Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

My wierd itinerary for September - car nut/buff oriented trip

Old Nov 24th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We changed our May trip to September. Flying into Frankfurt, and this is what we have planned. Will take the train directly to Basel, and spend two nights. The day after we arrive, we'll go to Mulhouse to see the Schlumpf Collection. From there on to Torino, where we will see the Pininfarina private collection and also see car exhibit at the Exposition Center (car museum closed for renovation). From there to Bologna, where we'll take the Motorsports tour to the car museums/factories in Modena. After that, we have to head back to Frankfurt and will stop in Bolzano and spend two nights there (no cars, just breaking up the trip). All our travels will be by train.

My husband the car nut has been quite sick and I'm planning this trip to incorporate car sites that I am sure he will enjoy.

If anyone has any suggestions for another place to stay between Bologna and FRA, other than Bolzano, I'm all ears.
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 12:57 AM

If you or your husband are not fed up with cars after your trip to Italy, you could do a stopover in Stuttgart for the Mercedes and Porsche museums.
The new Porsche museum is supposed to open in 2008, though I was not able yet to find an exact date.

Alternatively, Munich's new BMW museum will open in spring 2008.

There are several direct trains from Bolzano/Bozen to Munich each day. Going to Stuttgart would take longer, and requires changing trains in Munich.
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 05:34 AM

<i>My husband the car nut has been quite sick and I'm planning this trip to incorporate car sites that I am sure he will enjoy.</i>

I started planning our recent trip to Germany to help my husband's spirits while he spent 11 months recovering from spinal fusion. Travel is good for the soul. Good luck to your husband.

If your husband enjoys driving fast, not far from Frankfurt is the N&uuml;rburgring, where you can take your own car for a spin around the North Loop, or hire a car and driver to chauffer you at speeds up to 300 km/hr.

www.nuerburgring.de

In Sinsheim, Germany is the Auto &amp; Technik Museum. We haven't been there, but the two Concorde jets sitting in the parking lot caught our eye while we were passing by the complex on the train.

According to their brochure which I picked up, in addition to a French and Russian Concorde, they also have more than 300 classic cars, 200 motorcycles, 40 racing cars, the largest permanent formula-1-show in Europe, 60 airplanes, 20 locomotives and much more. There is a sister museum located in Speyer.

www,technik-museum.de/uk

Enjoy your travels. Robyn &gt;-
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 05:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, robyn,

intrigued by your reference to the &quot;russian concorde&quot; [and pretty certain they never got their hands on teh real thing] I googled the www.technik-museum.de [your link was slightly wrong] and found that it's a Tupolev, which rang a slight bell in my memory.

these look like great trips for mechanically minded DHs [and DWs of course] - i hope that your efforts, OTC, will be properly appreciated by a subsequent trip catering for YOUR interests!

regards, ann
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 07:20 AM

Sinsheim has got them both, the French Concorde and the Tupolew. The transport of the 'real' Concorde to Sinsheim by truck was a big affair hereabouts a year or two ago.
If you don't believe me: http://www.museum-sinsheim.de/

Another great museum similar to the one in Sinsheim/Speyer is the Verkehrshaus in Luzern.
Since your time is limited, orangetravelcat, I suppose Stuttgart will be your best bet, though.

Another great stop for a car buff would be the VW Autostadt in Wolfsburg, but that would mean adding such an enormous detour to your itinerary that I'd recommend leaving that for a later trip.
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses. Originally, we thought about the Mercedes Museum but Stuttgart just didn't sound that great to me but maybe I will rethink it, especially if the Porsche Museum will be open by then. (He's a Porsche guy - has a speedster and a coupe - both from the fifties, I forget the years).
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 10:47 AM

OK, orangetravelcat, I like you so I will try not to take that last comment about Stuttgart too personally! ;-)

You really ought to include some German automotive sites on your list. A dual visit to the new Mercedes and Porsche museums would make a great stopover and Stuttgart WAS voted the most desirable German city to live in in a poll of some 250,000 German citizens, so there's something going for this place!

