Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   nafplion, delphi and athens question (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/nafplion-delphi-and-athens-question-619374/)

lucy_luz May 29th, 2006 05:54 PM

nafplion, delphi and athens question

Author: lucy_luz
Date: 05/29/2006, 10:15 am
I just finished planning my trip to Greece this summer but I still have some concerns. After going to the islands (Santorini, Naxos and Mykonos)we are going to visit Athens and Nafplion.
We will be flying from Mykonos in the morning and then will drive to Nafplion and stoping in Corinths. In Nafplion we will stay 3 nights. We will have 2 full days to visit the sites around and maybe visit Mystras. We have some greek friends in Sparta that might join us there.
After Nafplion we where thinking on taking a day trip to Delphi and then drive to Athens all the same day. We will be hiring a taxi for this since it's a lot of driving. In Athens we will have 2 full days before coming home.
My questions are:

Should we eliminate Delphi from our Itinerary? Since it seems like a lot of driving or
Sould we go from Nafplion to Athens ansd then do the day trip to Delphi from Athens?

Here are the options

Day 1 -Mykonos to Naufplion
Day 2 - Nafplion
Day 3 - Nafplion
Day 4 - Nafplion /Delphi/Athens
Day 5 - Athens
Day 6 - Athens
Day 7 - fly home
or

Day 1 -Mykonos to Naufplion
Day 2 - Nafplion
Day 3 - Nafplion
Day 4 - Nafplion /Athens
Day 5 - Athens
Day 6 - Athens/Delphi/Athens
Day 7 - fly home

Thanks

Digbydog May 30th, 2006 07:04 AM

Don't miss Delphi. It is such a beautiful setting! It was one of our favorite spots in Greece.

Last summer we drove from Delphi to Nafplion. It is not a bad drive. There are winding, hilly roads, but very little traffic. We left Delphi right after breakfast, stopped in Myceanae on the way and were in Nafplion in the early afternoon. If you have a chance, try to spend the night in Delphi. The ruins are even more lovely when the tour buses have cleared out in the early evening/late afternoon.

lucy_luz May 30th, 2006 01:22 PM

digbydog,

I don't think I have enough days to stay overnight at Delphi. Which way did you drive to get to Nafplion in your trip? How long was it? If we leave Nafplion at 8:00 am at what time you think we would make it to Delphi and what time there are less people. I really want to see Delphi. It looks beautiful in the pictures. THanks for the information.
Lucy luz

Digbydog May 30th, 2006 03:17 PM

Lucy,

We were driving from Delphi to Nafplion according to the directions on viamichelin.com. According to that website, it is 3 and 1/2 hours between the two. We arrived in Delphi at midday, and it wasn't overwhelmingly crowded. However, we returned around 4 or 5 pm, and we were the only ones at the site. I don't know when you are planning to go, but we visited in June. I really thought it was one of the most memorable sites we visited, and I'm really glad we didn't miss it.

Carolina May 30th, 2006 10:30 PM

I would drive from Nafplion to Delphi, stay overnight and then drive to Athens the following aternoon. That way you can see Delphi both late afternoon and the following morning when it is a bit cooler. I would then have 2 nights in Athens instead of 3. Out of your 2 options, I prefer the fist as the second sounds tiring before your flight back.
Carolena