We found the drivers were quite reasonable.

There is a train as well - maybe you can combine car/train?
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank Elizabeth,

I'll look into both options
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 06:28 AM

You will find the roads in Sardinia are fine. The road between Alghero & Olbia is quite pleasant. Traffic is generally lighter during the hours of 1-4 pm due to Sardinian 'Reposo'.
In May the tourists have generally not yet began to amass and if you go off the beaten path some areas will seem deserted. Without a car you will miss many opportunities to stop & visit at lovely locations.
Old Mar 20th, 2013, 03:34 AM

Visiting Sardinia to May is the best ever choice you can make.

I love my country in any season, but in summer the fabled beauty of the beaches is invisible, submerged under the towels of many tourists, so they could not see the sand.
There are also places that are still untouched they can escape the overcrowding, but wherever you choose to go in May will always be better.
Moreover, at that time, you're lucky enough to find a flowery Sardinia, with the Mediterranean that comes close to the sea.

I do not know which destination you choose, but if you want to experience total freedom without sacrificing the beauty of the sea you should Villasimius, in the south, 50 km from Cagliari.
If you do not want to drive you can choose a hotel that offers transfers from the airport as Stella Maris [ http://www.stella-maris.com/ ] in front of Campulongu ('long stretch of sand' in Sardinian) bay. The hotel is located directly on a private beach within a nature reserve yet is just a few meters from the town center and the marina.
from there you can rent a boat with Skipper and to discover the hidden coves which are the unique richness of Sardinia.

If you are looking for further information in order to arrange your trip you can have a look on Villasimius Tourism Official Website [ http://www.villasimius.org ].
Old Mar 20th, 2013, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Much appreciated for your advice Parmenter & Flavio.