The new BMW world in Munich should be fantastic, but as cowboy said, there is no opening date listed yet. Another option is the Audi museum in Ingolstadt, just north of Munich - smaller than the Mercedes museum but also a fantastic facility and the customer center next door is something to see.

The two Technik museums (Sinsheim and Speyer) are both interesting - my husband has been to both and I've been to Sinsheim. Sinsheim has a crazy collection of trains, planes, and automobiles, as well as every type of military machinery under the sun.

artstuff mentioned the Nuerburgring Nordschleife - it's legendary and awesome, but I would not recommend driving it yourself (certainly not in a rental car) unless you have previous track experience. If you want to shell out the big bucks (250-300 Euro for one lap), you can experience it as a passenger in a BMW M5 Ring Taxi or a Zakspeed Viper.

We also recently took a driving tour through the Swiss and Italian Alps, so if you want any suggestions for great driving roads along your route, I can probably provide a few.

Old Nov 25th, 2007, 11:25 AM

There are assessments here on this forum that I really cannot understand. Many people here write bad things about Frankfurt or Stuttgart and have never been there.

Certainly Stuttgart is a nice city - with a beautiful park, a historic railway station, an outstanding art museum with breathtaking James-Stirling-architecture and many more.

The Porsche Museum will be a MUST. Also breathtaking architecture. Expect an ultra-contemporary museum.

I can also recommend the N&uuml;rburgring. You can drive the 21-km-long Nordschleife. This is one of the world's most famous racetracks. You can drive by yourself or you can take the Ring Taxi - but only if you are absolutely fearless and if you have a good stomach!
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

I phrased my comment about Stuttgart incorrectly. I should have said, on this trip there were other places I wanted to see and since we can't see everything on this trip, I had to pick and choose. I meant no disrespect to Stuttgart, hausfrau! We may include it on our itinerary, after all.
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 02:15 PM

orangetravelcat

could I just be sure - your husband owns a 1950s Porsche 356 speedster and is leaving it to travel anywhere - insane - that is the greatest car every to grace any road - stay put and enjoy it more! LOL
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Yes, you heard it right, markrosy.
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 02:46 PM

Orangetravelcat

I have to wait another 17 years for mine! I think the Schlumpf collection also includes a New Bugatti Veyron which is the most advanced car ever made.
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Curious, markrosy. Why do you have to wait 17 years? What happens then?
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 12:37 PM
jgg

My hubby is a car fanatic as well. We are planning a trip to Munich in June - really hoping that the BMW museum is open by then. Hadn't heard about the Audi Museum in Inglostadt - how far is it from Munich? Is it possible to do via train/bus from Munich?

We are planning on renting a car, but hoping not to have to do so until we leave Munich for Prague
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 12:49 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
As a former ragtop Porsche owner ('59 1600) I hesitate to suggest this, but...

Why not pick up a new BMW in Munich and drive instead of flying? Visit Bimmerfest.com and have a look at the European Delivery and &quot;Ask a Dealer&quot; forums, where you can get tips on buying one cheaply enough that even if you sell it on your return you're still ahead, or close to it.

That way you could stay at a fave hotel near Bolzano (but not accessible by train) at Schloss Korb - http://www.schloss-hotel-korb.com
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 01:08 PM

orangetravelcat

my 2 year old will be leaving home!
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Gardyloo, your suggestion is not one I'm going to mention to my husband! We need another car like we need a hole in the head (and we don't need a hole in the head).
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Now we (and by that I mean, I - since I am the planner in the family) are thinking of changing the itinerary to include a visit to the Porsche factory in stuttgart if we can arrange it. So, then, of course, we would also see the Mercedes Museum.

Be we also want to see the Schlumpf Collection, and go to Turin, and take then take the Motorsports tour to the factories and museums in Modena, so now I am trying to figure out how to fit this all in. We will arrive FRA on Sept 9 and fly out of FRA on Sept 20. I can't change our tickets because they are FF tickets and there's no availability to/from anywhere else that works with our dates.

Suggestions?