N. Ireland for 7 days

Aug 20th, 2002, 04:10 PM
Debbie

N. Ireland for 7 days

My husband and I and his elderly parents are traveling to N. Ireland for about 10 days around Christmas. We are chauferring his parents in a rental. Would anyone have any suggestions of what to see and do? We have traveled to London and southern parts of England in this past year and are venturing out. This is our first trip to Ireland and although we may be slowed down a bit with mom and dad, we will most likely have a little time to see a bit on our own.

Aug 20th, 2002, 06:37 PM
elvira

A lot of what we enjoyed in Northern Ireland was related to the outdoors - the glens of Antrim, Giant's Causeway, Ulster Folk Museum, Rathlin Island, Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge...we were there in August and it was chilly and rainy. I'm afraid that December won't be the best time for tromping around the coastline. We spent about one day in Belfast (get breakfast, gas up the car, go to a pharmacy) and the rest was in the countryside. Even the castles we visited were mostly open to the elements.

About the only truly indoor thing we did was visit Bushmills Distillery and eat at the wonderful inn the village (town?) of Bushmills.

Maybe others can help with things to do when the weather isn't conducive for long outdoor treks.

Aug 21st, 2002, 05:48 PM
Danna

Deb... We loved the Glenariff Forest Park, but the Waterfall Walk isn't conducive for elderly folks, it's downhill and steps. I don't know what all the other glens offer for visiting, but they are amazing! We stayed at the Meadows B&B in Cushendall on the east coast which has a room on the main floor that is accessible. The Giant's Causeway is accessible and fun. Have a grand time!

Aug 22nd, 2002, 07:29 PM
Debbie

Yes, we are a little crazy to go in the dead of winter. We were in England in early March, walking around the path at Stonehenge. It sprinkled off and on and at one point, there were snow flakes on my back. The wind was blowing and it was very cold. (We were able to imagine what those early Sarum folks experienced!) But, there were hardly any other tourists! Same in Bath, etc. We decided this was a decent trade off. We'll keep your suggestions in mind as we plan the trip. Hopefuly it will be dry part of the time. Thanks, so far.

Aug 23rd, 2002, 07:12 AM
sw

The Ards Peninsula just southeast of Belfast and it is beautiful. You can see Mountstewart House on the Ards, it was the home of a former British Foreign Minister and has some outstanding gardens. It would be very nice for elderly travellers. Enniskillen in Fermanagh is beautiful and has a castle that is still in use by the British Army. It has quite a museum. Londonderry is rather interesting with its walls and Cathedral, it is very quiet and not what the press makes it out to be. People are very friendly and helpful throughout Northern Ireland. Much less costly than the Republic.