Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Mykonos Grand, Cavo Tagoo, Saint Johns, Belvedere or Grace?

Mar 5th, 2014, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

I am travelling for 4 nights in August to Mykonos with my husband and 2 daughters ages 14 and 16. I have been reading lots on where to stay in Mykonos and am very confused as to which is the right choice. My travel agent suggested the Blu Grecotel which was double the price of the others for a family suite or 2 rooms for that matter and its reviews are mediocre. The Mykonos Grand gets the best reviews it seems but is sold out during my time in Mykonos. I can either restructure my trip to stay at the Grand or choose another hotel. Any feedback would be much appreciated!
Mar 5th, 2014, 07:13 PM

First, I presume you know that both hotels are away from the main town, so it is for those who just want to stay mainly around the hotel area.

Travel agent's behavior is usually predictable -- most commission. I don't use them and neither are many people at this forum. What travel agents recommend and what I want are mostly divergent. Before the age of internet, we did not have good resources to check hotels. That was more than twenty years ago! Now, you can dig up more interesting hotels than what the travel agents offer.

I have walked by Blu Grecotel. It's on a hill by Psarrou beach. I thought this beach(along with Platis Gialos next door) felt more claustrophobic than Agios Ioannis where Mykonos Grand is located. However, if I really wanted a mostly beach vacation, I would stay in Naxos with prettier and less crowded beaches.
Mar 5th, 2014, 09:52 PM

From all the hotels that you mentioned Cavo Tagoo is the best one, it is actually in my opinion the best hotel of Mykonos.

The hotel is located on the road that connects Agios Stefanos with Mykonos town, and you could walk to the town even though i would avoid it in August, due to traffic.
( August will be an extremely busy period on the island).
Only mention that because there will be endless lines waiting for a taxi, especially during the evenings.

Belvedere would be another option for a hotel located in Mykonos town.

Even though Naxos and Mykonos are both Cycladic islands, there is a big difference between the two. I love Mykonos for it's cosmopolitan character and the flair, and that made me visit it over 50 times so far... ( Ok i have the advantage of living in Athens, and Mykonos is ideal for a weekend... )
Mar 9th, 2014, 10:48 AM

hi Natalie, you might like to look at the Rochari hotel. My family (3 daughters) have stayed there every year since 1989 and cannot fault the service, friendliness and value for money. It is run by a wonderful family who really look after their clients, but beware they help to make holidays in Mykonos something of an addiction.
Have a great trip!!