Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Mykonos (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/mykonos-415502/)

Rachel_15 Aug 19th, 2008 02:58 AM

Mykonos

Hi:

I am planning on a vacation to Greece in September and I was thinking about 3 days in Mykonos and 5 days in Santorini. After reading several blogs, Mykonos seems bit touristy and like a party town. So I am thinking of skipping Mykonos and staying in Oia,Santorinini.

Or is Mykonos worth a visit...

Steve_James Aug 19th, 2008 03:20 AM

Hi Rachel - It depends what you want, I think.

Mykonos town is a delight, and the island has some nice beaches (- much better than Santorini).

Yes - one or two of the beaches turn into late night discos - but you don't have to party if that's not your scene.

If you want to visit a second island but don't fancy Mykonos, consider Naxos.

Hope this helps ...

Steve

franco Aug 19th, 2008 03:34 AM

True that Mykonos is incredibly touristy, in fact, it's one of the most touristy spots I've ever seen. But it's a rather acceptable level of tourism: expensive (for Greece, which is of course a very cheap country), more elegant than tourist crowds normally are, and above all: Mykonos Town is really pretty. (No, there is not one single "real" person living there. It's all and exclusively about tourism.)

BUT: one of the very few spots that are even more touristy than Mykonos is SANTORINI. And this is the worst, cheapest, dirtiest, ugliest, awkwardest kind of mass tourism you're ever going to witness. Oia is slightly better, but if Fira is tourism hell, then Oia is tourism purgatory. There's hardly an old house in Oia, as well, and if so, then it's been restored to the extent of making its age irrecognizable.

So if you want to escape tourism, skip both, follow Steve's advice, and go to Naxos...

littlejane Aug 19th, 2008 04:30 AM

I've had a very different experience - while both islands are very, very touristy I found Santorini, in particular Oia, to be really laid back and relaxing (as well as one of the most unusual and stunning places I have ever been. Don't miss the red beach).

Mykonos was more of a party town and maybe we were unlucky but we had a number of meals on Mykonos where the food was not great. next time I will dig out restaurant recommendations before I go to Mykonos to make sure we get good meals (a bit like Venice, where there are so many tourists the restaurants don't need to be good to survive).

Of the Cyclades I have visited Mykonos was my least favourite - I thought it was very expensive (like Santorini) but unlike Santorini I didn't see what was so special about it. Naxos and Paros now, they are special, nice contrasts to Santorini and more "Greek".

littlejane Aug 19th, 2008 04:37 AM

PS I meant to say that with 8 days personally I would do 2 islands. 5 on Santorini and 3 on another seems like a good combination.

littlemountain Aug 19th, 2008 06:03 AM

Personally, I think 5 days in Santorini is too long. Given their proximity and the still-regular ferry connections in September, I don't think it's at all a stretch to visit, say, Naxos for 3 nights, Mykonos for 2 nights and Santorini for 3 mights.

I didn't make it to Mykonos until I'd already been to Paros, Naxos, Crete, Sifnos, Santorini and Folegandros. I must say, it didn't add anything to my Greek island experience by then. Certainly, I think only going to Mykonos and Santorini would provide somewhat of a skewed sense of what Greek island life is really like.

Chania Aug 19th, 2008 06:17 AM

You have 8 days. Santorini is pretty and worth 3 days. You could do 2 days Mykonos and 3 days Naxos. Naxos has the best beaches of the 3 and will give you a better flavour of Greek island life.

tom_h Aug 19th, 2008 08:30 AM

franco: "There's hardly an old house in Oia, as well, and if so, then it's been restored to the extent of making its age irrecognizable."

Santorini suffered a large (Mw > 7) earthquake in 1956. Many, if not most, of the island's structures were destroyed.

franco Aug 19th, 2008 08:55 AM

Yes, Tom, that's part of the explanation. The other part is that good taste is simply not at home on Santorini. It wouldn't have been to rebuild in SUCH an ugly way (speaking particularly of Fira, but to a lesser extent also of Oia). Just compare to, say, the Valnerina in eastern Umbria that has been hit by an equally bad earthquake in 1979, and most villages there have been brought back to pristine condition, completely respecting the traditional way of building. In fact, you couldn't tell the difference between original and rebuilt houses.

franco Aug 19th, 2008 08:56 AM

"...it wouldn't have been NECESSARY to rebuild", sorry. I'll never learn to preview.

billbarr Aug 19th, 2008 09:38 AM

hello Rachel

Mykonos is well worth giving some thought to.

As others have said, it does have one of the prettiest towns in the Cyclades. In September the island will be a little quieter too.

I trust travelerjan's recommendations on the board and she would undoubtedly suggest Naxos. I wouldn't disagree.

It's a tough decision though. Each of the popular islands has something special to those that love them.

Bill

wug Aug 19th, 2008 11:47 AM

Such a tough choice! I've been to both islands numerous times. I, also, do not like touristy places but, I do like Santorini and Myconos.

Myconos town is beautiful. September will be better as far as the crowds. One of the main draws to Myconos is the ease of visiting Delos. We took our daughter and her friend to Greece two years ago and did Myconos just so they could visit Delos. I probably won't go back to Myconos again, mainly because I've been there so many time. If you do go, choose a smaller beach away from town. The bus system is great there and it's easy to get around.

We absolutely love Oia on Santorini. We'd never stay in Fira and we do avoid it when we're there.

One way to avoid the tourism feel is to choose a place to stay that is owned by a local. For instance, the last time we stayed in Oia we rented a cave house from a local. No restaurant, no "services" except for a wonderful local lady who was working on restoring some of the damaged original houses to their original flavor.

I'd say if you decide to take out one of the two, definitely add Naxos, or just add it anyway. We LOVE Naxos. Very Greek feel. People live there and make a living there on things besides tourists. Tons of exploring all over the island to be done, beautiful beaches, much less expensive than the other islands.

There is also Antiparos. A very small island off of Paros. Another great Greek island that is quiet.

Of course, there is also Corfu, Crete, Hydra, etc. etc...
So many islands, so little time!

SuQue Aug 19th, 2008 01:07 PM

We had a wonderful experience in Mykonons and did not see the party scene at all. Other hotel guests were Greek and other European families. Mykonos Town is charming. Santorini was so touristy and the other hotel guests were all Americans. We stayed in Oia which was less crowded than Fira. Include Naxos and/or Paros to see a more typical island.

taller_is_better Aug 21st, 2008 04:21 PM

Hi Rachel - I just returned this week from both islands. I enjoyed Mykonos only for the tour to Delos. It's very crazy in the evenings so if you like to party then definately go. I went with my 30 year old daughter and she can't wait to go back! Santorini was amazing. Yes it was touristy but not out of control. We spent 3 days there. You should end your trip there, unwind, relax and enjoy the sunsets they are truly memorable.