Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Isanbul: how much should I withdraw from my ATM?

Old Sep 1st, 2016, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone,

We'll be in Istanbul for the first time and I have no idea what to expect regarding prices there.

I'd prefer not to be stuck with extra Turkish lira at home.

Since we'll be there for about half a day, how much should I withdraw in Turkish lira to cover the following for 2 Adults in Sultanahmet:

1) taking round-trip ferry ride (not a cruise, just the ferry);
2) buying 1 pair of ornate indoor slippers (for Women) from Arasta Bazaar;
3) Entrance Fees (either to Blue Mosque or Basilica Cistern, 1 or 2 places max--though probably just 1 due to TIme Constraints);
4) buying 1 decorative lamp from Arasta.

Food for the day--and transportation from and to the Airport--we've already got covered.

Many thanks for your Estimates!
Old Sep 1st, 2016, 06:43 AM

Make sure the lamp is wired for the country you are from. You don't want to get it home and it have a European plug.
When I was there I noticed the plugs were the round type and asked about North American type plugs and they told me they would have to be ordered.
A half days does not seem like enough time to do these things. But Turkey is less expensive than a lot of places.
You can find the pricing for the Blue Mosque,Cistern and ferry ride on the internet so I would do that and go from there.
Depending on the size of the lamp, they run from 20-50 dollars. Exchange rate is roughly 3 lira to a dollar.
Old Sep 1st, 2016, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

MarthaT: Thanks... I will ask the Lamp store regarding this!

I know, I may have to sacrifice either visiting the beautiful Monuments... or doing the ferry ride. I love being on the water and seeing the CIty from this Perspective. So this will be a difficult choice...

What do you project the nice slippers would cost?
Old Sep 1st, 2016, 07:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
You can pay in USD at the Arasta Bazaar, so no need to change for that. Currently $1=TL2.95. So you can calculate at three to one.

Ferry and trams are 4 TL each way. The tokens can be purchased at Sultanahmet tram station and at ferry landing in Eminonu.Tea on ferry is less than 3TL.

Sultanahmet Mosque (Blue Mosque) and all mosques are free.

Lamps do not usually come with US plugs, but you can buy adapters from European to US easily on line or at airport or at drug stores in Us, if you cannot find them in Istanbul.

You can take ferry to Kadikoy and back early in the morning before Arasta and mosque or cistern are open.
Old Sep 1st, 2016, 07:39 AM

If your accommodation is to be paid after your stay, and they can be to paid in TL, then they usually let you do a split tender. In fact, many hotels are used to tourists getting rid of the local currency this way. Leaving exactly the money needed to get back to the airport, if it is not a pre-paid transfer, empty your wallet/pocket of TL towards the accommodation bill, then cover the rest with a credit card.
Old Sep 1st, 2016, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to you all... this is great info!

otherchelebi: Yes, I think I will sacrifice sleep in order to do the Ferry + Blue Mossque/Cistern + Arasta. But how often does one get to see Beautiful Istanbul, right?

Cheers!
Old Sep 1st, 2016, 09:07 AM

Dont bother with plug. You unscrew it at home, get rid of the plug and put one that you bought next door or that has been sleeping several years in your garage.

For me the cistern is the most beautiful site of Istanbul. And all the rest is splendid.

Plus people are super nice.
I have a friend who doesn't like Turkey because he feels a lot of homophobia but being heterosexual I have never taken care. Maybe OC can comment o this ?

In any case you have the right spirit. Enjoy !

Ps : I am wearing my Istanbul t-shirt that I bought the day after the Ataturk attack. Hope to go back soon.
Old Sep 1st, 2016, 12:48 PM

Thanks bettyo70.

Take the large municipality ferry rather than the smaller Turyol to get a better feeling of timelessness. Ferry will be empty going to Kadikoy to give you time to walk to different parts and take photos. If it is a weekday, Kadikoy to Eminonu will be crowded with commuters.

Here's the timetable:

http://en.sehirhatlari.istanbul/en/t...inonu-354.html

Hi Whathello. I will report on homophobia in Turkey on my running thread which I have been neglecting.
Old Sep 1st, 2016, 01:19 PM

otherchelebi,
Do you need "cash" for all these purchases -- whether in US Dollars or Turkish Lira?

Lately we've been traveling and not using actual money at all. We just buy everything with credit card - from underground passes, to food, to store bought items, ferry rides and most other forms of public transportation, etc.

Norway has become almost entirely cash free and while in England a few months ago I paid for almost everything with only a credit card.
Old Sep 1st, 2016, 01:56 PM

nanabee, Arasta bazaar shops will usually accept cards.

you need cash for street food like simit or the savory cheese pastry and the tea on the ferry.

you also need cash, TL or $. No foreign coins though, for tips.

You probably can find a machine for single ferry tram tokens but I do not know because I have a senior citizen card which gives me free ferry, bus and tram rides.

My wife fills her Istanbul card either with a credit card or cash.
Old Sep 1st, 2016, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Whathello: The photos I've seen of the Cistern really are captivating.

otherchelebi: We'll be in the city on a Sunday.

Thanks again, Everyone... love this site!
Old Sep 4th, 2016, 12:15 PM

Believe me, you'll have no problems. I'm an American living in Turkey (for 13 years now), and I live on ATM withdrawals. My bank is in the US. Every now an then I withdraw 1,000 Turkish Lira to pay my rent and bills. That's roughly $338 USD. One tip though. Use ATMs from Ziraat Bank or HalkBank if you can (they are easy to find). These banks don't charge extra for ATM withdrawals. Have a great time in Istanbul!
Old Sep 4th, 2016, 12:59 PM

Hagia Sofia: 80 TL (for 2)
Basilica Cistern: 40 TL (for 2)
Ferry 16 TL (Round trip for 2)
Arasta: Use your credit card
Restaurant: same
Miscellaneous: 50 TL (street food, tips, etc.)
Total: 186 TL ($63)

So all in all, I think 200 TL should have you covered.
Old Sep 4th, 2016, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

IvanTekly & Loacker: Thanks so much!

Is Arasta Bazaar a good area to shop for Women's Clothing too... for example, pretty blouses?

Cheers!